Hemp Russet Mites

Dr Bronners is castile soap i think and it’s made from oils.

Castile soap is different in that it’s traditionally made with olive oil and other vegetable-based oils. Pure castile soap is natural, nontoxic, biodegradable and made without any synthetic ingredients.

4 Likes

Nah, let him kill his plants; he’ll have to learn the hard way.

I mean it didn’t burn any holes when I tried but I only did it once.

2 Likes

The soap mix I posted can be applied every day, as heavy as you like; lights on or lights off, it doesn’t matter. It gives you the upper hand against hatchlings.

The same can’t be said with sulfur.

2 Likes

I tried a mix of a few ml of olive oil and a few drops of soap, I found that lethal for spider mites, and seemed to wipe them out completely in only a few applications, but it was not anywhere near as effective on the russet mites for me at least. Again maybe it’s down to how heavy the infestation is, I.e. much easier to keep it in check when the populations are lower than trying to sort it when there are millions of them running rampant.

There is supposed to be some products made from rosemary or thyme essential oils that are meant to be very effective, so I might see if I can get hold of some of that and just use a few drops of detergent as an emulsifier. I would definitely like to find something that I can just roll into a two weekly treatment that isn’t chemical toxic and doesn’t make the smoke taste like frying oil. Lol.
Previously I’ve always managed to win the battle with a mite infestations; but I’m definitely struggling this brand of mite for sure.

Yeah I think that’s the trick, keeping on top of the population before it gets out of control; much easier to prevent than to eradicate.

2 Likes

I have a small microscope that goes up to 120x so I scoped the undersides of some leaves and couldn’t find any bugs. I’ve been spraying for over 3 weeks so I think it’s a good sign. The view is nuts! You can see all the hairs and trichomes up close!

I’m not finding any bite marks either. I might be finally over this and just have a severe magnesium deficiency. I sprayed with an epsom salt foliar today and the plants starting greening up and acting very positive.

I did have a confirmed mite problem before because I found leaves with classic mite damage, unexplained dying leaves, plants lacking vigor, and the upturned leaf edges like was shown by OP. Hopefully I’m on the straight and narrow here soon.

2 Likes