Hollow Stems?

You totally missed the point. Doing certain things to a plant can trigger reactions. Some good, some bad. It’s not as simple as “give it less and expect more.” It’s a matter of introducing certain things to promote a specific reaction. Things that would not happen to the plant normally. Anyway I am off to eat dinner.

1 Like

I admire your persistence and Fortitude Sir you remind me of the PM Fairy Joe.Good show old chap good show.I give you a high five with a V device.

4 Likes

Oh and I just have to leave this here, lol.

Custom_Image_13042022130930

8 Likes

The dude in the backs like oh my God this shits laced!!!Some one we need help!

2 Likes

Ok if we are fuckin’ round now, here is mine…LOL
Some folks you just can’t reach. :rofl:
Come on click it…

1 Like

Sorry, I guess I may have missed the point.
I am still not sure but you seem to be referring to stress here.
If that is the case, I do agree stress can be used to manipulate the plant, AKA elicit an immune response in hopes of increasing cannabinoid production.

Although I do not feel calcium stress is the way to achieve that goal, I do thinks stress has great benefits.
Also if stressed plants are lacking in calcium, that can cause more undesired issues.
Proper calcium levels are very important if you plant to stress your plants even by just trimming leaves off of it.

Here is a bit more of the how and why if you are interested.

4 Likes

I would not recommend it either but I was really just trying to open your mind to other possibilities. As I said, I didn’t say you were right or wrong. Just that there are possibilities for other factors to influence this particular event. To just give a blanket statement of hollow stems are calcium deficiency and can not be caused by anything else just goes to far in my mind. You saying that any other possible influences are remote and highly unlikely is just to closed minded to me. There could very well be a number of things or combinations of things that create this phenomenon. Could also have genetic reasons. That’s really all I am trying to get across here.

Oh and thanks for the link. I have read that thread in in’s entirety before, there some great info in there.

1 Like

A blanket statement may be the wrong term.
That is not really what I said at all, and I never really even called it a deficiency it is a bit more complicated than that.
I have tried this on over 20 different cultivars, and fixed everyone.
Pretty dam conclusive to me.
So to think it is something else is a bit illogical if you feel that is closed minded then go ahead but with overwhelming evidence in my favor may I politely suggest it may be you that is being closed-minded on this issue?

Sure it could be a mutant, I doubt it, and if I can fix it with calcium that would rule that out.
I offered to try to put my money where my mouth is but that offer was not accepted.
Dude probably thought I was just romancing his cut…LOL

2 Likes

Not at all. As I said repeatedly, I am not saying you are right or wrong. I am totally open to all the possibilities where as you have formed your conclusion and are not open to any other possibilities. That’s totally fine with me. You are free to believe whatever you like. You may even be right but I am not convinced that there is only one possible thing that could contribute to this issue.

2 Likes

It’s a fact. A logical logical fact.

Fact.

#truth

3 Likes

This statement is not true at all.
Here is proof of that…

I did not say impossible, so this shows I am open to the idea at the very least.

Here I am saying it could be something else, if it can not be fixed with CA

Again this shows I am open to logical suggestions, things that make sense.
I am even offering to prove myself wrong here.

So you see my mind is very open to the possibility it could be something else.
It just makes more sense to follow the science and logic rather than reaching for the highly unlikely.
Especially knowing it can usually always be fixed with calcium.
Note:
I said usually, showing that sometimes it may be some weird freak occurrence which I find highly unlikely.
It could be possible and if calcium will not fix the issue I said I would rethink my statement.

But I have not found one plant or even heard of one as of yet that could not be fixed this way.

2 Likes

I do buy into the calcium argument involving hollow stems. I also used to get them alot, I now use alot more calcium amendments in my soil mix and top dress dur8ng the run. This last harvest I found 1 plant that had a hollow stem. I will be watching that one closely when I pop more of those seeds and see if it happens again (Genetics?) or if I can solve it with more calcium. Boron, laugh or not lol, i believe does have some play in there as well. I buy into what slownickle speaks…even if he also now sells products…the science seems logical to me. And the reviews of growers using his ideas (and some using his products) seems to back it up.

