Heating a grow tent in the winter

Hi bro, you can get those tube heaters you clamp to a piece of wood that nowadays can also come with an inbuilt thermostat. In your case though you’d need quite a few of them eh. You can also maybe run your extraction on a timer so the heat get’s a chance to build up a bit. Insulation under the tent can help big time too, even cardboard works well if nothing else is around but you probably know this stuff already. Good luck with the grow :thumbsup:

7 Likes

Bought one from screw fix years ago works a treat. Great tip.

The tube heaters one a timer work great and are cheap and come in different lengths.

1 Like

I think I know the heaters you mention - will have to give them a look.

Cab will be insulated with 1” styrofoam on all sides and elevated off the concrete floor. I have an inkbird stc-308 for heating and cooling control so good there.

Thanks!

3 Likes

You got it sussed bro :thumbsup:

1 Like

If you have 500w extra in there get another light and tent and flip flop flower and cycle air between tents. Smaller the better.

So the garage gets to -10F or the outside?

2 Likes

Welcome to OG. Post up in the thread and let us know a bit about yourself.

1 Like

I’m in Canada - so I would say we may average -10-15C during the winter where I am (during a cold snap). As I am in a garage it will likely be warmer.

Based on the calcs I’ve run i look to need about 200-250 watts to heat the area…

Think the baseboard heat is going to be the safe way to go… hope it will provide enough convection to heat the box!

Unfortunately the setup won’t allow for a flip-flop of 2 lights.

Mike

3 Likes

What I do in winter is grow autos on ether 24/0 or 20/4 and dial the exhaust fan to the minimum with a variable voltage wall adapter

4 Likes

Autos may have been the way to go… already a month in with some regular ones so we’ll see if I can make this work.

Good thought for future.

I’m a bit old school tho - how far have autos come? Do they hold up against standard non auto plants as far as strength and flavour?

1 Like

check autoflower.net
They have come far, many great strains out there.

I am in Missouri. I am growing in a open air ventilated attic. I use a box fan combined with a space heater that is 20$. I can achieve 80 degrees with the leds on. 60 degrees off. That’s when its 30 outside. Its 73 max when its below 15 degrees with lights on but I am researching innovative ways to insulate.

1 Like

I think the baseboard heater - with a small circulating fan - will work great. I might be tempted to add another 1" of insulation, but you have to balance that with getting rid of the heat when the lights are on.

2 Likes

Pretty far. I was in your shoes about 4 months ago. Starting up from a break of well over a decade. Had two runs of autos so far and they have not disappointed. Some are better than others. Look in my profile for a crop king autos grow log if you feel like it.

I am facing some cold considerations too. Also north of 49 but in the frase valley of BC so not so cold, maybe 0 to -5C. I have two separate ventilation systems. One is for the air cooled hoods, on thermostats, and the other one is a really slow air exchange, maybe one volume of each space every 5 minutes, for fresh air. The temps are pretty good during lights on. During lights off it would take at least the same power to keep the temps, so I let them drop to 16C.

When it gets colder, I will probably shut off the air exchange fan during lights off, but if the humidity gets too high will need to run a dehumidifier. Which would also heat a little bit.

There is no super-easy way to grow in a garage in Canada, unless you got the whole thing lit up.

3 Likes

Man bot try a radiant heater there thermostat controlled and has 2 selections 300 watt or 800 and use minimal power once heated up! Under a hundred bucks worth a try

1 Like

Dog heat mat. Ya gota keep in mind in that kinda environment you’ll be able to heat the air but the ground will still be cold af. Or lift the plants up on milk crates and make sure warm air gets under

6 Likes

Best of luck to ya dude. Fighting winter is no small feat.

2 Likes

I really like the idea of running autos through winter so that’s what i’m doing this year. The shorter dark period means less additional heating and the plants spend less time in the dark with the usual high humidity issues :thumbsup:

4 Likes

:thinking: … electric blanket over the tent? might be unsafe :fire: dunno

:slight_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

Oil filled radiator heater is the safest option IMO.

6 Likes

Thanks for he suggestions - a few to consider here.

I’ll continue with the baseboard heater and let you know how it shakes out. Once I get the cab sorted I’ll fire some pics up. Have some Tangerine Power rolling… hoping for some citrus goodness!

2 Likes