EarthBox vs. RainScience Bag

DIY Octogrid

35 days of veg, first day of flip.

11 Likes

How many plants do you think can squeeze in an original? 3 small/medium plants? Im a small grower. (That’s what she said)

2 Likes

I would only do 2. You will most likely get more from them, than 3 in small pots. 7 gallons of soil for 2 plants should carry them through if kept smaller and amended right.

5 Likes

Is this an organics only thing or you ever think of running coco/perlite in a hempy bucket against these?

3 Likes

It is not necessarily a organic thing, although I am trying to keep the playing field as level as possible.

This is more of a learning other ways and trying to share knowledge with others. If a way of growing using something different can help a new or established grower, be better, than this is a successful thread.

So I will definitely put it on the list of things to try. Feel free to add about them here. It is about learning and helping others.

5 Likes

After looking into it a bit more hempy buckets, some run organics too. Here is a thread. I watched the video portion linked, and the recommendation was to use coco instead of peat other than that no difference.

In the vid they actually discuss how long between watering…not sure it is safe to go a week without watering as they say with coco in the media.

2 Likes

I’ve ran Hempys a bunch before and I had to water daily… I never tired it Organic though, always used MegaCrop…

the max days away from watering was 3 because I used Vermiculite mixed into it. With hempys you want to water as much as possible because that’s how the air reaches the roots. More air = more roots = more budz.

3 Likes

Well damn… Missed the free shipping sale on earthbox.com they were having…

1 Like

@bassman5420 I ordered mine when they had free shipping for Black Friday Sale.

If you have Amazon prime with all they give you ordering there, it is about a $5 difference after shipping with Earthbox.

I have the original with and without casters. The casters are nice to have, but I am cheap and have an able bodied grandson…lol

4 Likes

I’m there with ya, I try to do most things as cheap as possible. There are enough items given away and thrown away that casters could be taken from and thrown on the earthboxes.

2 Likes

Here was the Hawaiian Haze 30 days ago when I started this.

Here it is tonight. I have done no training, topping, lst or any thing else to the plant. This is all on it’s own.

20 Likes

The Earthbox Hawaiian Haze is trying to take over the tent.

The Rainscience bag is still struggling.

At this point it is not even a competition.

16 Likes

Awesome results :wink:

3 Likes

If there was a mercy rule it would be used at this point.

It has been 37 days since the competition started.

There has been no training on either plant.

Earthbox Hawaiian Haze

Rainscience bag Hawaiian Haze

11 Likes

Good comparison. Thank for taking time to point out the difference in the methods. I’m a rain science user and often look for better ways to water my ladies. The earth appears to be a great options.
I don’t think the difference is in the pot.
The biggest difference is the availability of feed. The jr has a constant availability of feed… reservoir.
Whereas the rain science pot is designed to increase oxygen to the plant so it is always going to be dryer.
Therefore the plant in the rain science pot needs its feed/ water to be supplied more frequently. Depending on the medium, that frequency can be several times a day.
So the results are up to the grower, and not the pot.

11 Likes

I agree that it can also be grower related to success, regardless of your container or medium.

I had watered and fed the box and the bag both the same amount for the first 4 weeks. Neither plant got anything extra.

I have grown some nice plants in the bags. Still using them.

One of the big differences I see is time. For 37 days in the box, the growth rate is a big difference.

The goal of this is to help others see other ways to grow, without spending their time and money. Help new growers be more successful. If you have limited space and time, and / or a plant count, this could be a big difference maker for someone in growing their own.

I like my bags and will keep using them. However, I will add a few more boxes to my set up after seeing the results.

Thanks @Blu-Tri for sharing the pictures. They are nice plants. I am not a big felt bag fan either. I have used them too.

I am not sure if an auto would get the full benefits of the Earthbox, but will be a fun experiment.

12 Likes

Yes bro your grow looks lovely.
Autos do great in the earthbox. Plenty of guys use them and get monsters.
I been using the rain science bags since ‘18 so I know how much of a task it can be to hand water them. And they ain’t cheap. The gnats will burrow into the sides of them. Omg.
I promise the earthbox appears to be a sensible options.
Especially for those who haven’t perfected their watering method.
I see most people prefer organic when they used them. It would be interesting to see how they work with coco. @Old-Ron

4 Likes

Thanks. Blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally…lol
I had been fortunate with avoiding the gnats. They were around this time for a while, then it seems nature took care of them. The Earthbox has lots of beneficials in it. May have had a little help from the Dr. Zymes IPM treatments too. :grin:

I guess I will need to try an auto in a box. Just seems to me the plants explode when the roots finally get to the reservoir. That takes 2 to 4 weeks depending. That was why I was wondering if autos get the full potential.

I have never grown in coco, so I am not sure. Would be interesting to see. :thinking:

4 Likes

Excellent results :clap: :ok_hand: :+1: :muscle:

This thread is what inspired me to build my DIY Mini Earthbox ,)

5 Likes

Thanks @CADMAN. I am hoping it helps others in anyway possible. If it helps anyone, the grow is successful already.

3 Likes