I believe we have been using the term ‘phenotype’ wrong for decades

No worries the internet is a great place for communication difficulties, and you are definitely right that a lot of the smell people are dealing with is mold or organic material not being handled correctly , chlorophyll dosent have much of a smell at all unless it’s in concentrated quantities in a lab setting and then it’s minty if anything.

7 Likes

Oh the joy of a good semantic discussion…

Phenohunt is grower slang derived from the improper understanding of what a phenotype actually is. Really it should be called Genohunting as we are looking for specific genetic expressions more then how those genes express in a given environment. Although even that’s not really accurate as we aren’t looking at the gene’s when growing seed; we’re looking at the phenotype expressed in our grow and trying to match it to descriptions of phenotypes in other environments with unknown differences affecting how the genotype expresses itself to try and find a similar genotype as others. Which kinda illustrates how ridiculous it all is before considering the high phenotypic plasticity cannabis shows and how much the plants change appearance based on the environment they’re grown in.

An interesting term I came across reading Handbook of Cannabis Production Indoors when it discusses the proper terminology is 'biotype" which describes a group of individuals with a similar genotype that express similarly under a given set of conditions. It’s really more accurate then cultivar (which is legally defined and cannabis definitely doesn’t meet the criteria for as the phylos post about F1’s touches on), variety, phenotype, genotype or any other commonly used terms. Plus biohunting sounds bad ass… Like you’re a cyborg terminator tracking down the last pesky fleshbags getting in the way of the omnipotent algorithm… I swear I haven’t spent hours thinking about this obsessively, really, it just popped into my head out of no where…

10 Likes

Glad someone finds my endless ramblings helpful lol.

2 Likes

There was definitely a typo in the phylos post as it should have said that a cross of two homozygous parents results in a heterozygous offspring, not a homozygous one. They seem to specifically be talking about about F1 hybrid vigour which results from crossing two distinct homozygous/inbred lines to create unique seeds with more vigorous growth then either parent. Which as they said isn’t the case generally with pot as we’re dealing with heterozygous plants crossed generation after generation more often then not. With prohibition there’s an added distortion as breeders haven’t been able to work with large selection pools or post selection harvest over time collecting seeds from successive open pollinations to increase get closer to establishing the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. Which makes the accomplishments of under ground breeders and especially preservation work of people like yourself all the more impressive and valuable.

6 Likes

We called it mapping when we talked about looking through seeds to find out what they contained and if we could find what we where searching for. Our colleagues and professors also called it mapping. Never read it in a text book though, so I don’t know if it’s a general term for doing it.

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

Mapping would be an equally logical way to express searching through the genepool to see how it expresses, especially as I think pot is best describe as one variety with many subpopulations expressing specific traits more regularly instead of thinking about it as traditional seed lines that are stable for the traits they’ve been selected for.

Now whether as a community pot growers will shift their language to bring it inline with proper botany is another question entirely. Using the wrong terms is kinda what defines pot growers; calyxs are properly called perigonal bracts as the callus is a thin layer of cells on the embryo, calling stigma’s pistils which is actually the entire female flower of ova and fused stigma/style, etc. There is a deeply entrenched pot growing culture that actively teaches people the wrong botanical terms and erroneous concepts; whether that can be changed is anyone’s guess but the danger is expanding the divide between pot growers and the emerging science around growing pot which is often challenging long held beliefs. Like the idea of flushing for example…

6 Likes

Phenotype literally means a genetic response to an environmental factor. You’re right, a true “pheno hunt” would be taking cuttings from the same mother plant and putting them all in different environments.

2 Likes

Well if HH and Hh look exactly alike then they are the same phenotypically but have different geno types? One homozygous the other heterozygous no?

Hybrid is what rubs me the wrong way. At what point is it considered hybrid? 20% 30% mixed genes what is the cutt off?

5 Likes

I was actually part of a project like that between several people with bubba kush doing exactly that and we found that the higher the elevation the better it seemed to come out looks and flavor wise to a certain limit where the buds would actually get more fluffy then desired and the plants would stretch more then normal.
Elevation plays a huge role in plant expressions , not just with cannabis but with many other species you will find larger fatter leaves the lower down you go along with many other differences.
Some high elevation sativas for example would realy prefer to be grown up high in the mtns and not at the lower elevations.

7 Likes

Hh will always have additive and codominant trait drug type cannabis is very complex.

6 Likes

This was actually a beautiful question. Yes two genotypes can give same phenotype just as one genotype can give several phenotype.

6 Likes

Backing up to phylos, we need stop talking like that. It’s not reality. We do not have homozygous, heterozygous, male, or female in regards to a population. What we have is strongly homozygous, heterozygous, male, and female. These things are not now nor have they ever been absolute. They are to be measured on a scale, always.

7 Likes

The distinction between phenotype and genotype is simple.
A phenotype is an observed characteristic, something that is easily observable, like blonde hair.
A genotype on the other hand is something that is not easily observable like if someone is big boned :wink:. The characteristics are in the genes just not necessarily expressed in an observable way.
It is again simple to explain why breeders use the term pheno instead of geno as the “phenotypic traits” are what one typically observes growing cannabis (purple buds for instance).

:grinning:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

I afforded them a possible typo until I read the words “heterozygous (variable)”. At that point it is clear to me a madman is driving the bus and his financiers are unaware.

1 Like

I think that by describing plants base on pheno is acceptable because that is what we observe. Now geneticists may have a different opinion, but basically grouping and segregating based on “pheno” is acceptable and useful.

2 Likes

Yes this is exactly correct and no we don’t have a different opinion :joy: why oh why do stoners try to change all plant science that came before them I will never understand. Bx ix phenom jusus Christ monkey balls. Stop that.

7 Likes

Any plant you have ever seen is a phenotype, it is a product of genetics and environment. These are long used words in all of plant breeding. Wtf purpose is served by dismantling that what is in place since time immemorial? Zero, that’s what exactly zero.

8 Likes

Is it possible that people are trying to feel important? Pat their own ass so to speak? It’s all this new age shit really, people have been growing cannabis for millenia…it’s basically all been done before. Asians for instance were using colloidal silver thousands of year ago when they were breeding cannabis.

But again it’s new agers…they don’t remember or weren’t alive before THC got scheduled…oh the DELICIOUS baked canna goods we used have :wink::wink::sunglasses:.

3 Likes

I just don’t get it. What, pheno hunt is not fancy enough for folk? Ok, you are actually into phenotypic evaluation of a particular seedlots, feel better?

6 Likes

Lol…brings me back to the good old day when most stuff were landraces.

It’s truly something special when you find that special pheno. Like OMG! what’s this!!! Holy crap here are 2 more plants like this!!! Lol, man THAT is fun stuff!

2 Likes