Best ways to dry and cure

Wot sort of temp should I be lookinf at wen buds r in jars I have a,small hygrometer inside the jars reading between 19 -21 degrees with a rh of 50 -55 is that about right

Those would be ready to close up for a couple of weeks. Especially if you trust your hygrometer in the jar. There would be no need to open and burp unless it hit 65% or 70% humidity.
Edit: Temperature is fine also. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply I have been burping twice a day since 3 days in think I will leave for a few days then open to check the smell

1 Like

I agree with any of the above methods except one step. Hang to dry untill the stem Cracks, not snap.
If it snaps in two you’ve waited too long.
@ryasco is dead on about it getting too dry!
There has to be some moisture left for microbial activity to further break down chlorophyll and sugars that burn harsh, and give off wet hay scent.
Burping the jars in my experience evens out humidity but also allows the off gas of ammonias and ethylenes.
Also gives the microbes fresh oxygen to get back to work.

5 Likes

Anyone tried these yet? :slight_smile: I will buy some to try for my next harvest. It should keep your buds at the Best humidity as possible.

One 8 gram pack should be used for about 20g of buds acording to manufacture. But who knows :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep, and there’s a thread (not too long) specifically about humidity packs, too.

From my brief experience, they seem to work pretty well for bringing humidity back up if needed, don’t seem to have a detrimental impact on potency, but they seem to have some impact on smell (and maybe flavor).

I don’t think I’ll use them going forward, unless I accidentally dry out some buds way too much before jarring – but even then, I’d be inclined to remove them from the jars once the curing process slows down.

2 Likes

I wet trim and hang dry whole branches. When the branches bend but you can hear cracking (but no actual cracking of the stem) and the outside of the buds feel crispy, then I get my food grade 5 gallon buckets with twist of gamma lids and trim the buds off the stems. I use 3 62% 67 gram bovedas per 5 gallon bucket. I use a small digital hygrometer made for a reptile tank to monitor things. I seal the bucket for about a day and then check in it. In about a day, day and a half the moisture should have spread from the stems and back into the buds to where there is no longer any crispness. At this point the humidity is probably higher than the 62% so I’ll leave it open for a couple hours and gently turn the buds over. I’ll leave it open until there is just a slight crispness on the outside of the buds again, and then seal it up. I repeat this basic process until it holds right around 62% humidity. Then they’re done.

5 Likes

those things take up to 72 hours (or more?) to begin regulating the humidity so if you are opening the container frequently they won’t work. i also noticed a change in smell and flavor using integra boost packs. i wouldn’t use them for drying/curing and i tried using them for slightly overdried cannabis, using a larger than suggested pack and once w/ suggested size, and left it completely sealed for 2 weeks and noticed no appreciable difference. the smell i noticed after a couple days, before sealing up.

1 Like

I ordered some of these yesterday

1 Like

They don’t take 72 hours to regulate humidity. Also the more you use, the better they work. That’s why I use 3 for the same amount they recommend one for. I have not noticed any loss in small, or bag appeal.

1 Like

After reading this i remembered one of my Z6 jars has a 62% boveda pack. Figured I should sample compared to the others I have treated in the conventional manner.

The boveda buds are super sticky. Clumping together in the jar even. The sweet smell that was there upon sealing the jars is there but is muted now. The buds are too wet to smoothly burn and the flavor is of fresh buds instead of one month cured buds…

Not a fan.

I could see these being very useful in a pinch though.

Stay hazed
Jake

5 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks humidity packs rob terpenes! Over dried herb? Just add a couple fan leaves to the jar with a hygrometer until 62% RH.

7 Likes

@Blowingupjake perhaps the 55 or 58% would better serve your strain.

3 Likes

I’d use the bovedas to make over dry buds more palatable for sure.
I’m a dry trim kinda guy and tend to cure my Large buds with a moisture similar to pipe tobacco.
Burns slow, keeps a cherry, lots of flavor.
My mids get a bit drier for bongs and steam rollers with that white ash quick burn,
larf gets the crispy dugout grade treatment.

5 Likes

One of my jars is starting to get the skunk smell bk but the other one is not tbh I can’t really say wit it smells like but it isn’t skunk#1 that’s for sure gonna try smoke a joint of it tomorrow see wot it’s like

i’ve heard from several places it will take around 72 hours to reach target humidity. in this test both packs caused a spike in humidity in the 1st day up to 80% and slowly brought them back down. it took about 3 days to reach 62% for boveda and 1 day longer for integra boost. integra boosts take a bit longer to work but also last longer. i’ve never used boveda, integra boost definitely added an odd smell for me. i believe they work differently, one being a gel and the other not? not sure

this test uses integra boost to raise the humidity in 1 jar and lower the humidity in a 2nd jar, and both jars take almost 96 hours to reach 62% humidity.

2 Likes

More packs regulate humidity more easily.

Right guys my buds have been curing for ten days now burping jars every other day smell has improved and temp is 19 and RH is 62 % that’s with using a boveda pack so my question is should I seal jars and not burp anymore??

3 Likes

These buds should be done after hanging dry and then burped in a jar for 10 days.

Sealing now would probably be OK!

Vacuum Seal is always a nice touch.

2 Likes

Should I remove the boveda pack and the just seal and leave alone in cool dark place?