Has anyone tried grafting?

Bump. Wondering if anyone has successfully grafted marijuana onto a hop vine?

2 Likes

You’d be better off using a pure sativa with a ridiculous root system than hops.

The branch with no roots is called the scion, and it needs to be about the same size as the branch it’s being attached to, on the rootstock, so that the xylem and phloem match up. The two are taped together with parafilm, and with a little luck they’ll fuse.

5 Likes

You should make an illustration showings us this procedure. So far I’ve heard of three different ways to do this. Happy new year btw Diggy.

1 Like

Done it a few times (canna to canna, not hops). Unless you are SERIOUS about a low plant count, I haven’t found a convincing “Why” beyond coolness. Different nutrient requirements are a hassle, as is the scion scoffing at apical dominance. There are also neighboring branch issues that want more study.

Hops is a dream. Possibly achievable.

2 Likes

Hi all

I’m chasing up any info on doing grafts with our favourite beneficial 'erb.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. I was thinking of how it could be done.

Basically what the plan so far (roughly- help me!!) would be to take a rootstock of a really fast growing plant that develops quickly. then I will slice into the stem with a razor blade and insert cuttings with woody bases dipped in rooting hormone/auxin. I wasn’t too sure what to do past then but was probably going to wing it with some tape over the wound or maybe superglue, a bit of foil and a plastic bag over the inserted graft.

The eventual aim would be then to get a sort of fruit salad plant happening so I can enjoy the benefits of multiple strains without having to grow them all, just one big chonky girl.

Let me know. Have some pics of buds as payment

C

8 Likes

Purple: Choc Mint OG
Green: Amnesia Haze

2 Likes

I seed plenty of info from lightattic I believe his name is
He if selling a book on fluxing technique ( manifold style new name ) is grafts 12 different strains on a mom

The best info I read was on the open grow forum (sannies )from foolonthehill it’s a great read but the dude an ass but knows plants

One day I’ll try this my self

1 Like
3 Likes

Hit me with all your tips and tricks guys I’ll give it a go!

Will read thread and get back to you

1 Like

Use a grafting tool. It will make your time grafting enjoyable. It cuts ends to fit perfectly together like two puzzle pieces. The Tool looks intimidating but super easy to use. Good luck.

3 Likes

I’m curious, kinda just skimmed through so may have missed it. I grow organic produce for a living and grafting tomatoes is nothing new. Better root stock makes better growing and healthier plants. But with tomatoes plants are grown just for root stock. How do you know you have better root stock with weed plants or.is this just.for growing multiple strains.on one plant?

5 Likes

One scenario I can think of is starting seed for root stock, then grafting clones to that root stock. This would, in theory, give the advantage of having a tap root where a standard clone does not.

4 Likes

Ah, didnt even considered clones. That actually makes perfect sense even to a dummy like me. :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t know if anyone is doing it. It could make for quite a fun study. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve never grafted but I’ve broken many branches and held them together with duct/packing/electrical tape. Never had a problem.

4 Likes

Did you try it? I got a few trees I’ve been wanting to do it to.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking of grafting mom’s.

2 Likes

I have a few fruit trees. They’re not producing any fruit I need to get a tree that does

3 Likes

That was funny I had to think about that for a minute I was laughing so hard. I wish I could do it to my arm. Lol. Not mom’s

1 Like

Using grafting techniques to not only help reduce plant count but using it to breed and save genetics.