History of Overgrow.com

Thanks, once done it’s a left turn at Albuquerque to cannabisword . Some interesting history going on, I have been really loving the site. Nice to see some of how it came to be.

2 Likes

Tried looking up cannabisworld and it’s history but kept getting alot of other shit

1 Like

I really enjoyed that…very well appreciated

I remember a fella known as Shiva who used to post on the old alt.drugs.pot.cultivation (ADPC) Usenet news group in the early-mid 90s about making ice hash with ice water, trim and a wooden spoon in a flower vase.

He’d fill the vase with ice, bud and water, stir vigorously with the spoon, and let the trichomes fall to the bottom of the vase. Pour off the ice water, and filter out the hash into a coffee filter. I didn’t believe it (thought trichomes would dissolve in water) until I tried it and made my first trim hash.

That was about '94-95. Most of the Dutch hash I came across in the 'Dam up to that time was either imported (Nepali charas fingers at the Melkweg!), or made via sifting through a rotating drum. I didn’t hear about Bubble Bags for several more years after that. Pretty sure ice hash was something that was floating around the cannabis world long before that, just in a pre-Internet way - passed on from head to head.

peace -b420

15 Likes

That was the same way I made it, lol until I bought the Bubblebag set. Then I stopped doing it with the ice and went to the dry ice method about 8-9 years ago.

edit…Well, that way and also the very ‘old school’ method of using silk screen and shaking the broken up bud over a large mirror… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Lol i recall two of those names …ole pink and mia stoner …ole pink was sorta nice at first but then he tried to control what i said…turned out to be a douchebag…mia was a waste of skin lol

The Penguin was actually a cool dewd…

Never really talked to gypsy but recall him being a little bitch

The folks who were respectful and stayed out of the drama were fun to swap ideas and discuss methods…not to sound an arrogant twat but 99% of the growers were clueless back then and seemed to be more concerned with pushing seed companies then actually pushing the limits of our craft

Kinda curious to see what folks are up to …anyone ever beat my record of 33.5 lbs with 10,000 watts??

snicker

krusty

10 Likes

Hey so this stuff is completely false as the overgrow ~s had nothing to do with SR. That was all PoM. I like how the link describes them signing up at similar times as evidence for shabangs involvement, and not the obvious case of PoM impersonating him and using his identity

Edit: okay so I see that was resolved in posts above but yeah, unfortunate thats one of the first few posts in a history thread. Anything involving PoM, it is safe to say it was all him

1 Like

Shabang recently got sentenced for his involvement in pen testing SR and deleting files for POM after his arrest

1 Like

Yep, sentenced last year, should already be out since he got eight months, though it looks like he was only convicted of false statements to investigators, not the charges related to his tech work on SR.

3 Likes

Think they put a money laundering charge on him as well due to receiving some BTC in payment , not 100% that stuck though

3 Likes

You know the taxman always gets his cut or they’ll take you out like Capone

2 Likes

Yeah thats not the overgrow shabang. OG shabang wasnt from bumfuck ohio, or would ever want to step foot there. They just used his name for credentials

1 Like

I’ve just linked to what was available at the moment. I definitely didn’t want to accuse anyone. That’s why it also included my disclaimer that I can’t confirm anything stated in the article, and it’s just allegations and conspiracies.

Thanks for pointing to that news, @Dirt_Wizard and @redjimp. That seems to confirm at least part of the story.

@docz, it seems highly unlikely that there are two shabangs both using the name in exactly the same way (including shortened name and tilde “~s~”).

4 Likes

I think you are mistaken . During the thread on icmag when Pom met Ross , Pom sent a PGP around to interested parties saying that they should get practice modding on unrelated forums while shabang returned from his break and could look at some stuff that Ross didn’t know how to do . This was about 3 years before SR was an actual thing and while Pom was known for being a liar it doesn’t make sense that he was lying all the way back then .

1 Like

This is easily solved without this runaround speculation.

1. Do you really think ~s~ is stupid enough to sign that name to SR? Or any other project close to it? Its insulting.

2. Nebu has met ~s in the OG 1.0 days and can tell you 100% they are NOT the same person. Mr. Soul can do the same, and probably most (still alive) members of the old crew. Literally ask anyone in the 77 lol. ABhybrid (hybritech) is a known person who would call anyone out on their shit and they can confirm too.

3. Again, he would never live in the midwest

4. PoM obviously showed interest in working with DPR. PoM had no skills to offer and presented his tech buddy as ~s to give him credentials. Overgrow ~s didnt know squat about Tor

1 Like

3 Likes

After thinking on what your saying , there could be some truth to it . Pom did operate like that , making you think you needed him then stealing your stuff . It would explain a lot if pom had a Manchurian candidate there right at the start , including dpr’s initial defence that he was only the admin after being usurped by unnamed parties .

My friend @Nebu is back on overgrow and I’m sure will chime in @docz, I am not sure about the shabang side either. It wouldn’t make sense that he went to prison. As he has been active online in that interm. So it’s possible they gave charges but I wouldn’t assume anymore came of it.
And as we all know POM was a major proponent in making all things go sideways.
The history goes much deeper. And most of the industry wouldn’t be able to handle what Ive read from what I can find of the server out there in online land. Lol

4 Likes

Woooww!!

It takes me more than an hour to read and translate every comment on this thread.

I try to put myself in context of the years, here are the real GOs

I am 27 years old, I think that in a few years my generation will return to the forums, I hope so.

Here is the true essence, little by little I am entering this world and history, I would have loved to have discovered this a few years ago, anyway that does not matter, the time is today.

Thanks to each of the people who contributed to OverGrow being what it is, I feel a very great respect for each of you.

10 Likes

List of mods before shit hit the fan. Thank you to breeding cannabis r for sharing :pray:

10 Likes