How many plants are you growing per square foot outdoors?

How close are you guys packing your plants together outdoors? When I was buying clones for $15 or $20 a pop I tried to do one clone per 4’x4’ raised bed to maximize my bang for buck ratio. It was fun seeing the 6ft+ monsters it made😂

But this year I’m going to be growing from seed, and I want to try to get at least a couple phenos per cultivar to have a better shot of seeing their potential. aaaaaand with how many seeds I’ve managed to collect this past year, there’s a lot I want to try :drooling_face: I’ve seen those commercial greenhouse guys pack a lot of plants into one space so I really want to see what I can get away with. You guys think I could manage 3 or 4 plants in a 4’x4’?

5 Likes

I have 17 plants in 1 gal pots flowering in my 4x4 tent right now in my grow log

Started with 48, only 3 are fem seeds, the rest are regs.

Outdoors you can do 4 nice size plants in a 4x4 bed if it’s in a good spot and you stay on top of pruning to maximize airflow and reduce the chance of mold. Depending on the cultivar and planting time, you could fit even more.

5 Likes

Flower em out in solo cups. The size is up to you. You could jam dozens of lollipops if you were wanting hunt through numbers in a restricted space.

1 Like

:male_detective: Who’s asking?.. :sunglasses: lol More than I should, maybe?

1 Like

I recently did 55 autos in a 5x7 haha

Building a greenhouse that is gonna be 12 x 32,gonna have to hold back on those seed popping itches

6 Likes

3-4 plants is very doable in a 4x4 bed. I’ve got 7 in a 4x4 bed right now. Gonna be putting 10 in the bed after this flower run

2 Likes

I can fit probably 5 and definitely 4 plants in a 3 x 3, if I use 5 gallon pots. Smaller pots and I could cram more in there for sure.
Outdoors I would probably do 2 or maybe 3 in a 4 x 4 bed and I’d push them out to the corners for space. Outdoors they will tend to get huge.

:eyes: . Is there a thread? I’m looking….

Sure is!

Seeds coming soon too

2 Likes

I’m gonna be planting outside the moment light is long enough, probably around mothers day. So no luxury in being able to control their veg length, just gonna let em’ rip.

I was thinking of putting some spokes outside the boxes and sort of bending the 4 plants out and away from the middle to help them spread out if need be but I swear those pics I see of green house grows are putting their plants damn near side by side, I really wonder if I need to bother?

but then again I’d be surprised if they weren’t using light dep

10 Likes

Sea of green would tend to be an indoor thing because you can flower them early or even right away to keep them small. Outdoors light schedule you need more space.

2 Likes

I run around 9 plants in a 4x4 depending on the plants. If i was monocropping TK or Ghost or something I could probably fit 20 or so in that 4x4 but if I was running something that gets bushy and wide, 4 may be more realistic.

3 Likes

That’s a beautiful setup, def grow goals for me! My greenhouse is gonna be big enough

1 Like

I can put 5-6 plants in 3 gallon AirPots in a 2x4.
Topping and training are critical, as is RH control.
No more than 5-6 weeks veg, and you gotta have an idea of growth habit… you can’t fit 3 Vietnamese landraces in a 4x4, but I bet you could put 10 Afghan crosses in there, no problem.

3 Likes

I usually give a plant 2 square feet

2 Likes

I appreciate all the indoor growers chiming in but this is for an outdoor grow. I’m going to move starts outdoors as soon as the weather allows and they’ll be in the ground until it doesn’t. I wont be having the luxury of controlling my veg time or when I flower.

3 Likes

I know right? I dream of the day I have my own land so I can do something like this. Kudos on your build man, I just saw the pics in the thread you posted :sunglasses::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Last year I stuffed 25 plants in a 12 x16, was def to much, only 14 made it to end of season. 12 woulda been ideal

1 Like

wow, 16 sqft a plant? That’s pretty much what I run already :joy: I can see what you mean though, two plants usually fill up my 4’x8’ nicely

1 Like

Ya it was a damn jungle out there

12 Likes