Holy's Garden (Part 1)

Think this is a good approach. Scorched earth keeping only what’s absolutely necessary and thoroughly cleaning all grow areas as well. Less plant material left over to treat and inspect the better.

Sucks you are running into problems but unexpected problems are a huge part of gardening and happen to everyone at some point if they’ve been doing it long enough. Respect your approach as well as openness in documenting the struggles.

14 Likes

Insurance company name cropped out:

Somehow I don’t think we qualify though :joy:

13 Likes

Probably too high of rates anyway. Some tobacco farmers here will plant the crop too late for it to be harvested and file insurance claims and collect for a failed crop, so somebody is paying for the stunt that I think should be illegal

5 Likes

Fuck a bunch of mites! I’ve had both red and two-spotted. I got RID of both with this.

Two-spotted are a lot tougher than the reds. Both have the same life cycle, though. Neems don’t kill the eggs, and they hatch every 3-5 days. Waiting a week between sprays will only prolong things… been there done that.

I didn’t have a fogger when I had the 2-spotted, but I did for the reds. They were all gone in 10 days. The fogger gets into every nook and cranny, like butter on an English muffin, lol!

Good luck, man, when it rains, it pours, huh? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hotshot Pest Strips kill them dead, dead, dead. But most folks here won’t use that

2 Likes

Hmm wonder if that neem oil extract is basically the same as azamax that I’m already using :thinking: azadirachtin is from neem seed oil.

@avr1 yeah my father in law was using those and they work but I don’t want them near my flowers. Maybe once the TKs come down and get bagged though. Would definitely ensure the room is clean before starting again :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No, they don’t. And there’s reasons why folks here won’t use them.

***NO PEST STRIPS

DDVP/Dichlorvos/No Pest Strips are no good for cannabis cultivation. Dichlorvos is a volatile cholinesterase inhibiting organophosphate.
So volatile it is primarily used as a fumigant. It is a proven carcinogen. A 2010 study found that each 10-fold increase in urinary concentration of organophosphate metabolites was associated with a 55% to 72% increase in the odds of ADHD in children. It conclusively binds to DNA although it’s mutagenic properties are still being debated.
The FDA has been restricting it’s usage more and more every year as new information has come out. According to the MSDS and most labels- It is NEVER to be stored around children, food, seed, or fertilizer.

It was Restricted in the European Union after 2002.

From the NO PEST STRIPS Label- Always read the Label- especially when applying to your medicine. - bottom of page is a link-

NOT FOR USE IN OCCUPIED HOMES-
Do not be in the presence of strips in unoccupied areas for more than 4 hours -in garage, shed, attic, or other normally unoccupied area. (not including food areas)
Only use pest strips is the area will be unoccupied for 4 months.
Do not use in the food/feed processing or food/feed manufacturing or food/feed service establishments (you can’t legally hang this in a restaurant!)

A little article on dichlorvous- http://www.wired.com/2014/01/cdc-war...e-pest-strips/

As you say- The poison is in the dose, and dichlovous doesn’t take much to become poison.You couldn’t be more spot on with that statement. But obviously some things are far more toxic than others, and considering you aren’t allowed to be in the same room as this pesticide, handle it without gloves, breathe near it without a respirator, nor are you supposed to use it near anything that is considered food or will grow to become food I would never, ever consider putting a no pest strip anywhere near your plants. It volatilizes off the strip, into the air, and onto the plant, which you then either oxidize or consume. The combustion and inhalation of organophosphates aren’t even studied, as they included on the label not to smoke or use tobacco when using dichlorvos, so they don’t even need to further research the nasty effects it can have on you when lit on fire and inhaled. It’s toxic enough on it’s own through dermal exposure As you know oxidation and combustion completely change the molecular makeup of these chemicals and can make them much more toxic.

And on that subject I strongly advise anyone who uses Sevin outside on their property, to stop using Carbaryl immediately. Bayer did a study in the 80’s about toxicity with regards to tobacco smoke, and through the study, found it to be extremely toxic to those who use cannabis, though not so bad for those just using tobacco. Apparently when cannabis binds to the cannabinoid receptors, it allows the carbaryl to more easily disrupt the cholinesterese system. Considering that organophosphates work with the same mode of action, it would be reasonable to assume the NO PEST STRIPS/DDVP are also more toxic to cannabis users as well. Pesticide companies don’t have to warn you of this, because cannabis is a Schedule 1 substance. If it were schedule two, they would have to further research the link between cannabis users and increased toxicity from cholinesterese inhibitors. If I forgot to mention before, although atropine may be used as an emergency antidote for acute toxicity/poisonings. Most damage done to the nervous system is irreversible.

Stay away from Organophosphates, Organochlorides and Carbamates if possible folks- there’s so many safer options out there that really do work.Pyrethroids for example are a great place to start. We’re trying to make people medicine, not poison them or ourselves.***

You probably shouldn’t, either :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Oh so definitely no pest strips then. Thanks for that info!

8 Likes

I think so, but if not, it’s sure close. I used Azamax until Hawthorne scooped it up, and also jacked up the price.

I also used NPS’s before a professional exterminator hipped me to their downside. Plus, they never really exterminated the borg, just prolonged the experience.

7 Likes

Yes they do!!! I actually use them when needed, on average every 4 to 5 years whenever it’s my turn for the mites. Don’t say it won’t work if you have not used it

3 Likes

They may work, but why would anyone use them in an enclosed space with clear and explicit warnings not to do so.

8 Likes

I was ask the same thing when I grew herb for the last 45 years

2 Likes

If I invest in a fogger for preventative IPM (so this doesn’t happen to me) what should I be spraying in Veg & how often.

I haven’t been using anything, just ONE spinosad foliar before I flip & I just change clothes if I’ve been in the yard & shower after cutting grass. But who am I kidding, it’s not enough :laughing:

6 Likes

I have used the hot shot pest strips In a sealed tote of dirt between grows and it’s in a closed closet.

I won’t let them sit out in the open air.

1 Like

I wouldn’t do that. I have, and they don’t, and they are dangerous, too boot, especially if you are sharing the treated weed with another mammal or fishes. I try to be responsible.

7 Likes

We live in 2 different Universes.

1 Like

Looks Nice

1 Like

I know a few oh those bandaid haze cuts are getting passed round these days. Are one of these cuts what brought in the mites for you? I was hoping to get the church pheno from a friend soon but might hold off till my ipm strategy isnt none existent lol.

10 Likes

Yeah the mites came in on the bandaid haze cuts. I knew they were coming with them and kept them separated. Got the church cut entirely clean, lost the #7, but somehow in all that time I guess some mites escaped quarantine and hit two of my mom’s before I noticed.

10 Likes

@HolyAngel No straight Malawi. I only found one cross with it.
BACIO GELATO Celestial Temple Sativa X Malawi
https://www.nextgenerationnurseries.com/growing-strains-1/bacio-gelato 

2 Likes