Help! Advice really needed

Hey guys; I’m pretty down today, had to pull out my 2 cuttings from my dwc , seems I’ve obviously lost my touch! Everything went from bad to worse I was so pumped to get going but not so much now :upside_down_face:.
So what I’m thinking is perhaps I should just do soil indoors. Lots less to stuff up I guess
I really hate having a brain injury it’s definitely messed with my mojo.
So I need some advice on soil indoors or any other suggestions? I bloody just got a new pH pen and ec metre too. Not a Good day to post this; I was really hoping for a much better outcome!
Thanks in advance for any help as I sure could do with it. Peace guys

7 Likes

It’s as easy as getting a bag of (certified) organic potting soil and throwing seeds in it.

Take a big pot filled with soil, place a short piece of tube (about 2/3 the diameter of the big pot) on top of it, and fill it with soil too.

Sow vetch and other cover crops / companion crops in the smaller tube as well, and throw kitchenscraps, tree leaves, grass clippings, dandelion leaves, nettles, etc in the ring around the tube.

Been doing it for about a year now, works fine, you can just keep sowing and harvesting indefinitely this way. Let a biotope establish, cut down the vetch and other beneficial cover crops when they start flowering, or just prune them and keep them alive (I do that with the basil I have going).

My pots are full of insects but there’s a nice balance going on, now and then I lose a few seedlings, but I make my own seeds so it doesn’t matter, I throw half of all my seeds back into the pot and the rest I give away.

Feel free to message me with any questions!

Peace.

There’s also people using earth boxes with amazing results.
You can keep throwing all kinds of kitchenscraps and mulch in there too.

Once you have it all set up you’re basically running it for the price of water (if you don’t have rainwater available) and the amount of electricity your lamp is using.

5 Likes

Hey! if you do Soil Indoors you can always follow Reikos Ammended Coot Mix

I find soiless easier than that tho. I do peat with vermiculite and perlite and feed Peters Peat Lite Special at 1.3 EC (you can also use Jacks, its basically the same thing) from start to finish (with some added phosphorous in flower). Its the “Bugbee” method from USU. you can find the video here.

Also, ive made some notes on both organic and inorganic growing here if it helps you at all.

10 Likes

Hey @Cranio, it’s a bummer to hear you’re having a down day. It’ll get better!

What do you think happened with the DWC setup?

You can mix up a custom soil yourself or get something already bagged and ready to go. Fox Farm Ocean Forest is a pretty good one. You’ll be swimming in good weed soon enough.

You definitely want to switch things up and go to soil yeah? Much love

7 Likes

For indoor, I mix my own soil using a combination of coco coir, peat and perlite. I nuke the shit out of it in the microwave to kill anything it picks up along the way.
Outdoors, i just use large bags of commercially available garden soil and supplement with bone meal, blood meal and tomato plant food(Alaska brand). I also used cover cropping outdoors, and the plants really seem to like it a LOT!

4 Likes

Don’t panic, sometimes it happens, but what define you as a grower is the ability to improve over and over again.

Anyone can quit, some are natural growers, other are blessed with specific advantages, after a year growing I m still learning, didn’t had a perfect grow so far but become a nice hobbie and I can enjoy some homemade buds.

About clones, I had one or two dead ones but nice ratio with clonex rooting hormone I just get tired of those 2 weeks until it grows roots so I clone here and there and occasionaly I spend some seeds.

3 Likes

@Cranio don’t be too hard on yourself. Weve all screwed up grows. It happens all the time.

Yes. soil is pretty easy, do doubt.
You could also go the octopot (or, the OG community version - octopups) route. It’s like a soil/passive hydro system which is dead simple like soil, but can produce some truly impressive plants :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Ive been running both side by side for years and hydro is more set it and forget it. Atleast of you got you ferts dieled in. What happend to you dwc grow? Maybe we can figure out together what went wrong.

Pz :v:t2:

4 Likes

Since you already have the hydro stuff, have you considered coco? It’s dead simple. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those octopots look pretty sweet… I am thinking about going with that system when I get back up and running

2 Likes

Or just step away for a couple of days or a week and reassess.

1 Like

We have all gone thru this b4 and had the wind let out of our sails… we understand…

Seriously look at octopots. Some Sunshine mix4 and tps1 and done… There is not much work other than watering… No bubblers, etc… You will like the end yields and the less work with Hybrid growing w/ octos. Soil has too many problems to deal with. I couldnt imagine going back to soil growing.

My 2 cents.
GR

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your advice and support it’s really appreciated :pray:
I was pretty down yesterday but you’re all right I’m not going to throw in the towel I’m going to have another crack.
I’m going to give everything a good cleand assemble the dwc and make sure everything is perfect for a week or two whilst I get some youngsters happening. I figure this way I can keep an eye on everything from temps to ec ph etc as well as oxygen
I think that might have been one of the main issues, the cheap junk air pump I bought was producing very little compared to the beast I used to have so I’ve just borrowed same model off a mate whilst I order one.
Thanks again guys!

4 Likes