How long do you veg your plants? [Indoor only please]

I’ve seen a bunch of what I would consider crazy veg times talked about on here. How long are you vegging your plants before the flip?

6 Likes

I aim for a month after there are at least 4-5 nodes developed. Next round will get 6 weeks regardless so there is some material to take clones from and enough growth to finish with.

What is the usual veg time you use @LED_Seedz? Good topic, looking forward to the replies. Time to learn something. Cheers

6 Likes

I’ll chime in a bit later. I’m curious to get an average and don’t want to sway the thinking.
:wink:

4 Likes

I am assuming the question is pertaining to seed? I almost answered for clones :blush:

4 Likes

It varies widely.

Sometimes the plants move right along, sometimes they do not. I chalk it up to inexperience.

Shortest veg times for me are around 3-4 weeks. Have held plants for up to 2 months when they don’t take well.

7 Likes

I like to flip to flower as soon as the plants surpass the size of a basketball.
From April/May until September or October, that’s about six to eight weeks of veg. The six winter months vegging to the same size takes easily ten to twelve weeks.

4 Likes

Until i think they will finish at about four feet. The more i train the longer it takes. Two to four weeks might be a good average from clone. Four to six weeks from seed sprout i would guess. (I should write more stuff down) Some plants surprise the sh!t out of me with how fast they can grow.

8 Likes

It depends…

My autos only veg for about three weeks, but I know that’s not what you were asking. :smiling_imp:

Let me check my records for the last few grows.

I went too long on the Grass Monkey testers at about six weeks from seed. :monkey: if I had to do it again, I would flip a week earlier.

The Durban Poison took 10 weeks from seed, but they got a bit root bound and stunted. :sweat: They also were in a ScrOG which always takes longer to veg.

The Ancestral Skunk #1 I also went six weeks from seed. :+1:

So I would say six weeks is about average.

5 Likes

I’ve always vegged for 4 weeks with fem seeds. I would’ve done the same this time, with reg seeds. Inexperience caused me to wait the extra week. So yeah, 4 weeks.

5 Likes

From seed I wait for pre flowers to show.

Clones, maybe 2 - 4 weeks depending on the strain.

4 Likes

I very seldom go longer than 4 weeks.
I like to keep them small enough to be easily portable.

5 Likes

6-8 weeks Veg on average and they’ll finish from 3-5ft depending on the strain/ genetics.

Got some tall Ghost Train Haze and Moonshine Haze ladies a little over 5 ft right now that I vegged for 45 days.

8 Likes

Depends on a lot of things. Stretchers don’t get that long unless I plan on lst or scrog, got some slow growers that will take 3 months before they go back into flower,
From clone it’s usually a month or two depending on how packed the flower room is, from seed, I let them show sex then wait for cuts to root usually 60 - 90 days. If i want trees i let them grow a long time and train/supercrop. Now I can cut all those times down by upgrading and dialing in my veg area(vpd, co2, etc), maybe this winter…

4 Likes

I normally run a close knit team of plants (sog) regardless of spacing between plants I think that when leaves are touching it is time to flip to gain maximum floor space used.

I just run 12-12 from seed (yes I know very well that a plant will not flower until sexual maturity) and the mostly indica plants I run start flowering between 21 and 28 days from ‘breaking soil’.

I have had a Herijuana male spill pollen at 21 days from losing his helmet.

My way is not the right way of growing for everyone but it is very efficient, I have run clones straight into flower and vegged then flowered but by the numbers flowering from seed has given me the most grams per day production than any other method.

I consider the empty stems at the bottom of plants as wasted time and energy… but I do not care for plant number limitations if i did have to adhere to limitations I would grow completely differently.( the limit here is zero so 99 more than that is just as illegal as one)

8 Likes

From seed I usually go around 50-60 days from breaking soil. After sexing they’re topped and i wait for all the branches to show pre flowers before flip. If I didn’t top them I could cut a third of that time of easily. With vigorous plants my veg time is way to long but slow growers its perfect. It gives me time if I have any problems and if not prune away.

3 Likes

I grow seeds only and I veg 4-5 weeks in my 2,5x2,5 tent with 4-6 plants :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use clones and from the day they enter the system to their first night is about 12 days. Obviously these are well rooted clones.

From seed I would wait until the plant was sexually mature before wanting to get it to flower.

3 Likes

Ding ding ding, now we are getting close to what I was after.

6 Likes

How would you describe sexually mature? I see pre-flower then wait till the branching goes from opposite to alternate. That is when I think they’re mature enough to flower. My veg time is longer than that.

5 Likes

I’ve got a poison apple male that started alternating branches before it ever threw a ball sack.

3 Likes