In Memory of my Dad: My first run again, in over 15 years.

Hey guys!

So, after 15 years of sporadic incarceration, probation and parole, I have finally discharged and I am now completely legal to run as large-scale, and hard as I can f***in’ run. And I’m RUNNIN’!!

My Father, Gary, was an old-school member of this community back in the early 2000’s, ('01-'06), and was a huge advocate of the ‘aeroponic/DWC’ method and practically helped pioneer it among those in the scene here in Denver, Colorado, USA. However, he was never able to see legalization become a reality. …On one Halloween night… Oct. 31st 2007 while I was locked up and on my way to prison, my Dad passed away suddenly and without warning from pancreatic cancer. He was 47 years old man…

Needless to say, literally the majority of the accomplishments won by of our global community, my Dad anticipated with firm resolve. He KNEW that one day, truth would trump propaganda. He KNEW that the bright lights that are cannabis and hemp could not be distorted and twisted and made to be something they were not, for too much longer. My Dad knew legalization would sweep our nation, and many others…and that there would be so many opportunities for those who believed in that dream and followed it.

My Dad isn’t around today to share with all of us, his old friends and confidants…our accomplishments and experiences. But today he is still here, and with us all as I eagerly share with you all my progress so far in a project that I am dedicating to my Father, and pursuing with dedicated resolve. My ultimate goal, and the dream and vision I have for this project, is to source as best I can the most original, regional-based strains of pot, and then crossbreed and develop a unique lineage. My father left a lasting impact on my world, and the culture that we forever will be a strong part of… He was damn good at growing weed. He would have wanted to see this through. So, this is for you, Dad.

Ok… So I started with a budget of something around the lines of $0. But in true-to-dad fashion, I knew we would make it work. My Dad was the kind of guy that would go to the army surplus store, radio shack, and some random construction job site, and then would turn around and build his own 1000w ballasts, lamps and hoods out of stuff like the old WW2 ammo boxes and miscellaneous crap he would find. In fact, remembering how resourceful Dad was, I COULDN’T just go drop thousands of dollars on a grow - I HAD to do this like He would, and so I reached out to old friends and family, most of which whom also were hugely impacted by my Father and his energy, and some of whom who are doing very well in the cannabis space here in Colo. The resulting support we received was overwhelming. The guys at Karmaceuticals, Medicine Man and THC Magazine…the support is amazing. Thank you guys so much!!! Without you guys, none of this would be possible. Love you guys so much!
Anyway, enough of the DAMN RANT!!! Here’s the delicious DATA!

We ended up being given the following clones (for a total of 27 mommas):

1 Forbidden Fruit
1 The Juice
5 Super Lemon Haze
20 Lemon Skunk

I’m running…

-27X 5gal buckets (DWC, pumping air to them) (Called all the Chick Fil-A’s around town for 2 weeks and picked up their 5gal pickle buckets, which are bpa-free, food-grade buckets, for free!)
-6" Net pots, Lava rocks, Rockwool
-1X 3566GPH Airpump (Used Y splitter and 2X 14Valve Manifolds to run 1/4" hose to airstones)
-2" Airstones
-6X 1000watt DE HPS in a room apx. 15’ X 22’
-Sunleaves Base Nutrients

We got a late start transplanting, as we had to pull 10/3 240v wiring and install an 8X outlet Master Lighting Controller for the room, so finally got the girls in buckets yesterday (3/2). I’m a bit rusty, so I’m hoping that my formulations on a couple variables are correct, and maybe you guys can help me with that.

Formulations

Airflow: My research showed I need a min. of 500-600cc minimum, of air-flow, per gallon of solution. (equivalent to .5-.6LPM, Per Gal of solution), or 2.5LPM/Bucket.
I understand that 240GPH = 15LPM, therefore:
3566GPH / 240 = 14.86
…meaning that if this airpump, which pumps 3,566GPH, is to run to 15 buckets, each bucket would receive roughly 15LPM of air. I figured that if I doubled the number of buckets, I would halve the airflow, giving each bucket roughly 7-8LPM of air… almost 3X the minimum necessary… Now I THOUGHT that would be the case, but such was not so. It looks like we will most likely purchase another air pump to handle 1/3rd of the load, as the largest pump I can find locally, retail, is half the GPH.

