Hopefully more than a mota of mota's mota

The containers they matured in are 10 gallon. They all began in smaller pots, mostly 1 gallon, then got transplanted to either a 5 (and then another transplant into a 10) or to their final 10 gallon home.

2 Likes

I’ve recently begun to obsess over root space. Many years ago, I had very small grow (5 plants) in half-gallon containers. The plants were beautiful, but tiny. I did a seed run some time ago in 5-gallon buckets. The plants were nice, but I couldn’t help but think they could have gotten bigger, if they’d had more root space. Because there are nothing but guerrilla grows here, space is almost always a concern. Last year a buddy of mine grew some seeds I gave him in 2-gallon containers and the bud was killer but not more than an ounce or two from each plant.

1 Like

Hello @mota long time OG first time posting here in the mota. :sunglasses: I grow indoor and outdoor. My position on the planet enables me to photoperiod bloom outside from October to March.

Have a great week, seeyah next time. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I’d really like to say they’re tabi, but yes, they’re socks with zori. How culturally insensitive of me! rofl

Truth be told and full disclosure, I was having cold feet about it too. Ba dum…

4 Likes

You might want to look for a garden cart second hand. You should be able to pick up used one for $20-$50 as a new one is only about $150.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for that excellent suggestion! Those larger inflatable tires could really make a difference moving over as uneven a surface as my yard’s. d8JBdDJ

1 Like

Those are nice. My mother-in-law has one and we’ve put it to good use.

1 Like

I waffled when I first started this thread. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka SAD), and like most (all?) folks who have it, winter and early spring is my/our bad time of year. I was really trying to perk myself up cuz I was feeling like shit. I wasn’t sure I would ever grow again.

In addition to the SAD, my physical condition is another issue for me. I’m better than I was even a year ago from the residual yet ongoing effects of my stroke 5+ years ago, but that’s far from “fully recovered.” Then near the end of last year’s season, when I had only 2 or 3 small plants left, I tore my left rotator cuff. It’s slowly recovering. Then, about the time I started this thread, I started noticing a numbing in my right hand. It’s some kind of repetitive motion injury. I’ve had something like this before and time is the only thing that works in terms of recovery.

Kind of associated to the residual effects of my stroke, I have decided to give up my drivers license. My birthday was Feb 22, and I skipped my driving test. I am officially not a driver any longer. This is taking some time to come to grips with. I completely stopped driving for about 3 years following the stroke, and I have never been a really consistent driver since. I just don’t trust myself driving any longer. I don’t know what I would do if I injured somebody, so I’ll get an ID card rather than a drivers license. I’ll sell my truck, which I dearly love, perhaps to my son or, less likely, the grandson.

After talking to Mrs. mota for what must have felt like endless nattering to her (although she’s heard it for decades about this time of year), I’m feeling emotionally ready to grow again. She reminded me of the sheer joy I have experienced these last two years growing. That’s no shit. I just love it! I’m not a morning person, but looking back I realize that I enjoyed my mornings far more when I had weed to tend.

So my update is that now, a week or so later, while it’s true I’m still low, I do see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m going to Portland to visit my son and daughter-in-law the week of March 5th, Sunday to Sunday. Perhaps the grandkids will show up too and we can break bread together. Hopefully it will have stopped raining and warmed up a bit by then. It’s been unseasonably cold here recently and I believe that’s expected to continue off and on for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading.

12 Likes

I started indoor this past winter because I finally retired from playing hockey and I needed something to do. I know my way around an outdoor grow pretty good, but this was a learning experience, and a fun one at that. Good for you to get back inthe saddle. Take care…

6 Likes

Thank you. Mrs. mota is so supportive of my growing. She knows the joy it brings me as no one else does. I love her so much!

I’d like to be able to have a small indoor grow in addition to the outdoor, but I just don’t have any room at the moment. That may, however, change in the not too distant future. (I’ll leave my trepidations about growing indoors aside for the moment and let them continue to ripen. I’m sure they’ll come into full bloom if I start an indoor grow! HA!)

