How soon can you flip to 12/12?

That’s an awesome score to be sure, how much did you have to pay if you don’t mind me asking? or you can tell me to F off it’s none of my business, that’s ok as well :smiley:

2 Likes

this company offers a platform for standard PCR and also qPCR although i’m sure you could find others … i’m sure you could figure out specifically which chemicals or reagents you need and order them directly for a lot less but haven’t done the required research for that yet

1 Like

I think it was like $10 for 2 units. Just check out govdeals or university auctions in your area. Sometimes you can find some on eBay for cheap. They’ve been around long enough that a lot of labs are retiring old thermal cyclers for upgraded new ones.

But that’s just one component of the whole operation. You also need to get the chemicals and some kind of gel electrophoresis setup as well. You also probably need a couple micro pipettes.

So I’m pretty much still at square one :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

i don’t think the youpcr protocol requires electrophoresis, you order the solutions from them and i believe it will just turn a pink solution yellow if a Y chromosome is present

3 Likes

I just checked it out. That’s awesome! Maybe I’ll order some and give it a try. Their CBDA/THCA test are pretty sweet too. If I were breeding a new hemp strain I’d be all over those.

2 Likes

i think its just a positive/negative, doesn’t show concentration … you can do at home thin layer chromatography (TLC) testing to get a good idea of cannibinoid concentrations … it’s even cheaper and easier, nearly as accurate as LC-MS testing

3 Likes

Yeah that’s why I thought hemp when I read it. You’d just be looking for things to test negative on the THCA test and positive in the CBDA test during the early life of the plant to know which ones to keep.

I’ve looked at TLC. It’s cool but I don’t know if I’d go with that over GC. I’ve found some places around the state that will do the test for $40-50. It’s not that expensive anymore compared to TLC.

2 Likes

you could probably do hundreds of TLC tests for $50 … buy some of the reagent and chloroform and make your own TLC plates at home … i want to start a local business offering sex and cannibinoid testing but my province doesn’t even allow recreational growing anyways … guess i could do it thru mail

4 Likes

I’ve tried to find “fast blue bb” dye a couple times. That’s where I’ve given up. It’s pretty much only available at chem suppliers that won’t sell to residential addresses. Same with chloroform.

3 Likes

Wow! You guys make me feel like a caveman lol. That would be incredibly handy to have!

4 Likes

FWIW This kit is the best option I know of.

But it’s $100 for 4 plates. At that price, I’ll just breed with my nose and my endocannabinoid system, and get a lab test on the stabilized result. But if I could get that cost down to a couple bucks I’d TLC plate samples like it was going out of style.

2 Likes

These are my thermal cycles that I got on the cheeeeeeep. Pretty simple, just need to plug them in and make sure they work.

6 Likes

@legalcanada, Thtat’s why I skip 12/12 and go 11/13 for my sativas. I’ve done it from seed as well.

5 Likes

The answer is flip when you feel like it. In my experience as has been said here it won’t go into flower until it’s mature, though this maturity can be heavily dependent on the strain type. For example where I am it’s all but silly to try to grow indica type plants for outdoor ‘winteries’ (it’s never too cold here) as they tend to get to 6 inches high and have a single golf ball sized crown bud and that’s it, wheras sativa tend to get to a couple of feet at least. I am going to try some auto’s this winter to see how they fair.

3 Likes

Same here @legalcanada ,
I have grown plants from 12/12 a couple of times and the plants were on the smallish size and usually take forever to start any flowering, if you’re doing a sea of green this’ll do the job, -( set n forget.) , but the plants will veg for a bit til they get some pre-flowers etc…
I have no plans to do seeds from 12/12 again but try it for your self and your experience could be different … ( just my £0.02p ) …
Gaz

3 Likes

i think i want to do with with clones … flower clones as soon as they’re rooted and only grow the terminal cola on each plant … will near completely eliminate larf from my harvests i figure :smiley:

3 Likes

Northern hemisphere indica have a much shorter flowering time, and tend to start flowering earlier. It makes sense that if you grow from seed 12/12 then the plant will be receiving reduced light during it’s vegetative stage prior to reaching maturity and therefore will be smaller than it could be. The longer flowering times, longer period to reach maturity and less sensitivity to light cycle changes mean that sativa bases strains get more ‘opportunity’ to photosynthesise and tend (all things being equal) to get larger as a result. Over the years I’ve been hybridising to come up with a happy medium suited to my lat/long and the particular environment, and it’s apparent that acclimatisation across generations makes a difference to flowering, surprisingly so IMHO.

4 Likes

Really depends on the strain, but I’ve done 12/12 from seed, successfully. So you can “flip” whenever you want to.

That said, I’ve found that even when I want to run things as quickly as possiblt, it’s still best to give them at least 4 weeks of “straight” veg before flipping.

3 Likes

Hi, excuse my poor english but i like micro growing, and i think to start 12/12 from seed. But i have little info about it, could someone please tell me if a complete guide exist. I’ve konown that atmosphere from old overgrow was pioneering this technique, so would be nice to read also this old topic, if someone have in cache this threads.

1 Like

Do everything the same as usual, except set the light schedule to 12/12 from the start.

That’s basically it.

3 Likes