Water & Nutrients: The rule of thumb for this line is 5-6 grams per gallon of water. Since our tap water is slightly alkaline, I was concerned about having to chase pH around.
We had roughly 4.5 gallons of water per bucket, so I measured 20-22 grams of nutrients out per bucket, and the pH settled quite nicely around 6, give or take .2-.3 - not too bad.
The fill line in the buckets put the last 1-2" of netpot submerged in water - which leads me to a question: is that too much water or not enough? I figure that it would be fine for now, as long as the rockwool stays moist and the roots are given enough stimulus to enable them to grow out into the water. Obviously, once the system is fully submerged it won’t be so critical I assume, and once that happens, I will run silica and root stimulator…probably same line.

Lighting: My Dual-ended HPS ballasts let me run 60%, so for now we have all 27 under one, 1000watt HPS running at 60%, (600watts effective luminosity). We will be hanging the other 5 1000watters and placing the buckets in their relatively final resting place within a week or two, depending on response after this transplantation. Right now, I have them on 24hrs.

Supercropping!!
It’s hard, tedious work - but this run will be supercropped, meaning I will meticulously pinch, coach, train, poke, cut, tie, twist and coax these mommas into becoming thick, squat and dense - with the hopes of truly maximizing yield.
A handful of these will become mommas, that will stay in a perpetual veg state, bonzaii’ed if possible.
And we are building out 5 more rooms… Got our work cut out for us…so wish us luck!

Anyway. I’m burnt out on the post. I have tons of questions and will pose them if I need any assistance! Definitely open to suggestions, comments and concerns!

Talk to you guys soon, and will keep everyone posted!

I will also take better pictures of each individual plant so that we can keep tabs, together. =)

Cheers!

-Nox

27 Likes

Having the water higher should be ok for now. Once they get longer roots people usually keep it a bit below the net pot. Good luck with your run!

3 Likes

Looking good so far, I dont do DWC, so not sure about your water question, from what I have seen most growers have it a couple of inches under the nets, but I am sure, someone better informed will help you out there.

I am sure your Dad is looking over your shoulder and patting you on your back, wishing he could still share a toke with you :wink:

Edit, Beachy Baby beat me to it lol.

2 Likes

Condolences regarding your Father. Congrats on your Legal Status. Sitting back, watching your progress and, wishing you much success. Keep doin’ you, Bro.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your dad. Just by what you say about your dad it sounds like he was a decent guy, i love being resourceful when i can and enjoy seeing the ideas of others when they doing that as well… your grow is looking good can’t wait to see updates as it progresses.

3 Likes

Appreciate the support guys!

Just added 3 new strains to the run, Bubble Gum, Grape Diamonds, and Sunset Sherbert. Will be updating pics soon. A couple of the girls we got didn’t look so good. Might cull em. Will post soon!

5 Likes

Wow, I’m smokin a toast to your dad, and to mine. I think it’s awesome what your doing. Everytime I purchase legal weed, I think if my dad were only alive to see this shit! I do the dwc thang too, but it’s been about 15 to 20 years. I love that you are totally resourceful and doing it like he would have. Your growing old school, in memory of your dad and I love it! I’m gonna keep up with this thread😁

5 Likes

Hey guys. So, we are having some issues. I haven’t been on site for week and, although there has been good growth and they’ve overcome the initial stress, a good majority of the most recent new growth is coming in malformed, displaying curling, canoeing and a strange kind of texture that is different from healthy growth. Obviously the new growth is immensely stunted and some of it is dying… I think that it’s humidity…it’s pretty dry here and the room is fairly large, but I defer to you guys here. Any ideas and suggestions?

3 Likes

When I saw the first pic I thought over watering lol. Looks like heat or a light burn crisping them up. Whats your temps and humidity and light height like?

Edit, Maybe a root problem, just seen the PH strip that’s out of whack for DWC wants to be fluctuating between 5.8 - 6

3 Likes