russet mites destroyed my outdoor garden

I live in inland southern California and have been growing in my backyard for about 10 years 2 crops a year spring, and summer .got russet mites this summer did’nt know till late in flower lost almost all of it could not even make decent farmer grade hash out of what was left.So my plan is to throw every thing out soil, pots, bamboo stakes etc. and then spray my entire backyard with pyrethrum multiple times before I put plants outside next march .I was wonder if these little bastards would over winter in the other species of plants in my backyard, ornamentals ,veggies,cactus, succulents .any suggestions ?

5 Likes

Fucking little bastards. Sorry to hear man. They suck balls

1 Like

I weep for you :frowning:

mites are pure evil

Pyrethrin won’t do anything but piss off the mites.

Plenty of effective acaricides on the market. Abamaectin, Bifenazate, Spiromesifen.

They’ll come back next year. Mites love warm and dry.

Whatever you been doing ain’t working, time to try something new. If you’re concerned about pesticide residues, spray the acaricides early in the season, and switch to something else afterwards.

Organic boiz be here soon to tell you to just use soap and water and predator mites lol.

8 Likes

Agree, systemic nukes in veg, go to the naturals when flowering kicks in(soap water, then just water).

2 Likes

Yup. If you can reduce the pest pressure to nil in the early season, they’ll never get so bad that they ruin the crop entirely. Personally, just me talking, I’d spray at the beginning of flower too, but I’m not afraid of residue.

4 Likes

So you’ve had russet mites before?

Initial stage russet or broad. Didn’t care to ID or let it get worse, just killed them all with Avid.

Very few pests require extremely specialized treatment.

1 Like

Have you done much outdoor cannabis growing? I thought you were a basement grower?

Have you done much outdoor growing? I feel like this is less about what will kill russet mites and and more let’s cross-examine vernal because he dared to suggest using pesticides you can’t use in your boss’s grow.

Abamectin/bifenazate/spiromesifen kills mites dead, quickly. The systemic action kills the eggs that hatch, completely interrupting the cycle. You don’t know me at all, but those are the hard facts.

I have been growing a while, before it was legal. Outdoors included. And many plants besides Cannabis. My thumb is as green as kermit’s ass. I also have taken in a lot of clones over the years. Legal dispensary clones are famous for it.

7 Likes

Worse bugs I’ve ever got were from dispenserary clones. I avoid anything from outside sources and querintine and micro inspect before allowing into the general population. Russets and broad mites can be very difficult to kill, need to spray multiple times and really stay on top of it.
I’ve noticed great success watering with rosmaric acid waiting 30 mins and then spraying. They got the North coast a few years back and wiped out alot of gardens and have been spreading around ever sense. Clean your yard as good as you can and spray the shit out of it with what ever you decide to use. I’ve heard of people abandening grow sites because of them. Somebody gave me a clone several months ago with them and it went straight to the blow torch and then trash can.

5 Likes

I keep saying I’ll never take in outside clones, but…I keep doing it lol. I now treat anything from anyone anywhere with a mix of pesticides before I put them in. So far, successful. Just be extremely wary of dud disease (hop viroid). It’s spreading. I recently had a scare myself.

Russet and broad mites are no more difficult than spider mites, really, they’re just harder to diagnose since they aren’t as immediately noticeable. Their damage is unnoticeable in early infestation, masquerades as deficiencies/unrelated problems. Too small to see well, and don’t create the dramatic webbing like spider mites. So they often get out of control because people don’t know what they’re dealing with. It’s like bedbugs and roaches, you don’t even know they’re there until it’s a big problem.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been reading about the hop disease spreading and a type of hemp virus also. Once I get a sunset sherbert and Mac 1 clone if I can I won’t be taking on any outside refugees. Things are getting to industrialized in the cannabis industry and with that comes Monsanto like tactics of spreading bad genes, patented varieties, bugs and anything else they can to cripple the competition. I might be parenoid but ill be less so if I don’t have to worry about what hidden dangers lay on or in some new strain.

4 Likes

Problem is that clones are being spread around to a degree never before seen. It’s a good thing overall, but there are pests coming never dealt with in the Cannabis scene. A decade earlier, clones were somewhat difficult to acquire. You just had to know someone, which meant risk of exposure. Telling people you grew was a no-no, and people weren’t so cavalier about sending cuts over the forums.

Unfortunately, nothing fights viruses like trashing plants, there is no known cure. Anything else is killable. Tomatos are now bred to be virus resistant. Weed will be like that within a decade or two.

2 Likes

I with you. :joy::rofl: I have no issues fogging their asses if I need too. :rofl::joy:

1 Like

That’s terrible man, fuck those bugs. Hope you bounce back stronger and pest free, good luck!

2 Likes

As a matter of fact Vern - I have grown outdoors. What I am seeing is you hawking threads suggesting the worst of the worst to every grower that even thinks they have a bug problem, diagnosed or not. The Chemical Crusader on a mission to poison the world lmao.

Seems to me that you really have no clue if you had broad mites, russet mites, or anything else. You just like to jump in suggest whatever is the most ‘nasty’ chemical you can find and throw digs at the organic growers. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

that is it… once you have them you need to stay on top of it

or you will just piss them off

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

3 Likes

Just fought these little evil bugs,
This is how we’ve kept them in check, I won’t say beat them yet,
Start by spraying plants down with wettable sulfur, do this for a week straight,
Rinse plants off, spray with Dr zymes for a week
Then release A. Andersoni predators… Continue to monitor for damage ( we released 25k in a 500 sqft canopy)
I was losing 1/3 of my grow to them until we did this, now I’m not losing any…

Best to use an atomizer or an elctro static sprayer…

4 Likes

Since you trashed everything get some floromite and forbid. Drop fucking nukes and be done with it. Pyrethrin will just get them high.

3 Likes