Is it possible to add and create custom badges for honorary regulars?

There are often members who contribute a tremendous amount to the community and likewise on Overgrow as a platform. Without them and their valued contributions it’s easy to say that the community just wouldn’t be the same.

That said, the current membership privilege levels known as trust levels don’t always reflect these members immense contributions. At first I thought it would be a good idea to possibly revamp the trust levels, but at the end of the day there will always be something that someone else feels needs adjustment. With the addition of some newly created badges, I think this can be achieved.

With respect to revamping the karma system, I made mention of the old karma system that OG used to use in the original version, that comments could be liked or disliked as well as the karma for that user for a given comment could be influenced with a positive or negative karma hit. Additionally, ones karma was viewed as a ratio of growing related vs non growing related for quick reference. I valued these features of the old platform and am curious what other members and the moderation team thinks.

As a specific example, member @Upstate. I would love to see members like this who are so valued and who contribute so much receive the additional website privileges that due to the nature of their browsing and posting habits for whatever reason keep them from gaining benefits afforded other members with different browsing styles. Maybe even special badges for these legendary contributors? A badge that grants the member the privilege of unlimited likes? Or likes based on the amount of interaction one has? I can imagine @upstate runs out of likes more than most as he is so very active and helping cultivate so many likeable places within Overgrow from which conversations and discussions take place.

Personally, there are times when I have felt embarrassed because I couldn’t like every comment within a discussion and thought it may come across that since I liked some comments that since I didn’t like others that followed that I for whatever reason didn’t like them, simply due to the omission of a like. Yeah, I overthink just about everything. Still an often thought!

Really hoping we can have some honorary regular badges created for the select few individuals who contribute so much but seem to slip through the website privileges leveling up cracks.

I believe that everyone makes up the community from those who only lurk and have never even signed up to those who are the top website contributors and everything in between. Much love

9 Likes

I am not a fan of the Karma system you speak of. I have personally seen it used to push users down by groups of members. Not sure what badges you would create to serve the purpose you speak of. Getting to know members and spending time on OG are how folks should go about getting to know who’s who around the platform IMO.

13 Likes

the regular emeritus badge was created for that wasnt it? (maybe not perks, but recognition)

8 Likes

That’s understandable @DougDawson, the karma system was definitely unique. More than likes or dislikes, positive or negative karma, green or red dots it’s about the quality of the content being shared. The karma system can definitely bring out a tit for tat hurt feelings thing, leading to brigading like you’re suggesting. I don’t know of a perfect model but I did quite like some of the self moderation that can happen with the karma system when it’s working well and not being abused.

In terms of specific badges, perhaps one that increases the amount of likes for contributing members who have many more interactions due to their elevated activity, like @Upstate and yourself.

@the_bot, the regular emeritus badge is earned by first gaining level 3 trust level, which is the reason for the creation of this topic. There are some members who, even though they contribute immensely, haven’t checked all the boxes of requirements for gaining level 3 trust level and thus haven’t received a regular emeritus badge.

It’s these members who I feel should be afforded the extended privileges like an honorary member badge as they contribute so much, though due to their oftentimes select niche of excellence miss out on leveling up trust levels because those requirements specify a wider range of community interaction. Much love

5 Likes

Yea, @LemonadeJoe would have to look at stuff and figure it out as none of us mods have that capability.

I believe emeritus was created to let those who gained tl3 at some point and are now back to tl2 sign up for seed runs and coops and such but that’s about the tl3 privilege extent with it

7 Likes

Me too. Exactly. I feel guilty if I run out lol

3 Likes

I say scrap the likes
Liking everything kind of takes away the value of a like anyway
: )
Take away the green dots too , make people earn trust the old way , 1 on 1

Slow it all down : )

4 Likes

I like having the option to share with others that I like or agree with their comment, without having to actually comment. Sometimes it’s to avoid redundancy, others because I’m just not in the mood cerebrally to contribute in the ways I’d like.

Generally speaking, I would prefer a system with unlimited likes and dislikes, along with a karma system that is responsible for website privileges. Could just be nostalgia as that’s how it was originally. If there’s any brigading it should be noticable by the admin team and I think the self moderation that comes with the weighted karma system far outweighs the possible brigading negatives. Appreciate the discussion. At the end of the day they’re just pixels on a screen, but it’s understandable to want to level up if it’s an option.

For me, or rather back in the day, it was about trustworthiness of ones advise. It wasn’t about safe addresses and free seeds and such or trading. Much love

Doing so much and not having an ability to level up when others can without doing as much, well we’re all human and part of being human is having an ego. I would feel very similarly. I sympathize with the feeling of not being seen in that regard. Much love

6 Likes

I think you are right. The current method really doesn’t work. People are starting threads and posting just for number and it just junks things up. The guidelines say not to post just to post but then it rewards people for doing so.

Those that do rather than just chatter should be rewarded. @Upstate is a good example.

6 Likes

There are still alot of members that cannot contribute by posting grow logs and doing seed runs due to legal restraints. Would it be fair to penalize these people?

5 Likes

Collect Them All!

6 Likes

I have a grow diary, post in threads or answer what I think could be of interest or help, and I’m in a country with all legal restraints possible for growing. But I understand people that doesn’t wsnt to have a diary… Better be on safe side.
But there is more ways of contributing that only grow diarys or coops.

And you see it as that penalizes that people that not do it, but I see the other way, it awards the people that do it, because is doing more for the forum.

For that is what we use the nicknames and secure addresses, I think.

3 Likes

I’m still waiting on that devotee badge. I’m here every day. Why is OG holding out on me?

4 Likes

I’m with you bro.

3 Likes

I checked my records and you weren’t here on March 11th. Sorry maybe next year.

3 Likes

I kinda like the likes, I see it just as an acknowledgment, like nodding your head and agreeing to a comment in a conversation.

Dislikes I’m personally not so keen on just because it doesn’t hurt to say nothing and there’s less angst as a result.

I guess if it’s something that really gets your goat, speak up and agree to disagree. Fanbois on the other hand, don’t get me started lol.

3 Likes

Check again!

I want a donut badge.

1 Like

You’ve earned it:

7 Likes

I think you missed one day, maybe because of the last year’s SSL certificate change, happened also to me … ejem|nullxnull

6 Likes

Me too, july 19th will be my 1 year anniversary and I’ve logged in every day, multiple times a day. But I do remember the SSL thing and not being able to log in those days, so I suspect I’ll be a month or so behind on that devotee badge

2 Likes