Hello bonsai - a grafting log

Can you clarify the question? Are you referring to the usefulness of planting after grafting, ie I grafted a Maui scion on to an Alaskan thunder rootstock so my tropical variety can be planted in more northern climates? Or am I misreading you?

1 Like

Thank you, If I bought root stock would I plant that, like is planting root stock a typical use for it?

I’ve always associated root stock with grafting purposes which might not be the case?

1 Like

That might be more the case in the traditional greenhouse world where fruit trees are grafted to different types of roots in order to take advantage of things like frost resistance, but that’s more if a standard practice vs what the thing is or can do.

For example it is very common for commercial trees to use a different rootstock for that reason but you can also find the trees that grow multiple fruits out there. Both are grafts just for different purposes.

2 Likes

Have you found a difference in cold hardiness for tropical varieties by using a more cold hardy rootstock? Or do you grow primarily indoors?

2 Likes

The ingenuity and creativity of growers never fails to leave me insanely impressed.

What if you used a hemp plant for the log base? They’ve had many generations of building solid root foundations in brutal environments.

2 Likes

I am just growing indoors and using the advantage of keeping as many moms as I like on one plant. I may one day use it to graft male and female for -regular- seed production off a single plant, or for the ability to create multiple different seed crosses off a single plant, but until then….

The reality of transplanting to a hardier rootstock, like certain hemps and so on, is certainly a common use of grafting. I see no reason why it would not apply to those outdoor situations for us as well as it does for the trees and so on when used in that way. From what I have seen in my experience it at least is not going to hurt testing it out. :grimacing:

6 Likes

I’m in the process of building a tri pheno I might go more?

455c53e1aff7bd349d5ba25c312a429897a0f297_2_284x499
I enjoyed messing around with this kind of thing.

8 Likes

Very cool! What is it?

1 Like

Thank you, It’s bluchi with blueberry lemon shake up grafted to it.

1 Like

This is what makes me so impressed with the human brain. Thank you for sharing this, this is cool as hell.

3 Likes

Alright folks if you are following along it’s been 6 days and I’m calling it close enough. My pics are gonna be hard to show it at this small scale but at this point you should see some of that telltale pale green in the new growth areas… again like a clone taking root :wink:

So we cut the bottom tie, take a look at the thing, give it a light spritz, and cover it back up lightly, with no tie holding the bag down going forward. Another week-ish in this state and we will aim to remove the bag completely and cut the second tie next time.

3 Likes

Here we go, another week later and you should see some turning up/ more pale green / other signs of new growth… again like a clone that’s done rooting and ready to plant. We are grafted at this point :+1:

From here the rooter is going to start to dry out a bit and that is fine. I loosen the bag some more and let it stay for a couple more days before attempting to remove anything, and do so carefully and slowly of course, but label it and that’s about that :grimacing:

4 Likes

Annnd that’s a grafting scar. Pics taken 24 hours apart

It may look a bit funky but that’s a functional new branch on my mother plant, and the damaged graft can get chooped off and provide its last clones now :+1: thanks for watching yall

7 Likes

That is very interesting. Have you found any differences in compatability between different types of cannabis?

1 Like

Not exactly. A heavier feeding strain grafted to a rootstock that is used to lighter uptake could struggle in theory, but I haven’t seen any real trouble of that type. Making the graft heal correctly was the only big challenge

1 Like

Nicely done great job

3 Likes

Indeed, thanks for the documentation of the process. You make it look like something easily doable :smiley:

2 Likes