Since giving up driving I’m going to get a bicycle to do local errands, etc. To be able to do that I’m going to have to get rid of (read sell some, toss some) a few tools that I expect I will never again use and other stuff. None of it is junk, so I’ll be putting what I don’t sell out in front of our building. Useful stuff doesn’t last long here.

I’m going to try to get rid of enough stuff to be able to store the bike and a small tent. I admit to being somewhat (:rofl:) of a pack-rat, so this will be challenging. In the past few years I have given my son some of my dad’s tools, so I know I’m capable of doing this. Now I just have to do it.

7 Likes

I just got back from visiting my son and his kids. His wife has been dealing with some long term health issues and, unfortunately, wasn’t there.

I’ve started making named stakes for my grow this year. I expect to start germinating later this week or certainly by next week.

Thanks for looking! smile1

6 Likes

A little older than your avatar labrat, pleased to meet you hats off , want to see some action … Pirata|nullxnull

2 Likes

True, I do look a little older than my avatar, but clearly it’s the same person. Just imagine my current beard on the picture of my younger self! lol (1) You can see that clearly it’s the same guy! rofl

I want to see some damn action too! Okay, okay, it’s not much, but my commercial seed stakes are at least marked. As an outdoor grower, it’s always a crap shoot about what the weather will be like in the near future. That said and with the knowledge that it likely will get cold again here, I think germinating will be next week.

None of these are from OG. I’m going to get those done in the next few days.

The plan had been to grow just 8 plants this season. Clearly, that number will be expanded. I’m just not sure by how much yet. I had 15 at the end of the season last year. It was a lot.

10 Likes

I’ve been having a lot of right hand pain for the last week or two. Okay, okay, probably longer. You can see what it looked like this morning. It throbs half way up to my elbow. I think it’s a repetitive motion injury. It’s fucked up.

This may postpone what happens with my 2023 grow for the next little while. I will keep you posted. This is painfully disappointing for me. That said, I’m going to grow this year!

7 Likes

That hand does look swollen. I hope you get to feeling better soon and can get that garden growing.

Have a great season and happy growing. I’ll be hanging out and watching.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, @Pleasantrees420, for your well wishes. The swelling has gone down nearly completely, however, the hand remains sore. I’m confident I will continue to improve. smile1

That said about my hand remaining sore, I’ve just been so antsy to pop some beans, today will be day one for 2023. We’re expecting more rain and perhaps a little more real weather (unlike what the Bay Area usually gets), but I just can’t wait any longer.

Today’s seeds are all commercial. On the plate, you can see what I’m germinating, one each of what’s in the bags.

I bought these before I knew how generous seed growers here are. :100: :green_heart: My thinking is, if there’s more real weather and some seedlings potentially get damaged, I’d prefer them be commercial rather than seeds from here. I’ll be germinating seed from OGs in a week. d8JBdDJ

I’m going to try to remember to take pics on a regular basis and add some narrative at important moments. You know, like first words, etc. ROFLMAO

This will constitute my space cadet grow journal! lol (1)

Thank you for looking!

13 Likes

Nice strain selection, are they all fems or you are just rolling the dices putting just one? beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

These are all feminized. The next round will all be regular photos/dice rollers, so there will probably be some males. A seed or two for that second planting will be from a mystery pack.

Regarding what varieties said possible males may be, I’ll keep you updated about what’s germinating when. As I sex them, when I see a male, I’ll pull it (or hopefully give it away) and germinate another to replace it. It will string out my season, but such is life.

I’ll also mention here that if anyone who’s reading this lives in the Bay Area and would like any male plants I have, I would be more than happy to give them to you. You would have to come and get them since I don’t drive, but I would love to see them go to a pollinating home! smile1

6 Likes

Beanz a poppin’! These are all commercially boughten feminized seeds.

I guess I’d better be getting ready to grow some weed! Pot leaf hopper

Thanks for looking! smile1

13 Likes

Good to see you back in track… beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes