Seed storage techniques

Just wondering how everyone stores their seeds for the long term. Air removed? Fridge? Freezer? Desiccants? Interested to hear everyone’s opinions :call_me_hand:

12 Likes

Plastic viles , cotton inside to protect, those are held withing a water proof plastique box, inside the fridge In a non transparent box. For many years I kept them out of the fridge and never had any issues but once I started investing in beans on the regular I fig the fridge was a better bet.

9 Likes

Avoid extreme cold and heat, you want cool and dry with minimal tempature fluctuations

9 Likes

In pill bottles with paper towels shoved in. Room temperature.

6 Likes

Vac sealed in small packs with a desiccant then put in a stainless container in the chest freezer. Hanging out with the meat and butter :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

Option # 1. Pelican case , you can notch out the foam and put glass viles or bottles with seeds Ect…
then store them in the freezer.

Option #2 never tried this but read it some where with great results you can roll each seed in bees wax so that moisture and ambient room temperatures don’t degrade the seed I read where a guy did this and put them in a candy tin in his living room for 8 yrs and when he was ready to pop them he rubbed each seed down with acetone to remove the wax coating and they all popped.

Option #3 fridge in glass jar with the little packs to keep moisture out. Preferably in the back of the fridge due to if you keep them in the front with opening and closing fridge frequently might not be a good idea.

Well best of luck…

9 Likes

I put them into ziplock bags with desiccant and into Homemade “stash” cans into the back of the fridge.
Seems to be working so far for me.

Cheers Johnny

6 Likes

exactly the same as @Heritagefarms said.
I also have a small stash of surplus desiccants in there - you know, like ‘lucky rabbits feet’ :wink:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I store packs in Tupperware containers and keep them in the fridge.

5 Likes

Feel much more organized with this little unit… each vile holds around 50 seeds depending on size of the seeds…
These will get sealed in a freezer bag w desiccants and into the freezer.

20 Likes

Small ziplock baggies in a Tupperware type container in the frigidaire…

10 Likes

Man that is a great idea Did the vials come in that case or did you repurpose it?

Thanks man.
:guitar:

1 Like

All came as one deal… for like $12 or something… here’s the link where I purchased from…
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001808931402.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.122752.0&scm_id=1007.23125.122752.0&scm-url=1007.23125.122752.0&pvid=6d536865-da20-479d-a314-7cd3411aa7fc&_t=gps-id:pcStoreJustForYou,scm-url:1007.23125.122752.0,pvid:6d536865-da20-479d-a314-7cd3411aa7fc&spm=a2g0n.store_home.smartJustForYou_171968340.0

6 Likes

I believe humidity to be a bigger factor. Although temp is important too. I have taken to adding a bit of cotton to the plastic tubes I keep them in.

As long as they are in an air conditioned space though and not subject to huge swings of either should be fine for years. That is supposed to be close to 55% RH and the seeds aren’t going to dry out too fast at the temps we find comfortable.

1 Like

Initially I saw that from @Cadman when he first got here.
It is a great idea (especially the way I index seeds) I have to get a couple.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Yeah man, thats looking good.

I just wrote the # on the tops and the side of the vile. No names of strains. I have a spreadsheet for what ## is what strain… This way, I can reuse the same bottle if nessarry.

Otherwise your looking good and organized.

4 Likes

Thanks @CADMAN - I thought of that about half way through- the numbering system… woulda been smarter but it’ll all work out - and I’m a bit on the nostalgic side so I’m probably gonna keep a version of everything I have in seed form now… or at least attempt to

1 Like

Right! Thanks for reminding me… I knew I saw this idea here somewhere but couldn’t remember who it was… @CADMAN for the win!
Thanks for the reminder @Gpaw

4 Likes

Great methods here. Always looking to improve storage, and have a question.

How much dessicant is to much? I’ve heard of dudes who want the weight of the seeds in the container to equal the weight of the dessicant beads. Something about seeds being live beings, and using up their lifeforce with too much or too little dess.

1 Like

Actually, thank you for the reminder, I have to get mine soon! :smile:

Cheers
G

2 Likes