I believe we have been using the term ‘phenotype’ wrong for decades

@G-paS I think hes talking about the old wife’s tale about that weed smells like hay because the chlorophyll hasn’t broke down correctly. Which is not the case. Every plant on the planet will start to smell like hay if it’s stored at a high humidity for awhile. The hay smell itself is for a fungi(or a bacteria, dont remember the specifics).

Pz :v:t2:

6 Likes

Just a note on that phylos biosience paragraph - it is incorrect.

A cross involving two distinctly different homozygous parents results in an F1 generation that is heterozygous*, not homozygous. The terms heterozygous and highly variable are not synonymous. In fact most F1 achieve homogeneous condition via heterozygosity.

Example: AAbbccDDEE x aaBBCCddee = AaBbCcDdEe. The parents are homozygous, yet distinctly different, giving rise to an F1 that is heterozygous, and homogeneous.

23 Likes

Are you the real Tom Hill?

Good job of preservation man!!!

A pleasure speaking with you.

4 Likes

Yes, hello neighbor from across the Eel, nice to meet you. Many thanks for the kind words.

6 Likes

Next year I will go to the Eel river, to Covelo, if I can work in black… Now I am in Spain, many years ago Raco from Cannabiscafe sent me some seeds of his genetics. It was a cross with a deep chunk… Well, greetings, master!

5 Likes

Thank you, Tom! That makes a lot of sense when you give an example like that

5 Likes

It’s kinda the age old nature vs nurture question. Most geneticists will rightfully argue genetics > environment. For after all, it is genotype that determines environmental thresholds/triggers in the first place. However, phenotype is the correct word as used by the community. If you were to take 6 elite phenotypes self them and rank them according to the performance of their offspring, then you are evaluating their genotype.

16 Likes

Being a hay farmer I have a different take. Hay smells like hay when it is dried without high humidity. High humidity is the death of hay and leads to mold/fungi/bacteria. That smell is not the smell of properly cured Hay. The smell I comment on when I sniff my jars is the smell of properly cured hay.

When I get the other non hay smells it is when I have the high humidity of 63% So not really and old wife’s tale but high tech hay farming. :laughing:

:green_heart: :seedling:

10 Likes

Well, the good cured hay smell is not the smell people usually refer to when they say that weed smell like hay. They refer to the badly cured hay, where the middle of the stack is still moist and bacteria and fungi start to feast on it.

I know the smell you are talking about, it’s lovely. :heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

When I’ve heard the term or used it myself it was not what you describe but rather to say it smelled like fresh hay, cardboard , bland non cannabis plant smell.
Now you can certainly mess up some good weed by drying to fast or for to long, to much humidity, sealed up to soon etc etc but most of the boring bland hay strains are just lacking terps or harvested at the wrong time.I’ve grown plants from seed that had absolutely no smell but would get you high , tasted like smoking the leaf of a tree or some dry grass clippings.

5 Likes

Yeah, i totally agree. But that is the lack of terps. Dried plant material will smell like dried plant material. Still not a problem with chlorophyll that most sites state it is. Hay doesn’t smell like hay because of the chlorophyll…
If your buds smell like a mix of hay/wet grass/wet dog, it’s because of fungi. You have had humidity problems during the cure, what most people with this problem doesn’t account for are air movement in the space and the temps in the space. They probably have curing buds and one day something shifts in the humidity and temps and everything does sideways. All I’m saying is that this problem, which is written about all over the Internet is not because of chlorophyll. Thats all I’m saying :grin:

I’m just saying clean hay that does not have any mold has a certain smell and weed can smell like that from improper drying or growing methods and that is what a lot of people are referring to not a moldy or wet dog smell. The chlorophyll explanation is normally referring to a fresh hay smell not what you describe. It may or may not be related to chlorophyll but it’s something entirely different then what you are describing.
The moldy, damp towel smell that comes from humidity is most likely aspergillus of some type, which can be rather unhealthy and I’ve seen a lot of store bought weed that smells of it.

3 Likes

Ok, you had to make me look it up. The smell of hay from hay is not the grass itself, but the smell of specific strain of micro organisms. These micro organisms are not dangerous and will die at lower humidity, but they will still smell.

