Hot semi-arid OD

Made in the shade, by the @shade :sunglasses:
I saw this article today - they seem to send it out every season and it’s always a good read. Anyway, some info on AV

Enhanced resilience

Aloe vera also contains enzymes and plant hormones that help to reduce transplant shock, and boost the plant’s resilience to drought, stress, and disease. For instance, the high levels of acemannan and saponin found in aloe vera both provide antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. This helps to protect plants from pathogens including harmful microbes, fungus, yeast, mold, or blight.

Last but not least, the high levels of salicylic acid naturally found in aloe vera plays a big role in its healing powers! You’ve probably heard of salicylic acid before; it’s commonly found in skincare products to fight blemishes. In a similar manner, salicylic acid enhances the plant’s version of an immune system (known as the systemic immune response or SAR) that will help them fend off disease.

The combination of all these things leads to happier, healthier plants that are more resilient to disease, pest pressure, as well as environmental stresses like transplanting, drought, chilling, heat, soil-borne contaminants, and more. Resilient plants require far less fussing and frustration, so you’ll be much happier too!

and then there’s this article, which talks about AV as a rooting hormone, and the natural PGRs (plant growth regulators) it has. The paper is titled, Effect of Aloe vera Gel for Inducing Rooting of Stem Cuttings and Air layering of Plants By Menaka-Fernando
(it’s not letting me post the link but the paper is on ResearchGate, and this is the Abstract:

Abstract and Figures

Plant growth regulators (PGRs) are important to facilitate root formation and firm plant establishment hence used in vegetative propagation for many years. Farmers use natural alternative compounds to induce rooting of cuttings. The present study was conducted to identify the effect of Aloe vera gel on root formation of stem cuttings and air layering of plants. Three experiments were conducted to compare Aloe vera gel with commercially available PGR for root induction of semi hardwood cuttings (Citrus aurantifolia)), softwood cuttings (Coleus spp) and air layering plants of Syzygium jambos. Total root length, number of roots and root vigour were not significantly different among treatments for semi hardwood cuttings of Citrus aurantifolia, softwood cuttings of Coleus spp and air layering plants of Syzygium jambos. Furthermore, effect of PGR and Aloe vera gel was not significant for Citrus aurantifolia and Syzygium jambos. However, effect of PGR was significantly different when compared to cuttings did not receive either Aloe vera gel or PGR. Synthetic PGRs can be replaced by Aloe vera gel, a natural alternative root inducing substance, for semi hardwood cuttings of Citrus aurantifolia and air layering of Syzygium jambos but not for softwood cuttings of Coleus spp. These finding could be used in developing natural root inducing substance and resolving and reducing the risk of chemical toxicity in plants due to PGRs.

7 Likes

My previous post has a red line next to it, not sure what that means :man_shrugging:t2:. Anyway, the Mulanjes have been all moved back into the growroom. They’re absolutely eating shit in this heat. A month ago, before I put them outside, they looked like this:

I’ve got 5 left, the two males are the worst off and a third one not looking great:

There is some hint to rain in a week or so, but also temps are riding high around 110* for a few days at least.

… and although this might look like some miserable tale of woe - it’s not. I do have a plan here. I am getting to a point with all of this

5 Likes

dont see a tale of woes just see one persistent ass dude lol
i think red line means there werent any new posts since your last?
hope you get that rain.

4 Likes

Monsoon season should happen soon :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

This is an El Niño year so I’m not expecting too much rain.
I saw this today:

… man it’s difficult to get any work done around here
7-8-plot

5 Likes

I keep thinking about saving the plants, and of course I should be, but it also occurs to me that I should be studying the ones that got bit by the heat. I assert that most of the damage has been done because the roots get too hot. A big part of this is black plastic pots. It’s like total and certain death.

On the other hand there’s plants, same environmental conditions, and they’re doing well. These, I assume, are heat tolerant, but also they’re in fabric or “air” pots, which keeps the roots more cooled
Guyana Bagseed (left) Emperor Haze IX (right)

Sawa Anise

Blue Dream

LimeHeads

7 Likes

Sheesh man, that’s rugged. How hot is it?

What about wrapping the other pots in something, even burlap would be a big help keeping the sun off them. Shit, you could probably put the corner in some water and it’d wick and evaporate, like a soil swamp cooler without over watering the airpots

1 Like

Monsoons are starting. But the heat is still intense and my plants are struggling

Bandaid Haze 7 - before and after

Ace Zamaldelica x NepJam

Various elite clones and keepers after the pump died in the cloner

… and life is just to die
:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Your big issue is that you need far far larger pots. And of course the black absorbs sun. A 50 gallon pot can still be cool in the interior even on a hot day. A 1-2 gallon has no chance.

