No till advice

So I want to make a no till soil and need advice.

I was debating on adding biochar any pros or cons to adding bio char?

Other than that i think I should have everything I need from seed to harvest correct? (Please see recipe Below)

should add, substitute, or remove anything in the recipe?

Then I can continue to top dress with just the amendments mixed up every so often in my fabric pots, but once I get my my no til bed set up I shouldn’t have to top dress correct?

This should also contain all of the natural PGRS correct?

50 gallon mix

Base soil
Peat Moss 17 gallon
Compost 17 gallon
Worm Castings 17 gallon
Aeration 5 gallon

Dry Amendments in grams
Insect frass 79.378
Alfalfa Meal 637.875
Andesite 198.45
Azomite 198.45
Basalt 198.45
Fish Bone Meal 1417.5
Glacial Rock Dust 198.45
Greensand 836.325
Gypsum 1134
Kelp Meal 56.7
Langbeinite 14.175
oyster Shell Flour 14.175
Phos Seabird Guano 141.75
Soft Rock Phosphate 2835

7 Likes

What is the aloe vera for? How do you apply it? Composted?

2 Likes

I’m all about thē organics and the no till folks are where I want to be that’s the plan the next big goal as it were but I havē been doing a lot of studying and research and I have to think there is a better way to do it than adding 500 dollars of amendments this isn’t a knock on your recipe and maybe it’s necessary I don’t know enough about it yetI hope you get it setup I will be watching learning have a good one

1 Like

If the amendments weren’t in metric I could give you a better opinion , I don’t have a lot of time try and convert all that.
Your base mix is off though, there is too much organic material and not enough aeration.

6 Likes

i use coconut water for certain things, a coconut is the biggest seed there is, i do believe

3 Likes

Agreed w Joe.
Id go
17 gallon promix/peat
10 gallons compost
7gallons worm poo
17 gallons perlite/rice hulls etc

5 Likes

You can buy it powered mix it into your water.

2 Likes

:rofl: the soil and amendments are about $236 locally sourced for 50 gallons of soil.

1 Like

Thank you. I can edit that. But I can top dress with just the ammendments every few weeks until I get a bed for my tent? The bed will hold 150 gallons +/-. But everything else seems on point? Any advice or personal experience with bio char?

1 Like

No till outdoors should always involve cover crops , I prefer red clover and white mustard along with comfry as a top dressing, build a big worm farm and start saving all veggie kitchen scraps, have fun with it and learn to use what’s around you to make what you need , or at least as much of it as you can.
Composting is amazing , can make incredible stuff really quick when you get good at it and put the worms to work
I’ve seen cover crops used indoors but you need to make sure there short varieties and not going to compete with the current main crop if there is no dormant period to take advantage off.
Also cover crops for livestock rotation and plant farming are a little different so make sure what you read is geared towards what your doing :wink:

5 Likes

I use biochar in the same amount as my ammendments. I would use more, but that stuff is expensive and I havent tried to make my own yet. It gives the microlife a place to live and hide I understand. I’m not sure that you will need to top dress that quick. Maybe when they are getting ready to flower? Mine are in 3 gallon pots, and I planned to let them go all they way, with just a bit of ffj every 2 weeks during flower. KNF inputs can be used with no till as well.

Good Luck!!!

3 Likes

My meat smoker creates alot of bio char , I use nothing but natural cherry and apple wood and it comes out really good, nice and chunky but crumbly and still black.

5 Likes

actually the largest seed in the world is the coco de mer, the seed of a palm tree, and is about twice as big as a coconut

4 Likes

Hmmmmm, pecan biochar? :wink:
I never thought of that man, Thanks! An excuse to make some pulled pork. :yum:

3 Likes

Best way to get your bang for your buck out of that smoking wood and I love a good reason to run the smoker.

3 Likes

Most of the coconut water available on the market today has been heat pasteurized at high temperatures which degrades the nutrients and enzymes. The only coconut water that still contains all the vital nutrients and enzymes is raw unprocessed coconut water.

4 Likes

Does that cook out the steriod i use it for?

2 Likes

I’ll try to look at it later when I can attempt to convert it. We typically measure using cups per cubic ft of soil. I just want to be on the same page so I don’t give you bad advice

3 Likes