Hemp Russet Mites

Hey guys unfortunately this year has been terrible indoors with hemp russett mites! You can barely even see them til your peyitols or shoots are knawed off and your new growth or flower has a brownish color,I read one guy spent thousand on seeds and kept happening,I cleaned really well,now I use micronized sulfur,I was just wondering if yall could recommend some really good strains known for resistance?,when I do autos and it doesn’t happen as much,and have alot of seeds I made some gdp crosses,I’m not using my good seeds til i’m dialed in lol,but my main question is if I go complete dwc no dirt anywhere,just hydroton can I still get these russet mites? Cause don’t they ja e to lay there eggs in dirt?

1 Like

I’m afraid they lay their eggs in the reverse of the leaves … :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You need to clean, spray, and wipe down everything multiple times. If you cant wipe it down with physical force or completely blast it with spray you should consider getting rid of it.
I disassembled fans/lights/straight tube ducting(would chunk any flexible ducting), and cleaned or blasted everything multiple times when I got mites.
They make webbing nests to protect their eggs in tiny crevices that are very difficult to get at.
If you have soil, you should probably chunk it in the trash along with whatever you cant clean.
Do this for your entire grow area, not just a tent. And thoroughly clean/vacuum adjacent areas. Any other plants or dead foliage around, check it out and consider an IPM there too.
You can definitely get mites in any growing medium.
Other mites can live in the dirt or on your roots and can be seen when you unearth them you may notice ball like structures in your roots, i think they’re whiteish.

When you start growing again I would implement an IPM until you are sure they are gone and not waiting for the right time(temp/humidity/food) as they can hibernate for around a year or so I believe.
Intervals from 3-7 days should be sufficient, every 3 days to break the cycle for 2 weeks and every 5-7 days thereafter.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thats a great forumula for @Patriots781 and just about the same as what I used to get rid of my infestation. I used corn oil and different surfactants instead bc cheaper, also different essential oils rotating weekly.
I’d personally not say its 1 and done but maybe it is as its not exactly the same as what I used.

1 Like

Sounds like this trifecta stuff I got almost exactly,I was just a little hesitant about the tiny bit of alcohol it has on the leaves,so I can use this or micronized sulfur also? My 3x3 has 4 plants 2 weeks into flower,I’m not spraying anything in that tent,I just hope they’ll make it

Pictures here I zoomed in as far as it goes

First 2 are the mite damage I believe and the bottom ones are what it should look like

I believe the early oranging is from the russet mites?

1 Like

it’s summer it’s hot inside you’re grow room the plants show rust sports and ugly weird anomaly’s . Leaves look like shit. It’s cannabis plant they cannibalize their own leaves always. Probably overwatered and rootbound at 100 degrees all dam dai!

Get yourself a good loupe and check undersides of the leaves…