How do *you* store your seeds?

your going to keep your weed in the fridge?? i guess its probably super hot in costa rica?

1 Like

I meant seeds. Sorry bro. HAAHHAAHA

1 Like

ah i have known people to keep pounds in their freezer for storage but seeds makes more sense! i should probably get mine in the fridge or freezer, those stardawg ones at least are already old.

i just have mine in bags/plastic containers inside a bigger gasket sealed container with a bunch of rice so hopefully itā€™s dry enough but the thermostats usually at 70. i prefer 67 or 68 but my kid complains its too cold

3 Likes

silica isnt that the little packs you get in a new pair of shoes ?

1 Like

yes the packets of silica gel, they use as desiccant with lots of products. they also make cat litter with it, marketed as crystal litter or something. i know one girl who refuses to use anything else. i tried it but didnā€™t like it, found it didnā€™t really deodorize so it stunk like piss.

1 Like

These are great for keeping moisture away from stored seeds, weed and pollen.

A gift to the canning cannabinist.

2 Likes

Yes, it comes in all clothing shipped in containers to keep the moisture/mold off of the products.

Hereā€™s a pic of how some of mine are stored atm. I should really put some in the freezer but donā€™t have the balls to do it yet. They are vac sealed with one of those desicant packs in each one, wrapped in a black garbage bag and put in the fridge. Only bout half my collection can fit in this picture. I am still paranoid of freezing them even though I know itā€™s possible with great success.

11 Likes

new to seed storage, what is the desiccant, who makes it, brands, etcā€¦?

Regards,

mike

1 Like

Desiccants are typically silica that is placed in a porous sack (paper). They absorb excess H2O. They ship in all types of clothing to keep it fresh during oversees shipping.

1 Like

How does one determine the size desiccant sack to use and how long it is good? Am I remembering right that some times, people put these into their cannabis storage jars?

Regards,

mike

1 Like

I would avoid putting into cannabis jars with the herb, as it will continue to dry it out. It is great for keeping seed dry. Check into Boveeda packs for storage directly in the herb. This product is designed to maintain 1 specific relative humidity for its whole life.

I also use it when I store pollen. Here they are taped to the bottom of the lid.

3 Likes

I have seeds that I had made myself more than 12 years ago and have been frozen in an airtight plastic container with rice and the seeds go into separate airtight vials that hold a strain in each with some rice in it as well. I put the whole container in 2 ziplock bags with rice in each bag. The amount of rice is just a few grams at the bottom of the bag. The extra ziplock bags prevent condensation from forming on the seedsā€™ containers and allow me to move them out remove a few seeds and pack everything back in dry. I just use a dry cloth before I close every container and go super fast. Last time I sprouted from them was 3 years ago so they were like 9 years old, and they sprouted flawlessly. I would be surprised if they have any problems in sprouting now.

4 Likes

Under the right conditions, indefinitely.

99%

2 Likes

I must be lucky then I have routinely been able to pop seads from 10plus years ago stored in cool dark place with at least 70% percent germination rates, except for some lavender which had a zero germ rate but was from a non reputable company

1 Like

Mason jar, rice, fridge.

2 Likes

At -40 C. In 50ml plastic containers in another Tupperware with silica crystals in the outside container. I try to keep track of what is there and label it well. If I think I am going to use something often Iā€™ll keep a smaller container of them in the fridge as well. If I donā€™t have many seeds of something, I keep them in a drawer till I can make lots of seeds to freeze. Iā€™m like Gollum with seeds. :smile:

My bro stores them frozen in 5ml centrifuge tubes in a vacuum flask in the freezer, he reckons the vacuum flask prevents temperature variation if you are opening the freezer or transferring the seeds to another place etc. Heā€™s probably right.
Freezing at least in my experience works just fine, I was shit scared about freezing my whole stash but from a germination test we did of 100 frozen vs 100 non frozen the difference was negligible if anything.
Try it with some crappy brick weed seeds as a test. Itā€™s worthwhile.

5 Likes

I store mine in the freezer -50 f below
In 35 mm film canisters .

I had to use a small torch and heat up a small tungsten cherry red to cut the foam no exacto knife on hand or hot knife so I had to make do with what I had. It did the job.
CS

6 Likes

-50F below :astonished: Thatā€™s a deep freeze!

2 Likes

Yes sub-zero thatā€™s how AKbeanbrains stored his 30+ year old stock of SSSC, Sensi beans.

6 Likes