Ideal Grow Shed Buildout

I grow in my shed, affectionately called the “Growage”.

It started out as a 9’ x 16’ interior, I added a 4’ extension to one side, removed the roll up door and framed it in. Put a new roof on.

newsetup2 framed out

Insulated under 3/4" floor, walls and ceiling. That addition is where I have my two tents, a 4x4 with extension on taller side and a 3x3 next to it. Between them are my two 12 gallon reservoirs.

newsetup1

I hung blackout curtains in front of the tents, occasionally I’ll run auto’s in front of my tool box. 24 hours on.

I bought a larger window ac unit, cut a hole in the wall. Nice size dehumidifier when needed. In the coldest parts of winter I exhaust back inside. With all LED now I’m finding the 3x3 runs cool with a 300w unit. Next winter a MH/HPS air-cooled hood will most likely go back in. These heat the space much easier. I also have a few 1500w oil filled radiator heaters.

I just started rearranging things, got rid of some tools as I’m now retired and ordered a third tent.

I also have a 4x2x40" tall seedling and cloning cabinet in there. As well as an old foldable camper table and office chair, mini fridge and TV.

It could take some time to dial in but you’ll eventually find a way to make it work. I had no choice… :wink: Get to work, and enjoy the rewards.

10 Likes

I really appreciate it @VAkish! Shopping around for the right height shed right now, and starting to think it may be easier to just build it my self. I can reclaim quite a bit of lumber & 2in insulation board from my greenhouse over the next month before I move…

Thanks for the input!

2 Likes

Appreciate the electrical knowledge @sfzombie13! Thankfully one of my buddies in town is quite knowledgeable w/ electrical matters so I’ll press gang him into helping when the time comes.

1 Like

Appreciate the expertise @thainer! I’m thinking this may be the route to take as I’d like to maximize the indoor space while not taking up prime garden space in the yard.

I’ll look into your suggestions!

1 Like

@amumayuk very true, would be nice to have room to expand… I calculated that I’m currently using 56 square feet to grow in, so I’d need a shed at least 80sq ft to have some extra room, and may as well get something around 100sqft

@GCBudz this is exactly what I’m picturing!! Awesome purpose built space. I also was thinking about moving my mini fridge out there to keep brews stocked next to the ladies… great minds & all :joy:

I’m curious if you ran conduit & created a new breaker for the shed, or just run off of a dedicated outlet? Are temperature/humidity swings more aggressive than you expected? And also if there was something you’d do differently from the jump, what would that be?

I’m thinking it won’t be too crazy hard to pull this off, and a super fun new project. Really appreciate you chiming in, helps to see proof of concept.

3 Likes

I bought the house with garage built on concrete slab, had electric baseboard heat and plenty of outlets. House and garage built by my father in law… he passed shortly after and I never met him.

Electric is run underground beneath end of driveway. I’m not electrical savvy to describe in further detail. I have moved a few outlets around to separate each tent into its own circuit. Necessary when I ran ballasts and bulbs.

I wish I had water to shed, I run the hose into and fill a 20 gallon tote once a week to mix for reservoirs. Usually enough to also take care of any handfeeding also. When in stretch every 5 days…

Humidity I only worry if it’s high, then the dehuey kicks on. Low humidity slows plants down… but they grow. Last few seasons have been mild, and humidity during winter came up and things have improved. Exhausting inside helps too.

I just run with it, figure out the pressing issues as I go.

5 Likes