History of Overgrow.com

I was in here around 02. When things got sketchy in about 06 I ducked out. Nice to see the place still kicking. I was a bubblehead :blush:

6 Likes

Yo @Toadspit !! Welcome to Overgrow 2.0!!

We have a large complement of Old School OGrs.
Check us you brother, we have amazing shit happening all over. …and there is a very mellow vibe as well.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Any interesting tales from back in the day?

As far as the site goes, I use to like going through all the stuff people swore did not work. I would pick out a neut recipe here, a light that won’t grow there and various other things. Granted there are TONS of things out there that just don’t work. People would be working on a budget and in gorilla mode for the most part and people were telling them left and right : your plants will never flower, that space is too small for those plants, that wattage won’t produce anything worth sharing, and the list goes on. Anyway I’d take a light that “wouldn’t work” in a room that was “too small” and using other methods that people swore wouldn’t work. Keeping in mind that the environment wasn’t “ideal” but none the less it still produced a respectable amount of product. Never really shared my serious garden much though

7 Likes

Had to be late 2000 or early 2001 for me…I quit growing in 03 so I missed all the drama but LEO was real in the Wild Wild West.

4 Likes

I have pictures somewhere of some fat Jackie-O nugs sitting inside the OG server I built “Powered by Jackie-O” . After the RCMP bust I encrypted that whole drive and can’t remember the password. lol!

14 Likes

Vulcan mind probe!! :vulcan_salute: :laughing:

You will made a lot of people very happy if you crack that encryption!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Haha there’s the legend! Glad to see you on here brother @Nebu , I can only dream of the memories you must have of things. And maybe like @Gpaw Vulcan mind tricks may work who knows but I’m all for rooting you on to try and crack them open.

5 Likes

Haha! :nerd_face: Welcome back, Nebu! Nice to have you here!

LOL. That reminds me the guy looking for his HDD full of bitcoins in a waste dump…

9 Likes

Really? Had never heard about that with bubbelman. Sources? Not skeptical or arguing just would like to read up on it/learn more about.only know of him from hashchurch and references occasionally on here(and obviously the bubble bag line ).

edit just noticed you only joined and posted on this thread specifically and haven’t been active since, so not sure if I’ll get a response.

4 Likes

I just read something to that nature in Jorge Cervantes’s book, in the chapter on ice water hash. It sounded more like, you know, industry. Two people can have the same idea. She did it first, he refined it but adding more screens.

I don’t know though, just my take from the bit I read.

3 Likes

Makes sense, I mean it could be either of the 2, I was more of curious as to where they were getting that conclusion from, I mean I know people can be shady and just because someone seems genuinely nice and legit on camera but can be complete garbage as an actual person behind the scenes. Not saying I think he is cuz he seems chill but ya know what I mean. Plus it seemed really odd/convient that that was only post from the person who said it(literally was only here and active long enough to post the comments and doesn’t seem to have been back online since)

3 Likes

Yep, and he totally admits it. He has even paid royalties and settled in court over the bags. He never claimed to invent them, he simply made them popular.

9 Likes

Ah ok. Like I said wasn’t leaning either way on it just wasn’t sure. Thanks for the explanation, the op that I had commented on didn’t really explain just pretty much seemed more out of spite/defensive. But I have no qualms over that, especially since like you put it, never claimed he invented them just that he made them popular huge difference between that and outright theft of idea etc.
Hopefully that made sense, wasn’t trying to stir the pot or anything just wondered that the story was/if there was basis and was to lazy to search online.

1 Like

its a thing where people capitalize off of other people. Always interesting to see and analyze for sure. But overgrow was about the spreading of new ideas. And the reason we have a lot of the industry we do today!

1 Like

I’m definitely grateful for those who paved the way for all of us. Back during days of overgrow 1.0 I was still in high-school and didn’t know anything about growing. Wish I’d found it or tried more back then, woulda saved alot of money and headaches lol.

6 Likes

Like me. But in those days I just leaned towards lurking in ICmag…

2 Likes

I remember ripping my hard drive out and tossing it because I was so sketched out when the site went down.

Wasn’t a very active member just a kid in my teens lurking and researching.

Does anybody else miss the way the Internet used to be be back in the day? This forum has that old school internet vibe.

I believe I got suspended from school for two weeks in 2006 for being caught on overgrow in the school computer room.

It’s crazy how fast attitudes can change in less than two decades.

9 Likes

Personally I love the first add by LemonaideJoe showing the old Netscape Navigator browser. I got to go back and read the whole story. Man, I found another rabbit hole.

4 Likes

@DougDawson after you soak up all that…look at the cannabisworld folks story…cool folks tho…the inner circle ran deep…

3 Likes