HLVD virus rampant in CA farms

@Mrgreenthumb when you started this thread lit a match and walked away
:rofl: :fire: :bomb: You should have at least promoted your upcoming
Mrgreenthumbs Outdoor Fat Bastard-ISS Grow. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

1-s2.0-S004268220191044X-main.pdf (266.3 KB)

We have previously shown that the cultivation of HLVd infected hop at temperatures above the standard cultivation temperature of 25 to 36°C for 5 days (the heat treatment cycle) allows plants to survive without significant morphological damage and, at the same time, the
level of viroid is decreased dramatically (Matousˇek et al.,
1995). After the subsequent application of four such heat treatment cycles, the content of viroid decreases gradually from approximately 33 to 2 pg/mg of fresh leaf tissue
and some plants appear viroid-free. However, as a rule,
the viroid level eventually recovers to the original level
after 6 months or longer of no further treatment.
We
proposed that a nucleolytic complex is activated by the
thermal stress and leads to viroid degradation (Matousˇek et al., 1995). To check whether the long posttreatment recovery of viroid level is due to sequence changes
in the surviving molecules, we analysed the sequence
variation of HLVd after the heat treatment and during
subsequent recovery of HLVd levels.

Do you have a link to the 10 day one? This says after 5 days of heat treatment the virus mutates and will recover whenever heat treatment is over.

11 Likes

Thanks for the good info and citations Holy, I appreciate it.

2 Likes

it started in the '50s on hops so i would not call it sudden by any means. it suddenly became widely known, but has been around for quite a while. not that the rest of it isn’t true or have any merit, just not this part. i wouldn’t doubt one bit the feds sending in some operators to plant this, probably outsourced it too.

2 Likes

here

2 Likes

All the jibber jabber, mods don’t care…
All the bickering…

Nobody even paid attention to my man @tamimes
He gave ya’ll some real world advice , not some google result.
Nobody even paid attention.

This is a good tip, no one paid attention to either…

Take that for what its worth.

7 Likes

Hops latent viroid was apparently first detected in the 80’s in Spain and then Germany and the UK before spreading globally but close enough ^^
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/hop-latent-viroid
Need to see if i can find this book in a pdf or something :thinking: Viroids and Satellites (2017)
they want $100+ for it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Does anyone have any idea if Ozone water could be used to sterilize tools and surfaces for HLVD?

1 Like

10-1 water to bleach will kill a lot of bad things. I’m pretty sure you can sterilize tools with it. Ozone water not sure. Sterilize isn’t the proper word. Sanitize.

1 Like

@HolyAngel
I may be able to help, dunno?
Do you have a doi for that book?

Imho MENNO-Florades would be the best disinfectant for the purpose. That and just regular hygiene.

Edit: This is a 90g/l Benzoic Acid solution so it may be possible to directly make up a solution of the same % by using benzoic acid directly, it’s a lot cheaper.

3 Likes

i thought she said in that video it was '50s. oh well, like you said, not new either way.

1 Like

i would say nope.

1 Like

Some of us are paying attention to the actual tech… hell I asked for it. :wink:

Some of us have actually taken steps to prevent. Until the science is clear your gonna have opposing view… we’ll have to wait for the science to be proven and accepted. But we could do without the insults.

Keep the tech coming…

7 Likes

Non fat dried milk at 200 g/L is also an effective organic and non toxic disinfectant.

2 Likes

okay - here ya go…

https://file.io/SU0oMDt6szro

3 Likes

oh :heart_eyes: you are awesome!

1 Like

Shows deleted for me.

2 Likes

If this is in 90% of California farms the cannabis game has changed. It is everywhere. Seeds and cuttings have been flying out of California to the world for several years now. Protect your seeds if you can. But it looks like from this point forward weed HAS HLVD is a given and finding and protecting those without it is the new challenge. I really think this has gone too far to reverse. It’s just protection and adaption from here on out. This is NOT good news for cannabis world wide. It’s going to be an uphill battle. And I’m thinking adaption and moving on with it may unfortunately be the only real answer. I’m not sure there’s a solution. If you’re growing for distribution and or seeds protection and NOT passing on the virus is the new priority.

The days of ‘certified HLVD Free’ are just around the corner.

9 Likes

A youtube video is not a study. Link me to a study, not an hour long video on one of the worst sites on the internet for disinformation without even a timestamp for reference.

I could find a video on youtube that says that most politicians are hybrid lizard people that sacrifice children in the basement of a pizza place while drinking chemicals that turn frogs gay. That doesn’t mean that commentary has any basis in fact.

In fact, you or anyone else could make a video claiming that doing twirling jumping jacks in a gimp suit while having your whole body covered in duck fat next to your plants will generate enough heat to kill all plant pathogens in the zip code and youtube would put it up without a second thought.

Is it talking about tools or disinfecting grow media and seeds? Because people here haven’t been great at making that distinction before trying to argue what they think I’m saying. :rofl:

2 Likes