How to measure out 1 cubic foot of soil

using a 5 gallon bucket ?

1 Like

Good idea. 1 ft^3 is approximately 7.5 US Gallons. So, around 1.5 buckets of soil.

1 Like
2 Likes

Ahhhh… What wonderfull n easy is the Decimal Metric Sistem… 1m3 of volumen = 1000 litres of volumen…

5 Likes

Oh, but we love to make things complicated, :laughing:

2 Likes

We use both systems just to confuse things even more. Speedometer and signs in MPH but you buy fuel by the litre. For everything else it depends on who you are talking too ffs :laughing:

3 Likes

i doubt most people in canada know their height in cm/m or their weight in kg

the coco bags are always in litres and stuff and i have 5gal pots so i always make a mistake trying to calculate how much i need and end up short… last time i still didn’t buy enough the 2nd time i went :angry:

2 Likes

lol It gets even worse when we get international, a uk gallon is 4.54 litres but a us gallon is 3.78 litres. We seem to use metric here when accuracy is important and imperial when we are guessing :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ve always wondered at those UK & US gallons - wtf? How did that happen. We need to get our shit together. :smile:

2 Likes

soil companies tell me 1 5 gallon bucket full of soil plus half of a 5 gallon bucket= 1 cf.

In case all of that wasnt enough, some companies measure soil in dry cubic feet – 6.4285 gallons. Some companies measure soil in liquid cubic feet – 7.4805 gallons.
(Source:

2 Likes

I found out from build a soil to measure out 1 c f of soil fill 1 5 gallon bucket full then fill 5 gallon half full add together= 1 cf.

1 Like

Make a small wooden box 30cm x 30cm x 30cm or 12 inch x 12 inch x 12 inches and fill it Voila :wink:

2 Likes