So moving over to weed, weed have the same interaction with these micro organisms and if you dry to quick they die off and itll smell like hay and of you dry to slow fungi(not mold mold, fungi) will start to spread its mycelia which also have this smell, the mycelia and the micro organisms have an symbiotic relationship to help break down plant materials which in return increase the population of the micro organisms. If the weed is too wet these strains of micro organisms and the fungi die off, giving off hay smell while new more aggressive fungi like mold start it’s habitat and this is when the smell i was talking about is appearing.

So in conclusion, when weed have little terps these micro organisms will be pretty much the only smell around and that’s why weed can have a clean hay smell. This smell will go away, it’s just a matter of time and how much weed you have. Same with actual hay.

Hope this gave you some understanding in the world of micro biologi :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Pz growmie :v:t2:

3 Likes

Two “true breeding” homozygous parental plants crossed together will result in F1 offspring that are heterozygous, with a heterozygous genotype, as well as a dominant phenotype, not recessive.

F2 gives way to more diverse plant variation. There are nine different genotypes found in F2, along with heterozygous and homozygous offspring. F2 is also the first cross in a IBL line.

Instead of phenotype, it should be variation, and cultivar is the clone.

1 Like

Funny I found this recently and your comment made me think about it and LOL. I agree with you.

2022-10-09 09_28_32-Window

9 Likes

I understand microbiology pretty well as it was a required course for the degrees I have along with organic chemistry , chemistry , biology and several other related courses.
I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to convey in regards to the type of smell myself and others are describing but it’s realy no big deal, the smell I’m describing is more likely caused by a green leaf volatile compound that is much more prevalent under certain conditions.

5 Likes

Maybe stones will be thrown at me now, but haze smells like hay and if your haze doesn’t smell like hay, it probably isn’t haze. Sorry :dog:
During the lockdown, I only had unlimited access to haze and amnesia variations. And I’m so tired of this taste and smell that the smell is enough for me to understand that there is something from haze in this. But maybe I’m just wrong and Europe is flooded with shit instead of haze

1 Like

Since purple buds which lack large amount of chlorophyll also can smell like hay, it doesnt have anything todo with the plant being green, its because its a organic plant which have died and its nature’s way of start decomposing organic material. The compound is volatile.

@Boltcutter all hazes ive smoke either smell like sandalwood or incense. Never any hay smell. These are real hazes from sources with high degree of provenance.

2 Likes

Listen I’m not going to continually argue with you about what I’m smelling when you are not here in person to even know for sure what smell I’m describing. I understand that the plant being green has nothing to do with what you are talking about but you seem un able to grasp the concept that I’m describing something different. I’m very capable of telling the difference between standard plant smells and ones associated with the process of decay and or improper storage methods that can result in a wide range of problems.
Also your purple weed does not lack chlorophyll but rather the color green is masked by the darker purple color. Btw chlorophil in concentrated form actually smells minty not like hay but anyways
You have no idea what I’m describing and to insist you do with out even being present is not how science works. What you call hay smell and what I call hay smell are obviously two different things but you can’t seem to let it go. I’ve been growing for well over 20 years and assure you I know the difference between these things. What I’m describing is a genetic trait that causes a lack of terpene production resulting in a plant that tastes like green plant not mold , not v.o.c’s not mildew nor any of the other things you are so confident it is. I’m talking plants that smell like this while growing , when drying and when cured properly. I’m not sure why you do not understand or are not willing to accept that we are describing different things but I’ve grown tired of responding to your assumptions
We are not talking about the same things and you can either except that or continue to try and explain how you know what I’m smelling with out smelling it your self but I have better things to do.
Speaking of hay time to feed the livestock and get off the net.

6 Likes

Dude, im sorry if you feel that I don’t listen to you. I do. I just wanted to be clear about the hay smell that you can cure away, isn’t from chlorophyll. Sry! :v:t2:

You are :100: correct about that plant material lacking terps will smell like plant material. I’m not arguing with you about that either.

Yes, purple plants do have chlorophyll but in lower concentrations. When cannabis mature, the production of chlorophyll is reduces and you get your awesome colors. Purple weed have a higher reduction rate then “green” cannabis. This is why I said that. If the wife’s tale would be true, green cannabis would smell alot more like hay then purple flowers. This is not me arguing, I just want to explain myself.

Wasn’t my intention of making you frustrated or anything. :pray:t2:

5 Likes