I Fought Botrytis (and got my ass kicked!)

Two pot plants, both alike in dignity,
In fair Overgrow, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where uncivil Fungus makes grower hands unclean.
From forth the fatal spores of this hated foe
A pair of star-cross’d lovers lose their lives
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their growers’ strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark’d love,
And the continuance of their growers’ rage,
Which, but their children’s end, nought could remove,
Is now this posting’s traffic of our stage;
(with apologies to The Bard)

After a successful harvest last May I ended up with two aging mother plants that I transplanted to large pots of supersoil and moved outside to ride out their last months.

They flourished despite my neglect and by early September were nearing harvest. Then the invisible but pervasive silent bringer of CannaDeath spewed its evil poison in the winds. Botrytis cinerea is a fungal pathogen with a passion for murdering cannabis.

Before The Storm ( Left: Frankenstein Clone, Right: Frankie’s Daughter Hilda)

Here’s how Botrytis (Bud Rod) announces its arrival. The light tan discoloration is emerging from deep in the bud where the fungus is already well established.

The next stage is pretty grisly. Here’s a slideshow you never want to own!

“Botrytis Blossom”

The Counter Attack
I thought I was well equipped to at least hold the line against this stealthy foe, but my best efforts ultimately failed. The colored plant tags in the pics below indicate different Botrytis “Vaccines” that I applied to infected sites seeking salvation.

I was too bummed to keep good notes on everything I tried, but here’s a summary:

• Hypochlorus Acid (fogger saturation daily, multiple dilutions, 25% was best)
  • Alcohol, 50/50% Isopropyl
  • Hydrogen Peroxide (multiple dilutions)
  • Safers Garden Fungicide (elemental sulfur)
  • Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide (bacillus)

This group all seemed to kill Botrytis infestations, but nothing stopped new attacks wafting in on the next breeze. At concentrations that quickly killed the fungus the top three on the list also burned healthy foliage in the sprayed area.

And, in hopeless desperation, the Hail Marys:

• BT
  • Permethrin
  • MTA One-n-Done

These three ensured that the plants were at least De-bugged. When the plants finally died, there wasn’t a living pest in the vicinity.

The bitter End
It came down to a daily struggle with an inevitable ending. I saw what was coming but kept at it out of curiosity, sort of a stoner Science Fair Project. Lol.

Here’s a ragged victim on Judgement Day.

See, what a scourge is laid upon your garden,
That heaven finds means to kill your joys with spores.
And I for winking at these discords too
Have lost a brace of pot plants: all are punish’d.

Respectfully Submitted,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

29 Likes

Stand not amazed. The rot will doom thee death
If thou art infected. Hence, botrytis, be gone, away!

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Damn ! Fighting a losing battle always sucks :pensive:

4 Likes

“Press F to pay respect”
Brother I fought with botrytis and cane to conclusion in my area It Is Better to grow a type of Bud that is very hard for the rot to germinate within.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that @GrouchyOldMan , what a shame.

5 Likes

its not you its the genetics , they cant handle you local enviorment , Are you near coast or humid enviorment ,
Could be physarum also . it can cause botrytis

4 Likes

For me keeping the soil dry as possible in the final weeks has the best effect on new rot.

I always find the wet soil plants show rot first and foremost.

Another option is phosphite…aka Pure flowers.
A little known fact is…Phosphite has anti-fungal properties but is not really a pesticide.

If you sell it as anti fungal then it must be labeled as a pesticide.
If you do not claim those effects it can be sold as a fert, not a pesticide.
Also, this product will help things frost up a bit at the same time.
The P provided is not readily available, so consider that when you use it.
http://www.ez-gro.com/product/pure-flowers-0-30-20/

Also Giant Knotweed ( Reynoutria sachalinensis ) AKA regalia is another option.

3 Likes

You put up a good fight @GrouchyOldMan Good advice from others as well. I will also add to the list is selecting a spot to grow them where you get the earliest possible sunlight. The quicker they can dry off from dew or rain the better.

4 Likes

Also, sometimes it’s just a terrible year for mold. For me this is definitely one of those years.

3 Likes

As a prevention method.
When it rains I also take a leaf blower to my plants if it is not sunny out, sometimes even when it is sunny if the humidity is still high.
Plants may look dry but in the buds and deep inside the plant moisture still hides for quite a while.

3 Likes

You are not alone, 0utdoor was brutal here this year with the constant rain. The trichomes were all extremely dark and beat up looking. Had a bit of bud rot also, doh.

2 Likes

Hey Guys…

Let’s make this an opportunity to list the Most Botrytis-Resistant strains that you have personally grown?

List Em, Let’s get your knowledge on OG record.
-Grouchy

4 Likes

Unfortunately,the ones I know are F1 I made,so not avaible to all of you.Also some crosses that @repins12 gifted me.
But I can tell you it’s the sativa Bud structure that helps the most:the bud Is not too compact and doesn’t let Rh between the tissues rise a lot,lets air pass and lowers the Botrytis germination rateo

2 Likes

Which ones @Andrexl? I was fortunate to have Gary send me a bunch of his greatest hits! I’m a total @repins12 fanboy. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Redberrycheesebake I think It Is called,also redhourglass,do you have those?

2 Likes

I’ll look, don’t think so.

I bet Gary is getting his share of foggy 100% humidity days this Fall. It has been brutal here.

2 Likes

Pm me if you want some infos of my F1
@GrouchyOldMan

Sorry to hear about that. I have so many fungus gnats in my aloe plants soil that bitch drinks hydrogen peroxide straight no dilution and i swear she loves it. but man sorry about the bud rot.

1 Like