In those tiny pots the soil is the same temperature as the air. 100 degree roots is death.

Even in the desert a couple feet down the soil is nice and cool. I’d suggest burying the pots so the roots stay cool and mulch over that.

7 Likes

Yes. You are spot-on correct. For example, here’s a plant from July 27th last year

Pot size makes the difference.
Part of what I’m documenting here is to make a personal note NOT to get all randy in the Spring and start popping seeds (unless I got nice big pots for them).
I was just talking with a neighbor and we both grow veggies in our back yards. She was saying how everything this year is dying. It’s been a particularly dry and excessively hot Summer this year. For me I’m creating this “note to self” to remind myself not to start outdoor things until the monsoons hit - which is now.
Thanks for stopping by, @vernal

7 Likes

both the shade and clips are vigoro brand (home depot). keeps everything room temp or just under and still lets air through, seems to not trap the heat like all the other shades/materials ive experimented with. also blocks enough water to handle light rain showers and not let the top of the soil get wet or allow water into the res below.

i was filling up the kiddie pool for my dog today and thought that plus some pond film on top with the largest netpot you could find and the widest 50gal grow bag you could find could be an interesting experiment for the desert outdoors. then you could shade them with this cloth to keep them cool. would need to secure the grow bag and net pot with supports though, building something with 1" pvc pipe wouldnt be tough.

as always admire the commitment.

2 Likes

nice video of a rain storm rolling through Tucson last night.

3 Likes

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this!

2 Likes

I’m glad you liked, @FieldEffect - it was a beast of storm for sure!
So these are some of what I have in the hopper that’ll go outside in a month or so, probably a little sooner
A cross I made of two Northern Laos from the same region - Bokeo, Laos. True F1s, I’m stoked to see how they do

Acid Beauties from @MAHAKALA - very much looking forward to these

and Burmese from The Real Seed Co

6 Likes

very nice, they will narrow in flowering quite a lot…

I am curious about that burmese too…

2 Likes

My outdoor plot is starting to come together. The rains have started falling, and with them cooler temps and higher humidity. The next week should be cooler so I hope to get what i need into the ground.

Most all of these will run through to next year. The Guyana (bagseed from there) has started budding - so it’ll finish earlier. The Sawa Anise (from Hyp3rids) is pretty scraggly at this point and I’m hoping she fills out some more. The Bandaid Hz7 is the smallest of the bunch and it’ll be a test to see if she sets in. The Bokeo 12 is extremely vigorous and will most likely be the biggest plant. The Burmese (also from RSC) is healthy and strong. The Mulanje Gold is the sole survivor from the wicked heat a month ago and I’m stoked to see how she does.
I’ve got more to set into the ground - another Burmese, another Bokeo, Acid Beauty, and some Emperor Haze IX… But for now this is it

7 Likes

Last night I got three more in the ground
Bokeo #2 (Real Seed Co)

Acid Beauty (@MAHAKALA )

Burmese (Real Seed Co)

The weather is really nice today - cooled down to below 100*. These will set in nicely. Still a few more to get into the ground, but all in all running smoothly

9 Likes

Oooh the rains have arrived and it’s great!
I’ve added some more plants and took out the Sawa Anise, as it was just failing. Newly planted are wo Emperor Haze IX, from @santero, and there’s still room for one more.

6 Likes

ouch , i am out of likes, hehe.
looking good there, me broo !!

guyana, eh? i never had that yet :star_struck:
i know i got some mulanje somewhere, but can’t locate them.

what are you gonna fill that last spot with? :yum:

__

but i found the namibia, that outhereinthesun shared to me from there.
i am gonna send those to our friend at hyp3rids :wink:
if there is anything good in there, he will find it (!)

4 Likes

aaaactually, I’m waiting for some plants to show sex before I choose which goes in the last spot… I have some Oaxaca x C5 and then some Golden Brown (Chocolate Trip f3 X Golden Highland Thai) from Hyp3rids. Both strains are taking their time to show, so probably whichever is first will go in… The race is on! :snail:

And OHITS, I miss him. He sent me seeds a couple of times, and they never arrived. I’m happy you got some. Chewie will do them right for sure.

The Guyana is from an IG friend. They arrived labeled Guyana Bagseed
“… from bagseed collected circa 2015 by a peace corp member in Georgetown, Guyana
The herb was likely grown on the berbice coast or linden. finished oct 16 outdoors here”

… so there you go, going to finish about the same time here, too.
And now I see how you ran out of likes… Thanks for stopping by, San :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes