Help watering

The 7 gal with my mix takes 2 gal with zero runoff even at transplant time.

2 Likes

4 gals for all 13 5 gallon pots

2 Likes

I am gonna now say you are giving them too much water each time. You must have a crazy amount of runoff .
Pretty much anything over 2 gal of water in my 7 gal pots gives me runoff. And I water super slow to allow it all to be sucked up.

2 Likes

As in I use 4 gallons for all of them not each. Lol. I don’t even get runn off really.

3 Likes

@DannylovesCannabis, every plant is doing different things in that root zone. You should consider the size of the plants and how developed the roots are.
By looking at your plant, it may have been stunted first by overwatering before the plant got it’s roots established. Let it dry out between watering so your roots learn how to seek out the wet spots in that pot.

4 Likes

Oh lmao. Then ya the opposite of what I just said. You are def under watering.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help man! Good advice!

2 Likes

4 gallons every other day for 13 plants in 5 gallon containers would be perfect in 5 gals if the plants were a little bigger. I would say 3.25 gals would be about perfect for the next week or 2.

You are not under watering. You are slightly over watering if anything. What are your temps? Slightly on the cooler side?

1 Like

Yes 70 degrees. It need to be hotter as well.

Get the temps 75-78, RH to 60-65% and give those 5 gals .5 gal each every 2-3 days and you will be golden. Assuming you have a quality mix that is. :sunglasses:

1 Like

i had good luck using a scale to water. Let a plant dry out fully until wilt, weigh it, then use that as your low end - water when its close to that dry weight. helped me a lot with over watering.

1 Like

yep, same here. 2 gals water always seems perfect in my 7gal soil fabric pos

2 Likes

It takes some trial and error…

I have 3 plants in 5gal pots and between them I give 2gal of water every 3-4 days. I water until a tiny bit comes out the bottom. Since I’m in organic soil I don’t want much runoff, but I like a tiny bit bcuz it tells me the soil is saturated

2 Likes

I just read a whole thing on the soil I’m using (m3 or Michigan made mix) literally days that it has a higher water retention than most soils and they made it so you don’t have to water as much :joy: problem solved.

3 Likes

Just an update!
Haven’t watered in 3 days and the plants look happier. I am going to be taking fan leaves off.

1 Like

That will teach her for being happy : )
She will drink way less when you strip her of her leafs , so adust watering even more , if you go that route : ) the plant is happier now , why not just leave her be lol

3 Likes

A lot of nodes are being blocked from the light and I need to start training for optimal spread. I have an 8x8 so that’s 5.3 ft per plant I need to cover. My 8x8 is 7 feet and my light has to have 24-36 inches of space for flower. So I need to take fan leaves so lower nodes are exposed to light and grow a bit more!

1 Like

That’s a good plan and reason for doing it : ) don’t forget to top aswell to help force the branching , just rember about the watering as you don’t want them to be in wet pots and not have the leafs to help remove it , so only half volume or less prior to defoliation
: )

1 Like

I’m in 3 gallon fabric and using Promix HP. After a long layoff, it’s taken me some time to get in the groove of watering. One thing I learned is, if you’re having trouble with overwatering, progress slower when you up-pot. In my case, I went from Solo to 3 gallon. This led to me watering less frequently, which I loved, but the downside was I was over saturating. This can inhibit the plants’ uptake of nutes. @ifish got me on the right path and I’m now to the point where I’m watering every 2 days. The folks with more experience can go from a Solo to a 7 gallon without issue, but it takes savvy, and I’m not one of those ppl yet.

Another factor to keep in mind is, as you get deeper in flower, expect to have to water more and perhaps more frequently as well. For example, nearing day 50 in flower and in a 3 gallon fabric pot, I’m using 1/2 gallon each plant and each watering, and they’re bone dry after 2 days. This is with 40-45% RH and 72-78 F.

You’ll get the hang of it brother. Just takes some trial and error :v:t2:

5 Likes