HLVd and other viruses goodies

Here is a girl that definitely appears dudded. She is about 20 years old.

Before I go get her tested at the clinic does anyone want to make a guess that she will test reactive for HLVd or some other virus?

15 Likes

I just hope she didn’t give it to her girlfriends & these clones I got aren’t time-bombs. :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I am not even sure how it spreads. My mother said it is kissing before marriage. LOL

Seriously though, I only took cuts of it one time as a backup (pictured) but you are right that shared scissors/razor MAY pass nasties through the neighborhood.

I have tried to nodal TC her a few times and she’s not playing nice. She clearly needs meristem work.

14 Likes

My Dad said it was from kissing the garbageman or peeing in the street.

My guess is positive for virus.

3 Likes

Sent pics to a local lab. Their plant pathologist says it appears to be a virus so we will see. $50 for a full viroid panel seems like a good deal.

12 Likes

This is the main way it spreads.
Make sure the tools you use for making cuttings for clones are sharp and clean. Clean cutting tools with alcohol after each and every cut to ensure that no possible contaminates are left behind or given to other cuttings.

HpLVd is a viroid belonging to the Cocadviroid genus. Other viroids in this genus are easily transmitted through pollen and seed, but more research/testing is required to know for sure if HpLVd can also be transmitted through pollen and/or seed.

HpLVd was first discovered in 1988 as a humulus (hop) pathogen. First thought to be a minor pathogen, research now shows that it can have a significant impact on crop yields in hops and cannabis.

Same as with other known cannabis affecting viruses, quarantine infected, or possibly infected, plants away from other plants just to be safe. HpLVd research is ongoing and of great importance to the cannabis industry and it’s something I’ve been interested in for a few years now… since it was originally called (PCIA) aka Putative Cannabis Infectious Agent.
I’ve read that more than 30% of lab observed plants have tested positive for HpLVd since 2015.

I became interested in this research back in 2017 when a cross I made exhibited many of the “dudding” traits in more than half of the plants I grew from those seeds… low vigor/stunted growth, low trichome production, low potency, much lower yield and morphed leaves. The rest of the plants from that cross were normal looking plants with no visible HpLVd traits.
I had never experienced anything like this before then, nor since, with plants I’ve grown or crosses I’ve made. I’ve only seen it in that one cross and both parents appeared perfectly healthy to me.

I have seen some HpLVd traits in plants that friends/acquaintances have grown over the last few years, but not too many to date. It still seems to be fairly rare virus that is attracted mainly to hops and cannabis.

15 Likes

Pow! What do I win?! (note paid blackwater sample sent in as a control)

7 Likes

You dirty girl keepin perv :joy:

…& now you gotta tell all the other homies! :laughing: :unamused: :dancer: :derelict_house: :rotating_light:

I’ve got variegation on several plants now…:thinking: :biohazard:

Do I have to sterilize everything I own or what? :confused:

2 Likes

Post pictures please.

2 Likes

Cherry Vanilla Skunk clone

I’ll keep inspecting but the other plants seem clean; I removed a lot of branches recently so it’s possible they did have a sample for you but it’s out in the compost for weeks. :blush:

That’s just the 'vanilla part, right? :sweat_smile: :icecream:

3 Likes

Where did u go for testing?

I have an account with Dark Heart

2 Likes

Ok I have messaged them but their not taking in shipment Appreciate you

Shoot me a dm

1 Like

Any known insect vectors? Aphids, thrips, white flies?

No real evidence for insect transmission. It really spreads through contaminated clones and then after by contact/blades/hands/shears.

3 Likes

Some research says aphids are a vector.

American hop latent virus, hop latent virus, and hop mosaic virus are transmitted primarily by the damson-hop aphid.

8 Likes

HpMV and HpLV have also been shown to be carried by the potato peach aphid and green peach aphid.

If it feeds on the plant then would think it could be a vector. Including mites on Hemp

3 Likes

Good things to know and look out for! I have a bit of a collection going and this type of info is invaluable. I better keep better sanitation practices.

5 Likes

Unless you grow outdoor in the PNW there there’s lots of hops and lots of Cannabis, your main worry is contaminated cuttings and manual spreading thereof. I’m sure it’s possible just less likely on our end, assuming most of us aren’t OD in specific parts of the country.

I guess my point is don’t worry so much about the bugs, worry about clones.

If it really is easily seed-transmissible we’re all screwed. Regular lab certification for all cuts and seeds will end up all but mandatory. I’m constantly looking for signs of it but the insidious thing about it is the latent and asymptomatic aspects.

Since this has been a “known issue” since at least 2008 as far as I can tell, since it is probably seed-transferrable, and snippets of people talking about a syndrome that may be hplvd or a similar virus (or possible other root/stem infection) before that even, it is possible that a majority of people are infected with it and don’t even know it.

I have seen respected and talented people (capulator for example) saying they’ve gotten it from seed plants. Currently, I have no outside cuts in the garden and I still mad-dog every plant looking for any signs. The problem is it’s so hard to discern, especially with lankier cuttings and narrowleafs that sorta grow like dud plants to begin with.

9 Likes