Vacuum Sealer suggestions + long term storage

Semi long term storage

I have My harvest from early June cured to my tastes right Now.

I am searching the classified for a second hand food saver .

Not much currently.

SO I want to check out amazon.

Any body pick out a particularly good one from Amazon?

I haven’t even checked what’s on it.

Ideally i just want to control the vaccume and not destroy the buds (hehe a couple HP’s Have turned into vhs tapes in the past)

Hoping to find a few cheap ones but willing to consider O.Gs personal favourites .

Thanks!

Also.

Storage techniques? 4-6-12 months?

Calix

8 Likes

I have this one
Limited-time deal: FoodSaver FM5200-033 2-in-1 Food Preservation System, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XH7GTFV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_VZ71N7XQENQRWW0VPGMP
And it’s nice because you can seal bags, jars, containers. Gives more options for you.

6 Likes

I think you’d be better off buying a new one. The simple ones are less than $30 I think, and maybe less than 20. I got mine at Walmart for storing hops when I was into homebrewing beer. I bought a Seal A Meal model. Now I use it to store weed a little. I’m about to look for a newer one as one of my locking buttons broke.

They’re great for storing anything. If you store it in a cool and dark space, they should last a good long time. Problem is that you don’t want to go so far as to crush the bud, so you’ll have to leave a little O2 in there. That would cause some degradation from slight oxidation over time. So, I really don’t know the answer as to long term storage but I was about to start asking, too. I always have weed left from the grows before and would like to do a little better for storing it.

Amazon and Walmart will be about the same. If you have a WM close, you can have it the same day and look at the features. Like any appliance, you can pay what you want. They probably have a model that will fold your towels if you can afford it.

They work really good for food storage. So, it’ll get used a lot.

4 Likes

Get one that has an external port on it that you can connect something like this to it.

jar sealer

I’ve been using 1 quart mason jars (brown glass) and sealing with this beastie. Works great! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

14 Likes

Buy one where you can control the degree of vacuum. On some it’s just one button and does a mega seal. You don’t want to crush your buds.

I have buds in jars that are still perfect (maybe even better) a year later.

It has been suggested to me that I seal them and throw them in the freezer and they will last forever but I haven’t gotten around to it.

You can also make butter in the bags.

5 Likes

That sure stops the problem of crushing the buds and could remove most all of the O2.

2 Likes

That’s what the one I posted has. I have even MacGyvered a way to seal the gallon jars.

5 Likes

You need to make sure it has a manual seal button very important it does. A lot of the cheaper ones don’t and to get the perfect seal without bricking your buds it’s necessary.

I’ve found if you first put your buds into a zip lock remove almost all the air and zip shut . Proceed to now vacuum you’ll want to stop when you see the vacuum bag compress watching the buds in the ziplock they will start to compress till the air in the ziplock equalize hit the seal button.
Storage time frame no expiry date that I’ve found yet . I do store in a freezer also.
Questions and comments welcome.
@MBVapester link is the machine I use

7 Likes

Here’s mine. The “pulse” is the important part

8 Likes

I’ve had 2 FoodSaver brands. They change features and design from time to time, but are usually the best on the market. However, they will not last forever, so keep that in mind as you spend your money.

I would suggest that you not buy a used one. There are issues that eventually cause them to fail, and those issues are sporadic until they’re permanent. You don’t want to end up with one that works fine when you get it, then fails 2 months later.

Just make sure that whatever brand you buy, the rolls (from which you make the bags) are not proprietary to that brand.

7 Likes

They also work well for tightening up loose buds eliminate the zip lock and seal slightly compressed .

3 Likes

You are not supposed to store the machine in the closed position because this causes the seals to squish and deform. They are neoprene or something.

Mine is…a year old now. (Year and a half)

5 Likes

The Food Savers can pull 80% vacuum, I imagine the other brands are similar.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

That’s not the issue. Those foam seals are replaceable. I bought my first FoodSaver about 18 years ago, so 2 in that length of time isn’t bad. But they aren’t cheap and there are less expensive alternatives - that’s all I was saying.

Edit: First failure was due to one of the heating elements no longer working. Second failure, which I’m currently dealing with, is in the locking mechanism for the lid that has to be engaged before the heating elements will do their job. It works sometimes, but mostly doesn’t work. Very frustrating!

4 Likes

Mine is a cheapo version but it was a gift so I can’t complain.

Either way, a vacuum sealer is a good tool to have in your dope growing arsenal :+1:

2 Likes

Do you have a sense how much longer your buds lasting vs. without the vacuum?

I use brown mason jars with Boveda packs and can go around a 12-14 months at room temperature, but the buds start to noticeably decline after about 8-9 months.

2 Likes

Another thing to consider that’s rarely talked about is that, if you seal in the plastic, make sure to buy it from somewhere that doesn’t store the pallets of plastic next to laundry detergent or fabric softener or anything stinky. If you buy the plastic that’s stored next to stinky shit, anything you seal will end up with the same stank. This is a problem for those of us who are extra sensitive to synthetic smells and flavors.

Regardless of storage in jars or plastic, putting them in the freezer will prevent degradation forever, as long as your freezer doesn’t go through defrost cycles.

9 Likes

Good observation.
My jars are stored in a dark cold-room. The unvacced jars decline (terp wise) after 9 months but still are potent. The vacced jars haven’t had a noticeable decline yet so I’m thinking a year?
I’m planning on storing the vacced jars in the chest freezer for long term (careful on the handling when cold).

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Sweet info everyone .
Much appreeesh!!!

Walmart was alway my go to for them . Just trying to hunt a nice decent one down its been over 10 years since I’ve seen a model. They always came with adaptors but I never knew how to use the pump and syphon tube.

One that I did have for a while . I noticed the heat strip didn’t work part way through the line. So like in the middle it didn’t melt /Seal properly.

I love amazon.

So chances are I’ll just get one on there…
I want to be able to store some meats I get from Costco.

The Bags were the most expensive part…
The rolls are pretty cool to make your own bags…however I recall particularly liking the pre made ones .

Thanks fellow food savers !

2 Likes

Also
The big factor being , able to tell ifyou can stop the vaccume at any point.

Doesn’t seem so with many on amazon,

It’s” vaccume & seal” + “seal “

I really like the idea of having it in a ziplock with air in it to trick the machine !!

Found a nice looking one for $50 on Amazon.
How does this one look?