How to truly stabilize a strain?

I have heard a lot of different things, a lot of which seem to make sense but, how do u truly stabilize a strain? Is it through cubing? I’ve heard about adding afghan genetics to add hardiness and all that. For example: I have some Lavender x Jack Herer stock. (not bodhi’s) The guy who gave them to me said he had some hermaphroditic traits he suspected were from the lavender was trying to breed out and recommended trying to find a Jack or an Afghan to level it out. What is your ur opinion? Would adding Afghan genetics and then cubing back into itself be a viable option?
Much Love, Artisan

2 Likes

If you just do the math, 7 generations of inbreeding will result in almost 100% purity of genetics.

This experiment comes to mind.

8 Likes

Thank u, very informative! Would u recommend Afghan to rid the hermaphroditism? Or possibly have any recommendations?

2 Likes

Not necessarily. I think it is a generally agreed that hermaphroditism is less common and not prevalent in the species. Just breed away from it by selecting out anything that hermies. They will pop up from time to time. I think that is a survival thing.

2 Likes

That makes sense, thank u for ur help 99

2 Likes

I hope others will chime in. When there is consensus, there is more certainty of facts.

Here’s a couple of heavy hitters going at it. I’m following along, of course.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I have read this quite a few times, that’s where my inspiration actually comes from. Great minds think alike!

2 Likes

I think and just my opinion, that with any good/ bad trait it would be better to breed to/away from it. If you add another strain, it becomes a new cross. Then further breeding to find the desired traits before the cross.

2 Likes

That’s kinda what I thought with adding the Afghan to the mix as well. Very good answers here

1 Like