Has anybody shipped pollen?

If i want to pollinize one bud, can this be done? What would be the best way to do this?

Old overgrow used to have people shipping pollen. Problem is. Pollen goes unviable quick if not stored properly. But you can do selection pollenation with pollen and a little paintbrush. It works great for personal breeders that still want some sensi

3 Likes

I was thinking of getting some regular seeds and once the males are out, try and collect all the pollen i can to, yes, apply it to the bud and see what happens… Maybe i can get me some stable seeds off of the same strain by doing this… Thanks man!

Actually if you do that you will get seeds called f1. They show a wide variety of phenos.

1 Like

So that’s an F1! It’s all coming back. Now to put it to good use…

1 Like

I’ve shipped it, but with low success rate. fresher is always better. I’ve done everything sealed packs with desicant and oxy absorbers. It just doesn’t keep. I might try frozen pollen.

2 Likes

Pollen is very hard to dry, freeze and store properly. Otherwise it will die in about 3 days time. Frozen properly it will last for up to about a year. Some say longer. I have a batch from 2 years ago that I need to clear out of my freezer now in vials. I have found that in general sativa pollen dries fast as it tends to be more granular and finer and is easier to work with, whereas indica tends to clump and be damper and be harder to work with.

Another way to get pollen shipped (or to trade or give away to breeders) and to keep it viable longer is to send a fresh cut top cluster of male flowers and put the stem in a floral spike with water and a little Listerine. Ya, Listerine. The gold stuff that tastes terrible. UC Davis did a long study of floral preservatives many years ago, and found that Listerine worked the best of any, including Florever and a lot of other commercial flower preservatives. About a TB in a gallon of water is enough. Anyway, the idea here is to get a sprig of male flowers that have already opened, some that are about to open, and a some that are going to open in a few days or a week out. So that when the top arrives at its destination, some flowers will still be alive, and the pollen ripening in them will still be viable. There is enough pollen in ONE single male Cannabis flower to pollinate over a thousand female flowers. You can just tap the male top and it should release pollen from the open males. Or you can use a small paint brush, but I prefer tapping and dusting the females with the opening male flowers. If you have ever grown them, you know that male Cannabis flowers literally DUMP pollen. It is a fine yellow dust and it gets everywhere, as it has evolved to do.

5 Likes

Great advice. But, Listerine! HAHAHA!

So is your question. how to pollinate only one part of a plant and keep the rest as a sensi crop? If so this is how I have done it in the past. Grow out all seeds once sex is determined by pre flowering at the node remove all but the males you wish to breed. Now you have your male/males selected. Remove all arms but 1 or 1 from each male plant, once the main male flowers are starting but (not open) place aclear bag over the bud site and remove any that are not covered then spray the full plant that dosent fit in the bag or you could take the flowering arm home and place it in water at this stage to sheed pollen. If you put it in the bag because you cant flower at home ect go back in 2 days and it should be dropping pollen. Snip the arm without removing it from the bag and take it away from the females. Empty the pollen onto a pice of tin foil and remove all flowers and place the pollen in a paper dag with a little rice somewhere warm and dry for 24hr. Then simply empty your pollen into a clipper bag or container go back with a brush and paint it onto your lady’s where you want. If you want to post some send the clipper dag in the post.

1 Like

Thanks man, great advice, the part about drying it, so good! Thanks @Brock1!

1 Like

Its actually true about using Listerine as a floral preservative. I grew lots of orchids and roses for many years when I lived in California. My orchid collection is now on permanent loan at my friends’ on the coast in Sonoma County.

Most floral preservatives contain these three items: something to kill bacteria, something to acidify or lower the water pH which makes it easier for the stem to take up water, and a nutrient to feed the bloom. Listerine mouth wash contains all three of these items and is highly recommended as a home-made floral preservative. If you do not believe me, look on the American Rose Society web site.

3 Likes

Whoever said i don’t believe you man! I found it very unusual and funny at the same time so i was surprised, is all. Hope i didn’t bother you in anyway man! Sorry if i did, came out like that u know.

1 Like

ask @Bob13. it was still viable and it took two weeks to get to me . have some.in the fridge still

1 Like