I have a question concerning our U.S. national parks

Use the link above which contains the links below to get started. Read not scan the links below.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title54-section306121&num=0&edition=prelim

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title54/subtitle1/divisionA/chapter1021&edition=prelim

Take your time.

Also I thought every US citizen would like to know these questions not just me.
Maybe I am wrong here…
I hope I am not the only one concerned for our national parks.

Is anyone else concerned about the current state and future of our national parks?

Not what I call easy reading. :woozy_face:
I may need to hire a lawyer…
Maybe I should call them @DougDawson …LOL

1 Like

I think it said whatever agency that leased it out is the one that gets the money in order to continue keeping the park maintained. Any excess goes to the US Treasury.

3 Likes

Lol, don’t take my suggestion the wrong way. You revived this thread after 3 weeks with 3 specific questions. Then said you had been reading a few hours. I was just suggesting what could be a quicker path to the knowledge you seek. That does not negate your discussion, just gives you facts to discuss. Anyway it was just a suggestion and ignoring it is totally cool if you don’t like the idea.

2 Likes

That is what I read, it goes into a special account in the treasury.
I wonder what it is used for?

Does it go to pay for a 10,000 toilet seat?

Your questions are valid, but their coming off as politically based. Not that i disagree with your concerns, or the potential politically based actions that are being done.

Get the answers you seek, i’d be interested in the answers that you find. However, i dont think the powers that be here will allow a politically charged discussion on the matter… and you know as well as i do that it’s all big business and politically motivated.

Powder keg topic in my eyes.

You can start by calling Nat’l and regional offices of the NPS.

Contact Information: Mailing Addresses & Phone Numbers (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

3 Likes

It was a valid statement and a good suggestion.
I really do hate the phone…

And I feel you would be right, it probably would be a faster route.
It was a good suggestion, just not something I like to do.

I hope I did not come across, as thanks but no thanks…internet chat can seem very cold. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

No worries man, just wanted to make sure my suggestion was not taken in the wrong way :v:

1 Like

See that where it doesn’t make sense to me, a forest is self sustaining. It shouldn’t need any money to be kept maintained - all people need to just stay away and leave the land alone.

1 Like

I just want to know if it is cool to get high at national Parks now that Biden pardoned all fed simple possession? If so let’s do an og national park tour

2 Likes

Ha, that sounds like fun…LOL
Here is what it would look like.…I posted it in the other thread too

I half thought of attempting it…LOL
But when I asked myself would they really be able to answer the questions…
I think the response would be…Leave your name and number and someone will get back to ya real soon.

Give er a shot, maybe I am wrong???
Dunno

2 Likes

I just asked chat gp if national parks can be used as collateral for our national debt.
This was the response I got.

It is possible that land owned by the federal government may also be considered for use as collateral, depending on various factors, including the type of land and its value.

So my question to the people is…
Is it possible for China call in our national debt and become the new owners of our national parks?

I was told this could happen more than 30 years ago and I thought that is just crazy and could never happen back then…
But now I am wondering could this sorta thing really happen.
Are there things in place to prevent this from happening?

1 Like

Short answer: yes. Very possible.

2 Likes

As far as I know, China invests in US national debt in the form of Treasury bonds. They’re considered securities, and can be sold on secondary markets or redeemed with the US government at their maturity date. I don’t think they’re anything to do with national parks. It seems like a bit of a ridiculous notion… when the US is running out of money, it prints more and kicks the can down the road, devaluing the currency but keeping the status quo going. I guess in theory if the next debt ceiling Kabuki theatre isn’t resolved (if the far right sweeps) the government could start liquidating national parks to pay its bills, but it seems unlikely. Congress would have to write laws specifically authorizing it, as far as I know. Currently the GSA is in charge of distributing excess federal real estate, and they’re authorized to sell or give it away to states and local governments, as well as some public facilities. Without authorization to do more, they can’t. So yes, possible in theory. Unlikely, but technically possible.

4 Likes

Thanks @Cormoran

Or maybe some kinda emergency economic recovery act. :thinking:
I guess this is the real question.
So what will happen to our national parks if we default on our debt to China?
If it is even possible they could take ownership then what a crime that is.

Can you imagine if china was raping our national parks of all their resources leaving the pollution behind?

Remember what seems totally crazy one day seems very likely another.
This world is not as predictable as it once was.

I can not help but wonder what other evil things could happen to us if china takes ownership of our national parks.

I bet they are considered very very valuable to those interested in the mineral and water rights there.

People need to leave the animals alone at the park. The risks and just plain dumb ass ignorant behavior. Some people are unreal these people must have grown up in a closet.

1 Like

Can china force a deal, like demand repayment now?
I really don’t know how the whole thing works.

I said on another forum that when you owe someone here in Detroit they come and take your shit.
Another member stated it does not work that way and explaind that wall street was tied in and bla bla bla.
I know little about wall street, so I did not understand much.
I told him how it works on the streets and I said it can’t be much different on a larger scale.
It really boils down to leverage and extorsion… :joy:

At least in the normal course of things, the US can’t default on its debt to just China. It’s either a default or not. In terms of financial markets, a US default will cause the price of treasuries to crash because confidence in the government’s ability to pay its bills is lost, so holders might sell their treasuries to the highest bidder in the hope of getting something rather than nothing. On the other hand, a default isn’t necessarily permanent either. It just means the government missed one set of monthly payments. My guess would be that China wouldn’t sell that much of its pile of treasuries because they’d lose too much on panic-selling, and would just wait for our political situation to stabilize while using the opportunity to spread fear about the US government’s abilities to pay its debts. They’re long-term thinkers. That fear is starting to cause other governments to diversify their reserve assets; the fewer use a reserve asset, the less it’s actually a reserve asset. The other side of the coin, pun intended, is that there’s no real alternative for nations other than gold. Bitcoin is nowhere near proven enough to actually function as a reserve asset for the world, and the US dollar is the strongest and most reliable currency even if it’s worrisome that our debt payments are higher than our GDP growth. In addition, most of the world is locked into investing into US treasuries because they need US dollar income to pay their own bills, which are also denominated in US dollars because they’re owed to other countries. It won’t collapse overnight. There is, however, a very large market in fear. Hedge funds love to speculate about this kind of thing in order to cause panic-selling, which can make their shorts profitable and expose arbitrage opportunities. The market crash in 2020 wasn’t caused by COVID, for example. It was caused by Bill Ackman going on TV and speculating on what COVID would do to the market, after placing a $20 billion short bet against the market. He won, and the rest of the country and the world lost.

Think about how it would work on the streets if both you, and the person you owe, had nukes. :stuck_out_tongue: The world runs on fear of mutually assured destruction, when you get right down to it.

4 Likes

Thank you very much I was just going to say something similar.

2 Likes