If you were going to set up a total newbie to indoor growing

So the point of replying to this thread was to offer an alternative suggestion based on the idea someone had nothing but a pack of seeds and where to go next.

I’d guess some solo cups, baggies, some potting soil and a lamp. Try to get next to a window. An aquarium stand and a bay window is nice. throw a board and a timer on it you can get to day 30 with just a couple of Cree 100W led bulbs in lamps next to a window.

4 Likes

@Olbrannon Agree to disagree, I 'spose. If it were purely about PAR levels, LED could match HID. But it doesn’t, which is why LED grows fine vegetative plants but yields subpar flowers.

I have a long-winded theory about total light output, specifically light outside the narrow PAR spectrum encouraging trichome development which has the physiological purpose of preventing sun damage, but I don’t wanna derail the thread with it.

3 Likes

@Olbrannon

:bug:

It’s just like with weed or wine (or worms)… you want top-shelf or mids or schwag from walmart? :laughing:

(I understood your issue to be a lack of availability not a price concern)

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

for me it’s both…and I got ya as for quality. I think live compost worms walmart superbrand gonna be just fine.

Eggs …that was the genius stroke. Less to ship and actually if you think about it an insulated container and they are probably good for 7 days ship time. And when I suggested it she replied she would ship me some for free just not to be in a hurry. Mean while I have 250 on the way. between the two I’m covered I think. thanks for trying to help though.

4 Likes

Thanks for the vast and varied input.

I didn’t intend to start a medium/lighting holy war and it has been a pleasure for people to weigh in with their experiences!

5 Likes

wars? lol the internet is for the faint of heart? If I don’t make mistakes, I must not be getting anything done or trying anything new.

4 Likes

Ya they multiply like rabbits if ya keep them happy give them enough room , keep moisture around 50% or at least try give them a container they can get air in from all sides( smart pots) , nice bedding material and don’t over feed!

4 Likes

Not sure if anyone has said it but ur gonna need to vent that tent this is my first grow in a tent but not first grow all together and I don’t have a inline fan in mine and I only have alil over 200w and it gets hot in there so now I’m ordering one if I were you I’d get one from jump street you will be happy you did

5 Likes

You pretty much nailed it. I would recommend mega crop as a great and easy to use nutrient for anyone. Also a somewhat accurate pH meter would really help someone new alot!

7 Likes

I got my start in coco(inert, mixing in perlite is optional) in fabric pots with water at 5.8-6.2 using Dynagro Foliage Pro(veg and flower stage) and Calimagic(optional, depending on your tap water you might not need it). Hand water drain to waste. Water once every day with your nutrient water mix. The trick is figuring out how much Dynagro to put in your water, and usually starting at 1/4 the recommended dose puts you in a good place. You are technically feeding it everyday so you want to go low and only increase when the plant shows signs it needs it. If you see nute burned tips, you back off a little. If you really overfed, you can easily flush the whole medium at any time with plain water and start your feeding from scratch. Coco flushes really easily compared to soil.

The reason i think coco is good for a newb is that it is almost impossible to overwater, and with good temp/humidity/air flow you just need to worry about your nutrient dosing. IMO YMMV blah blah

5 Likes

One thing I learned and I’m learning right now is a new indoor grower well taking it seriously anyway is proper watering for the medium you’re using I’ve never used Coco but I’m definitely going to switch. Autoflowers are awesome. One thing that hurt me was proper watering for the type of airflow you have Plus your light source. I was under watering salts were building up what’s causing issues over-watering using an African Violet pot with no drainage holes I still need to punch holes in it but I had to go lighter on the watering because it’s just evaporating off or the plant that’s it no drainage is bad. I would have bought most of my stuff from people if not all of my stuff from people here. And the number one thing is l i t f a. I still need to get some but seriously just leave it alone and let it do its thing sometimes as beginners we can overdo a lot I have a problem with my mouth I need to keep it shut and listen which I’m doing at this point but that’s a personal issue LOL just have fun it’s experimentation
Edit a guy I made a rude comment about was just trying to help me and I was being an ass whole for which I apologize but I was being a punk bitch I can admit my flaws but I wish I wouldn’t have I said what I said that’s what I mean about just having fun and making friends really I’m sad I went there

