I have a question concerning our U.S. national parks

Is it true that all national parks and federal land are held in trust for all Americans?

1 Like
2 Likes

@DougDawson
Thanks for that, but I have been wading through all kinds of documents that just beat around the bush.
I scanned the doc you provided, but I found nothing on ownership in there.
Maybe I missed it, may have to read it again.
Been reading for a while and really have found nothing conclusive as of yet.
But thanks again for the link.

I found no straight answers who owns the national parks?
Sure the department of interior manages things.

All of my research seems to point to the fact…all national parks and federal land are held in trust for all Americans?
Someone said the federal government is not supposed to own land.

Myself, I dunno so I figure I would bring it up for discussion. :thinking:

4 Likes

If you’ve ever asked a ranger, at Yellowstone for example, can I go over there? Response will be it’s your park. Can I climb up that tree? It’s your park.

Within limitations, of course. They aren’t going to let you trash the place, cause damage, or interfere with other visitors. An example would be damaging sensitive natural features. That will get you in trouble since it’s not you that owns it, instead it’s everyone (a trust). Can I swim in that Caldera? No, are you insane? :laughing:

The parks are publically owned lands (or otherwise) that are managed by the US government. That is, owned by all citizens. Taxes or fees provide for the infrastructure and management of the parks. Though, a lot of things are technically owned by the public.

I’m not certain about Acadia, though. I thought there was something odd about that one.

8 Likes

Give this one a read man. Here is a piece of the below link.
" 1. OWNERSHIP.

All federal public lands are owned by U.S. taxpayers whose money goes toward maintaining national parks, forests, wilderness areas, wild rivers, and scenic rivers. That means that every person has a right to be there, and a say in how those lands can be used.

State parks are controlled by state governments and parks are required to generate funding. Residents of other states don’t get a say in how these lands are managed, and those that do have a say have less control than they would over federal public lands."

8 Likes

Very interesting that you had mentioned Yellowstone.
This is kinda the reason for my question…

If it is true…

How is it possible to sell Yellowstone National Park to ExxonMobil AKA Black Rock ect.
Ok so it is technically a lease but they have full control of the park.
The park will be renamed from Yellowstone National Park to Yellowstone National Resource .

Well that is my understanding anyhow. :yum:

So this was bad info, I was gonna delete it but left it for relevance.
@MantisTobogganMD thanks for the heads up!

4 Likes

while national parks and forests cannot be sold without taxpayer approval.

Thanks bro! :star_struck:
Apparently they can be leased and raped for 100 years though…WTF? :grimacing:
I don’t think I was asked about yellowstone…LOL :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The legislative branch of dotGov decides matters in the interest of the public by writing law. The law is then interpreted by the executive branch and the associated agencies to create policy. The national park service is an executive branch agency, for example. So, yeah. Use your imagination there.

As far as what lands were considered up for lease, I don’t really know. I’d imagine that there are specific limitations associated. But, I haven’t kept up with that.

2 Likes

Were you folks aware that Exxon is being allowed to do whatever it wants with Yellowstone park.
I mean Yellowstone National Resource :shushing_face:
They own all mineral rights for 99 years.

I personally think they will not have the environment as a priority.

Anyone other than me think this was a foolish move?

3 Likes

Did you just read an old April fools article?

4 Likes

Well that is not where I was getting the info from, but it seems google gives you results from there…LOL
So I will need to look into this better…Thanks :relaxed:

2 Likes

"## So, Who Owns Canada?

The land of Canada is solely owned by Queen Elizabeth II who is also the head of state. Only 9.7% of the total land is privately owned while the rest is Crown Land. The land is administered on behalf of the Crown by various agencies or departments of the government of Canada. The Canadian Act has no provision for any Canadian to own physical land in Canada. Canadians can only own an interest in an estate. Of the land owned by the Queen, 50% is administered by the provincial governments and the rest by the federal government. The Crown Land administered by the federal and provincial governments can be defined as land not assigned in freehold tenure. The land in Canada is mainly used as national parks, forests, private homes, and agriculture."

4 Likes

How I got lost.
I was reading about this…

The president today issued an executive order that protects public lands by temporarily pausing leases, including nearby national parks, to oil and gas corporations. For the last four years, we’ve watched a disastrous energy program and its destructive impacts to our public lands, national parks and waters across the western United States.

So then I typed into google what oil companies have mineral rights to our national parks.

That shit popped up as googles answer, that is what I get for trusting google…LOL :laughing:

Those fucks do have mineral rights on our national parks.
Here is a better source. :smiley:

Hey I was kinda right…LOL
Yellowstone National Park announced that it is renaming one of its mountains

1 Like

So I have a couple of question concerning the companies leasing our national parks.

Who gets the money that is paid for the lease?

Does that money belong to the American citizens?

What happens if environmental cleanup is needed?

3 Likes

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/privatization-coming-to-national-parks-what-does-that-mean

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-115hhrg31588/html/CHRG-115hhrg31588.htm

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1671/do-business-with-us.htm

https://forum.savingplaces.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=98fd09ff-b112-ec05-35ad-21eca5f99fc2

2 Likes

Thank you for the links @buzzmobile

Maybe I scanned over it, but after a few hours of reading, I did not see anything about

I did read a bunch about maintenance but nothing about who pays for any environmental damage.

Did you find anything helpful concerning these topics in that reading material, I was not able to.
It was a lot to read and I did skim some of it.

One of the links requires a subscription and on other pages some of the documents are not searchable …for me anyhow.

You may just want to call in and ask man. Might be easier to find your answers.

3 Likes

Well that would defeat the purpose of the discussion, I feel anyhow…
The purpose of the thread was not just fact finding, it was to discuss the details of what is our national parks.

If I only wanted the facts of the matter a phone call may be the best solution.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. You have questions, why not get the answers from those who have them and then discuss?

3 Likes

Personally, I am not a big fan of calling the Govt. and asking questions.
The govt. is not real good at giving straight to the point answers, so there is that…
Also
I am not a big fan of talking on the phone in the first place.
And all that waiting on the phone, I really hate the phone prompts these days too.
Push pound if you want a real person…LOL

Also I would like to have an open discussion on this topic.
If I were to call get all the facts post em up…what would we talk about?
Besides that, the Govt. hotline would most likely yield a link to their website anyway.

1 Like