I dont care to argue about it, we all have beliefs in different things. I don’t look at others differently if they have a difference of opinion to my own…as long as we’re all pumping out quality that we are happy with, that’s what matters most. :green_heart::v:

5 Likes

Just not the way some of your posts come across. Perhaps it’s the way you word things. Anyway I am moving on, you have a good night man.

2 Likes

That’s a freaking awesome idea! How have I not seen this before! :joy:

2 Likes

It’s got style and grace

2 Likes

I am no college professor so forgive me if my delivery is imperfect.
To me the quote above has to do with the way you interpret what I said.
I am saying one thing and you interpret it your way.
I thought I was pretty clear, but maybe not.

Perhaps it is, I do my best to post both the science and layman’s terms.
Sorry if I am missing the mark, I do try my best to be as clear as possible.

Here is something from the owner of https://customhydronutrients.com
Maybe he has chosen better words than I did, in any event, these folks are saying the exact same thing I did.
From 2016

Is cannabis not a " Herbaceous, Dicotyledonous Plant"?..and the brocolli papers i posted are more to show that boron deficiency is not really the main causal factor

Pith is the plants storage organ for photosynthates, when you see hollow stems, the pith has been [autolysed ]

(autolysis defined - Hledat Googlem)because the plants growth rate has exceeded its own capability to fix carbon needed to build new tissue, from the atmosphere .

In other words there is an imbalance between the photosynthate source tissue (fully expanded fan leaves) and the photosynthate sink tissue (apical growth and/or flowers). Or some other factor limiting carbon dioxide assimilation.

The fact that a plant can translocate the photosynthates from the pith to other more important sink tissue can be considered a desirable trait in a plant.

However, imho, the fact that a plant has to resort to this is not a desirable trait in a grow.

This is a quote from jidoka
He is a well known cannabis consulting company on IG.
the dumb is strong in this thread. Hollow stems occur when n and k drive growth faster than ca/si/b and p can keep up. Read a fucking book and stop listening to retarded bro science

Focus on the health of the plant. Everything else follows period

From slownickle:
Another well known consultant.
Calcium is the King of the elements. If not at full power, all kinds of problems happen.

if Calcium was high, one could really push potassium heavy and max out production.

If I start with low Ca and I push K, I could never push it to where I could really max out the production of plant mass.

However, when you want to flower, you push K down heavily with Ca, so that all the new roots that need to pop below will get what they need and not be short of Ca at this magic moment in time.

Hard to contemplate a soil that is not deficient in Ca.

We have seen up to 6 ppm of B the soil using M3 and in a soil testing at 4500 ppm of Ca using AA@8.2 and they were the best plants…

And I can assure you that when you see 3000 ppm+ of Ca using AA@8.2 and the distributions are correct, the result is spectacular in both yields and quality.

Post grow soil test has me at 3200ppm ca

I can tell you right now and most everyone on this forum, or most any agriculturalist world wide, eyes closed, you don’t have enough Ca. And when you see a Ca deficiency, you already lost the game. The best you can try for now is to save yourself from disaster.

Boron, one of those unknowns. If you look at the literature and the superficial evidence we have in hand, this plant is one of those that his a boron lover! We have seen boron levels in the soil coming back what would kill many other crops.

So far, EVERYONE that has bothered to send in a sample, needed Calcium. And so far, this is the same thing we see in non cannabis crops world wide.

Maybe there is a place or a farm that doesn’t need one form of Calcium or another, but so far, haven’t found it yet.

6 Likes

Quick summary:

3000 ppm calcium and 6 ppm Boron, now those are just fuckin’ crazy numbers I know.
But
These numbers come from experts using tissue and soil samples along with proper lab testing.
This test was submitted by jidoka

4 Likes

I hit 3100 ppm Ca and 3 ppm B on my last soil test. Getting there. :grin:

7 Likes

Interesting. Cool video that has sent me down a rabbit hole of other videos. Thanks.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed there are different types of “full stem”…they aren’t hollow,but it’s kind of “spongy” and they just sort of crumble as they dry after harvesting,same as hollow stem plants do…while others turn into legit “wood”

i know,not really relevant but :man_shrugging: