Irrigation Setup for 5x5 Growtent

Hey all,

Currently hand watering 3 gallon coco pots in a 5x5 and getting pretty tired of doing that so looking to automate. I have a 44 gallon brute trash can I am planning on using as a res with a mondi sump pump as the main pump. I plan on using 3/4 pvc to hard plumb from the mondi pump out of the res and up into the tent. From there I will have it connect to some 17mm Netafim drip line with netafim .5gph PC drippers that connect to their netbow halo drip rings. I plan on doing an irrigation loop around the inside of the plastic flood table which is what I believe cool kids nowadays call a “whip kit” lol. Non powered whip kit since I wont be using powered solenoid valves or a supply line that is always pressurized.

So a couple of design questions I have is that in theory when the sump pump powers on it will push water into the pipe and into the irrigation lines replacing the air in the lines with water. I am thinking this process of pushing out the air will happen through the drip ring and probably needs to be accounted for in my irrigation event planning for how long the pump stays on. Once the pump powers off gravity should drain the water out back through the pump and back into the res. So if my thinking is correct that cycle of air being re-introduced into the irrigation line and then having to be pushed out again is going to happen every singe time the pump comes on and shutsoff. Do I need some sort of air bleed valve somewhere in the loop to help this process. Also I have seen many systems that have a flush valve at the end of the irrigation loop used to flush out out nutrients. Is this recommended as well and will it also act as an airbleed valve?

1 Like

How about a non return valve in line close as possible to the pump outlet so there is always a head of water.

2 Likes

For your size you should be fine if you watch it do a couple cycles and adjust. It’ll drain out pretty fast, but it doesn’t fill the line back up on activation as fast as emptying. Sounds like you’re going to just let it drip to drain as DTW. So just keep an eye on it but shouldn’t have any problems for a week or so before you might adjust because things get dirty and what have’s ya. You might want to get an inline irrigation filter. They’re pretty baller to keep the drip lines clear. Flush valve might be worth for you closer to the pump so you can just empty the res itself when you want to clean it. T valve should do with a hose off of it.

3 Likes

Seconding @DirtMcGirrt that you should be fine with those short runs. Drippers will spittle briefly when the pump fires up, but if you are running shot sizes that take more than a few seconds of pump time, the 1-3 seconds of spittling around won’t mess up your times.
If your shot sizes are tiny though, with pump times of just a few seconds per event, then you might have to add 1 to 3 seconds to the pumping time. Running a 1/16 hp pump in a 5x5 area, 4" cubes, our P1s are still about a minute to get a 3% shot, so makes no difference if the line is charged or not form the plants’ perspective.

3 Likes

Check out FloraFlex, they have some equipment and setups that are amazing. Been using them for about a year now to water my coco and absolutely love them. Several different styles of setups and they have packages for 4x4 that should work well for you. I think some of their parts would be useful to you too. Can’t say enough good things about FloraFlex

So thats an interesting idea. Is that basically a one way valve that would prevent the water from flowing backdown the pump? I like that idea and will look into that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. I am intentionally trying to keep the plumbing runs as short as possible and plan to have the brute trash can right outside the tent opening. I was hoping that being so small a distance, that it would sort of negate any big issues. I haven’t done the math just yet but I am working with the assumption that my shot sizes will require the pump to be on longer then for a few seconds so I think you guys are right that pushing the air out each time won’t throw things off too much (famous last words).

Good advice on the inline filter and I am planning on adding that to the project.

My only other concern is siphoning effect. Would there be anything that I need to be aware of so that the drippers don’t siphon my res tank dry? the pvc plumbing is going to make a short of horseshoe shape going up out of the res, then make a 90 degree turn to go into the tent, Then another 90 degree turn back down into the drain table. So there will be a natural gravity break there and I am hoping that will be enough.

Thanks for the recommendation. I mostly have all the pieces I need already from Netafim but I know Floraflex has irrigation components as well so its good to hear from someone who has used them first hand give them the thumbs up. They make an airbleed valve that I was looking at so I may end up getting that piece from them.

2 Likes

Yea I had this setup on my first photo grow with a drain table and what nots. Works well. Oh for siphon just put a hole (just enough to let air equalize) on the pipe going up out of the trash can but above the water line. It’ll leak but it’s for the siphon it’ll be fine.

3 Likes