1 Like

@cdnBuddy you can use the old tent for vegging or auto’s/both etc as the light leaks aren’t so important at those stages etc… or donate it to a friend for the same thing if you already got a vegging area/tent, what size of tent did you get for your new one.?
Anyway good luck with the new tent and may big smelly buds be yours at harvest time. Lol. :+1:

@Baltimore mate iv ‘seen’ you all over the place ‘apologising to peeps for your (‘not-so )’passive aggressive’ words. I have not had any discussions with you yet but you seem to be still stuck in the “Ex-Con mode” and your finding it tough to just be yourself. ( i may be wrong ha , usually am lol. …)

I think you will hang around and settle down with the chillaxed people here on Overgrow and learn to grow better etc, n it seems you’re interested in breeding so choose someone to follow and see if you can breed something of your own one :point_up:t3: day. .?!
Anyway good luck with whatever you’re growing and I wish you well with your Overgrow experience .! :+1:
Gaz

4 Likes

Yeah I’m just gonna be myself. Your right those defense mech. pop up. I’m not a gangster by a long shot.

I’d rather learn and make friends than come off as an arragont jailhouse newbie attitude. So if like to move forward and chill out. I enjoy talking with everyone.

I’m hanging in there. I’ll be ok. I love it hear so I’ll end this by saying I’m tightening up and stopping the abrasive stupid dribble. Have a good one bro.
-J

4 Likes

I second The Mule here…It is pretty safe and easy.

Secret tip for you man…

When dealing with Amazon…Talk to the seller aout your product, tell them it was not supposed to leak lite. Ask for a refund.

If they refuse…Contact Amazon, and speak to the person who answered the call, tell them you are not happy with the product, it does not do what it is supposed to do. Tell them the seller refuses to make it right. If they can’t/won’t help you, ask for it to be escalated… When it gets escalated, they have policy’s in place to make it right. I know this because I had a 12" in line break on me…The seller refused to warranty it, because it was two days after the warranty ran out. Considering the fan only had 2 days run time on it,I was pissed. Amazon told me, they have the ability to, and it is protocol to make it right (as long as I had the proof of purchase).

Which they did.

Hopefully this helps someone some day, like it did me, not long ago.

This ^^^

Truth here ^^^ No way you get the same results using LED’s…Not to mention 98% of the newer growers I seen, had no idea how to properly use LED’s for their garden…They flunked their crop, and ended up buying DE’s, that they had decent success with. LED’s are not easy to get good results with, so for a new grower, it could be discouraging.

Speaking as a grower who has been doing it for a bit…IMO, I don’t think LED’s are the best choice for a beginner.

HA!

If you do…Remember that there are no nutrients in Coco…So if you don’t keep hitting them with Nutes…They will yellow fast, and get shitty…

K.

2 Likes

Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect 3 part and cal mag in Coco/perlite.

I just got back from home depot to get some coco and perelite. He was like what the h ell is coco. I show him his store carries it. He send me to a peat brick. I just got some potting soil to top dress. What a bunch of morons. Thanks tho @CombatVetGrower. I’ll make sure I keep them nicely fed
J

2 Likes

I would get a couple of cheap PH testers off eBay rather than use test strips. The cheap Chinese ones don’t last that long and are not incredibly accurate but they do the trick for me and are virtually disposable at $10 a pop. Also I would just go coco/perlite. 70/30, self watering pots are the go for newbies imho. When the water runs out at the bottom, you just refill so over-watering is difficult, similar to hempies, just even more mistake proof.

Also get a 20 l or so water container so you can mix your nutrients in a larger quantity, and write the amount of grams of Maxibloom you need to add to it when full to make a mix in permanent marker on the front of the container. For Maxibloom it’s 1.94 grams per litre. PH 5.8. You don’t need Maxigrow IMHO, I add some Calcium Nitrate to boost Nitrogen sometimes, but it’s not really necessary and have done many grows just using Maxibloom with no problems.
Lights, 3500K for the strips, all the way through and as a generally rule of thumb I aim at 5 K lumens per square foot. If you can have it so that you can switch off some of the lights strips for veg this is good, you don’t need full power and will just be wasting $.
Fans IMHO are absolutely necessary for a number of reasons, those cheap clip on fans work a treat, I just clip them onto the tent poles. When using strips. because the LED density is less, there is less light penetration, so there are benefits in having your leaves moving in the ‘breeze’, also airflow is vital to prevent humidity related problems like rot and mould etc.

2 Likes