Pollen hunting

Hi guys, after alot of thinking &encouragement from some of you fine people, I have a plan in mind and a goal to strive towards, breeding my own medicine tailored to suit my needs. So after searching and hopefully finding the right strains for me I want to do some crosses to see what I can conjure up. So I’ll need pollen! Is it a possibility to buy pollen and is it something you guys store? I read if it’s airtight and refrigerated it can last, is this true?
The strains I will be searching for pollen of are the following:
Romulan
-black domina
-88 hp
-kromes the white
-Snuggle funk
Pre 98 bubba k
-uw hp
-dna recon
-white Russian
-white widow
'Gorilla glue #4.
Let me hear what you guys think and if this is a possibility to achieve? Thanks guys all your advice and pointers is greatly appreciated. Peace :v:

4 Likes

It is possible to acquire pollen from outside sources.

There are many ways to store it that I hear are effective but I’ve never done it personally. Well, that’s not true. I have some really old stuff in the freezer but I haven’t tried it.

That’s a lot of strains to collect pollen from in one go. I’d have a hard time keeping it all straight.

Best I’ve done is two different kinds of pollen at a time but that’s partially due to space considerations. With different gear I could have gotten away with more probably.

If it were me I’d run a good number of those different girls, collect two types of pollen and cross the shit out of them by pollenating (and labeling) individual branches.

Best of luck.

5 Likes

Pollen is occasionally available but if it needs to be one of the ones listed, best plan is to start growing them yourself. If you start seeds you can have pollen in just a couple months, ripe seeds a couple months after that.

Many of those listed are clone only plants so you’d need the clone and reverse it yourself or get someone else to do it. Many are readily available as seeds and half will be males.

5 Likes

This is certainly a step up from the “one plant or maybe two” I think I read from you like yesterday. I am not sure if you want to collect all the strains or if you are asking that people send you the pollen of all those strains. Anyway I would advise you to take small steps and with the plant numbers I think you mentioned in mind, grow

• one female of a strain that helps you or you assume it does
  • one male of the same strain to make more seeds to work with OR a male of a different strain that you think will be beneficial to make seeds

You will likely have to start more than those two seeds to get what you want, so it will be easier to start with a single strain. Regular seeds, plant 3 or 5 or more if you got the space and select a male and a female. Make more seeds. Store some pollen. Learn from this experience. Start another strain.

You can have some pollen after a month if you do 12/12 from seed, depending on the strain and individual plant.

10 Likes

Thanks mate I think I must have worded it wrong, sorry about that, what I was trying to say is that is it possible, I still will only have one or 2 Max girls and in my mind I was thinking I could paint brush some pollen on a couple of the branches of either one and tag the branches. So if I had the 2 girls and managed to successfully pollinate 2 or 3 branches of each I could make a couple of crosses at the same time.
Sorry for the miscommunication I’m pretty excited about all this and get ahead of myself. Peace to you brother :pray:

7 Likes

That sounds perfect! Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips and advice mate I think I’ve still got a lot to learn! But all this is giving me a real buzz it’s a great feeling, I hope I can do what you did too I’ll be on a small scale my list was just the ones I hope to use one day, cheers mate :+1:

4 Likes

I collect and store pollen often. I put it in those micro centrifuge tubes with some grains of rice and keep in the fridge. I’ve used pollen 6 months after collecting it and it was still viable.

4 Likes

Stored/mailed pollen has been really hit or miss for me. I’ve tried 6 different pollen so far, and 2 were really successful, 1 is still being tested but looked at least partially viable, the rest have not done anything. The collecting/sifting and drying is very important. I have a few other pollens I have to try but I know to have the next one or a viable one lined up in case (if I really wanted to make some seeds)

4 Likes

Some of those will be very hard to get a verified clone and there are more fakes then legit. The gg4 is unstable and the white is rather bland. Depending on what you can get to breed with I would make a decision from there. Mac 1 and mendo breath both have a very heavy narcotic type high, not just strong but makes your head heavy and puts me down even during bouts of insomnia. Mac 1 can be finicky and slow growing and I haven’t grown mendo breath only smoked it. I would think the 88g13 hash plant , or black dom would make a great pairing with either of the before mentioned strains as would many of ak bean brains or cricket and cicadas offerings. I’ve seen some interesting stuff from dominion and top dawg also that might give you some knock down style plants.
Read about the specific effects of certain terpenes and look for strains that are heavy in the terps that match your needs.

3 Likes

I kept pollen in a vial in the fridge for around a year and it was still very much viable. So it is possible. You are definitely better to grow out your own plants from seed and collect rather than try to source elsewhere. You write like an English man :thinking:

2 Likes

I didn’t see that he was asking for MAC1… but if he were, there’s bigger problems than how the plant grows. MAC1 is a triploid, apparently, so most of the seeds produced - if any are produced - will be non-viable or badly mutated.

2 Likes

We wasent asking for it but I was recommending it based on what is being sought after. I don’t beleive it’s a triploid but I could be wrong, that is realy rare unless induced threw chemical treatment.

2 Likes

That’s great to know mate then I’ll be able to do the same and I can then plan ahead :+1: cheers :beers:

1 Like

Ok thanks for the info mate I was wondering about how it’s collected/dried and I guess that plays a role in its viability it’s pretty awesome though you’re making the seeds you want, I really hope I can do the same. Would be pretty cool also to give to fellow people with medical needs too I think free seeds that potentially hold a key to making someone’s life easier is pretty great :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your info guys I haven’t heard of mac1 but I can’t get cuttings over here so seeds it is, cheers guys :+1:

1 Like

why do you say the white is bland? like terp wise or what

Yes, it definitely is rare; I’ve never heard about reliable evidence of another triploid strain that wasn’t induced through colchicine treatment. I don’t know myself, of course, but @ReikoX has mentioned several times that he’s seen a study indicating it’s a real triploid. It doesn’t make it impossible to reproduce, but almost impossible, from what he’s said. I could be wrong; and I’m guessing he didn’t conduct the study himself, so I suppose he could be too, but I’m not spinning this from whole cloth at any rate. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hey @Cranio . Here’s how I collect and keep my pollen straight. Some good tips from other members as well.

2 Likes

Follow these instructions! His and Doug’s PPP pollen (following lefty’s instructions) were the most successful pollen I’ve tried so far.

1 Like