How do you feel about algae?

I’m an aquarium guy, I don’t see any issue with it and haven’t seen and truly negative effects from it. I could see green water becoming a big issue with oxygen levels, but other than that, my roots outcompete the little that grows in my white buckets by many magnitudes.

Lastly, I’m 3 autos in clear 1 gallon containers with light shining in it to see what would happened, they grew just fine despite the algae that happily grew… I did paint those after about 5 weeks because the water was so green you couldn’t see roots, but the plants were FINE, even vigorous :joy:

So, how do you view algae and running a clean vs. more aquarium like system? Meaning, maybe some water changes some nutes, but not much else.

1 Like

I didn’t see huge issues either, but I wonder if other stuff besides algae could potentially end up catching hold. Like root pathogens of some sort? Its nice to have clear cups for clones to see roots, but you can just put that cup inside a non clear cup. I don’t see any other advantages to it.

3 Likes

Agreed, it was more so that I’ve seen so many people make a big deal about it, and while it’s not something to encourage, it’s also just a natural part of a bio system :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve gotten it before in humidity domes under a t5… I have had no problems with it really as long as I clean it off when I see it or it may happen to get out of hand. By that I mean say covering a corner or so where any residual runoff had sat. No biggie, I’ve also had the pleasure of getting it on the side of a fabric pot… went away fast when I didn’t water for a cycle and dried out the usual tropic feeling in the 4x8. Other wise I don’t deal too much with hydro anything except a cloner and haven’t had that problem with the cloner yet.

1 Like

If algae isn’t growing in some form, be worried I say… It’s the basis of life (unless you’re a creationist), it’s ubiquitous where there is water

1 Like

I must say, I learned a lot watching those roots grow every day! It’s something every serious grower/breeder should observe! A lot of soil guys like to look down on hydro, or have misconceptions about it being sterile, but the way I run things it’s anything but, my system is more like a river bank than it is anything else. Hell, I’ve even got peat in my system and let all that good stuff accumulate in the bottom of my buckets :man_shrugging::joy:

I approach my system like an organic soil grower approaches things. It may bite me some day, but so far so good, the bugs, worms, bacteria and whatever else pops up gets to stay in some form as long as they serve a purpose. I will be trying to add non invasive snails known not to harm roots soon to see if they want some algae to munch on. I want to see if a self sustaining hydro system with no inputs is possible…

1 Like

I keep it simple and just use plastic bags, it works bromigos…

Before

After

7 Likes

I guess it’s a question of , if in hydroponics, the chances of getting the whole system clogged up are quite big, plus I think acidifying of the medium/ water is what usually happens. I have never done any hydroponic in my life but I remember reading something about this.

I always block out the light, algae can lead to other issues down the line, plus I use RDWC so it can potentially clog up or even lessen the flow in a line etc. better safe than sorry imo

I use panda film. Cut little 5” or 8” sections depending on my net pots. Used to buy the covers but theysuck, fold up etc. since making my own zero issues. @PhilCuisine I have used garbage bags as well when I didn’t have panda film

1 Like

Im not gonna buy black buckets or paint buckets, I recycle and use whatever is around that will do the job…when it comes to growing folks I try no to do any any kind of overthinking…Growing weed is suppose to relieve stress and that won’t work if people keep overthinking things…I’m just saying…

2 Likes

Algae isn’t good.

1 Like

I buy and use Current Culture RDWC products. Have 2 sets now and a Veg setup. They come pre-made black but the material is thick enough no light would get through anyway, plus I run sterile so algae should not grow anyway, but I have 10 boxes of panda film I was given so I cover my net pots too.

1 Like

A non issue in my areas.

Like what issues?

I try to avoid it.
I have black and blue buckets. I add 3% peroxide to my top ups.

I grow in hydro to reduce variables.

I see algae as a variable to eliminate. I want to know what the plant is doing to EC levels and PH and not have to contend with something else feeding off my nutes/water.

Can see in some situations that the impact is minimal, just certainly not for me.

1 Like

@Bammer1082 I’m pretty well versed in what nutrient levels algae tends to grow (rather low, .06 ppm phosphrous can cause algae blooms) and the nutrient consumption of algae, even if it takes hold, is fairly minimal.

Not saying people need to try to grow the stuff, just that a little growing will not have any measurable impact on the massive amount of nutes we run in hydro.

2 Likes

@Reefer good to know,!
I’ll still try and avoid it the best I can, but will certainly take less drastic action if it pops up now and again.

Beyond measuring and the minor fluctuations has it had any impact on your return lines? Mine are small only 1/2 inch.

1 Like

Sometimes I get a little green on the top of my Promix but I don’t care.

1 Like

@Foreigner the tops of some of my rapid rooters look like their own little bog :joy:

2 Likes