Freaker’s Ball 2022 Sign-Up Thread

Happy Holidays Overgrow!!!

Welcome to the Freaker’s Ball Seed Collective 2022.

Our first year was successful, but chaotic. In no small part because I set it up when there were only 20 some odd Snowhigh strains, but The Great Landrace Rush of 2020 upended that, and what I came up with was unnecessarily convoluted, and confusing. However, we were paying attention, and we did learn some things over this last year, so in the spirit of keeping what works and dumping the rest, here’s the 2022 version of the, “How To Be A Freaker Handbook.” :grinning:

FBSC Membership Requirements

The original membership requirements were a cluster so, the affiliates, the probation runs, how long you’ve been a member, all that is gone. Starting in 2022, you only need one thing to be eligible for the Freaker’s Ball. You must have the “Overgrower” badge before you can be a Freak.

You get the Overgrower badge by completing at least one (1) Co-Op seed run according to the guidelines they’ve developed for strain selection, number of seeds, and so on. Once that run is finished, you’re eligible to become a Freak.

PLEASE NOTE: The 20 members who contributed funds to the original group purchase are exempt from any growing requirements for those strains only. After that, they’re subject to the same requirements as everyone else.

It was decided that requiring the Overgrower badge was a good way to help address concerns raised by some members. It also let’s us know you’re serious about being an OGer, and it lets us get a look at your grow and check out your skills.

I think it was a great idea, and I wish I could say I thought of it, but I can’t, so how about a big round of applause for @Upstate!!

:boom::boom: :clap::clap::clap: :boom::boom:

The other big change is the number of runs required. Starting next year, you’re only required to do one run to be eligible to get seeds from all the Freaker’s runs. However, we wanted to encourage people to more than one run, and to run the pure landrace strains. We decided to do that by seed count.

There are 4 possibilities, and the seed count is listed for each.

PLEASE NOTE: This applies to all Freaker’s runs completed in 2022.

1. Members who participated in a buy, but are NOT doing any runs: One (1) 10 pack
  2. Freaker’s who do one (1) run: One (1) 25 pack
  3. Freaker’s who do multiple runs: One (1) 50 pack
  4. Freaker’s who do multiple runs, one being a pure landrace/heirloom: One (1) 100 pack

We had 41 Freaks this year, and it looks like we’ll only have 14 runs for the entire year, two Freaks accounted for 4 of those runs, and all 4 were 16-24 week strains. Now, The Landrace Whisperer and The Notorious YBD are NOT your everyday Freaks, so nobody will be expected to go that hard. Except for them, of course. :grinning:

To discourage that in 2022, there’s this. If you sign up, and complete your one (1) run, you’re automatically in for the following year. If you sign up, and don’t complete at your one (1) run, you can’t sign up the next year. If you sign up again, and don’t finish the run, you’re 86’d for good.

If God throws a tree at your house and smashes your grow, we’re gonna blame Her, not you. :grinning: But, “I just didn’t get around to it because I had other shit going on”, isn’t gonna cut it.

FBSC 2022 Grower Protocols

I think this part probably hacked everybody off the worst, and I wanted to try and lay out the reasons for these protocols being here.

My goal has always been the preservation of these strains. IMO, it takes 3 things to make a successful preservation.

1. Maximizing the genetic potential in the next generation. Seed are like snowflakes. If you can bring me two seeds that are genetically identical, I’ll eat your hat. So, if you have a 10 pack, and you only drop 7 seeds, you’ve reduced the genetic potential in the offspring by 30%. Same thing with culling runts. Every one you cull represents a reduction in the genetic potential of the next generation. That’s the reason for Protocol #1

2. Ensuring a “clean” reproduction with no cross-contamination. Unless you’ve got a separate area for pollination, if you’ve got pollen flying from multiple males, you are going to get some cross-pollination. Simply put, we owe a clean reproduction to the people we send seeds to. That’s why Protocol #2 is in place.

3. Maximizing seed production. Last year there was accommodation made to allow for a limited open pollination. That was where the affiliate program came from. You could be an affiliate, and do one limited OP run. The affiliate program is gone, so the limited OP option is gone too. That’s the trade-off to only having to do one run per year, and the reason for Protocol #3.

2022 FBSC SEED RUN PROTOCOLS

ALL FBSC Preservation Projects must be conducted according to FBSC protocols, as listed below.

1. For 10 packs or fewer, the entire pack must be planted prior to any pollination activities. They do not have to be planted all together, in fact a staggered germination is a good idea, but before they’re put into flower, all viable plants need to be mature enough to flower properly.

2. Growers agree to halt all non-preservation pollination activities once the preservation run is placed into flower. Pollen chucks are encouraged, but please, no non-preservation males flowering during the run.

EXCEPTION: If you have a separate breeding area, that’s completely isolated from your flowering area, this doesn’t apply to you.

PLEASE NOTE: We take “completely isolated” to mean no shared air flow of any kind between those environments. If you have such a setup, you’re aware of the precautions needed when moving between rooms.

1. The FBSC utilizes a full open pollination, (OP), methodology, utilizing all viable plants obtained from the available seeds. All male pollen is collected, mixed, and fully applied to all branches on all females. No selections should be made solely for phenotypical expression.

EXCEPTION: Unless it’s reasonably certain the situation was caused by stress, any plant(s) that show intersex traits should be chopped, or moved to an isolated area ASAP.

A Word About Fems

Generally speaking, only verified authentic strains of regular M/F seeds are eligible for FBSC preservation runs, and the FBSC only distributes regular M/F seeds. Selfed, or feminized seeds are not eligible for FBSC runs, and no selfed seeds should be made during the initial preservation run.

EXCEPTION: If no viable males are produced from the seeds we have, and we are unable to locate more seeds or pollen, then a reversal would be needed in order to preserve the female side of the genome until more seeds, or a suitable pollen donor become available.

Donations

The FBSC accepts donations of pure landrace/heirloom strains from verifiable sources. While our focus is on landrace preservation, we do love a good hybrid, :slight_smile: so we also accept donations of rare landrace/heirloom hybrids from verifiable sources. All donors will receive a Freaker’s pack of their strain(s) when the runs are completed.

The FBSC Philosophy

Weed is fun!! :grinning: It’s fun to grow, and it’s really fun to consume, especially with a bunch of freaks. :grinning:

Our goal is to keep the fun alive for future heads, so we’re very serious about preserving the diversity of the cannabis genome. By reproducing and distributing these unique genetics to the OG community, we believe we’re working towards those goals, and, at the same time, doing our bit to…

OVERGROW THE WORLD!!!

Click here to get the Freaker’s Ball vibe.

We’re not doing the poll this year, We’re gonna do a signup sheet, but it’s not a wiki. I only put 30 spots down, but the list will be open until 12/31, and if I need to add more spots, I will. The people already on it are current Freaks who have done/are doing a run, and are automatically in.

If you want to join the FBSC in 2022, just post to this thread, and I’ll add your name to the list.

Just don’t forget to bring your whips. :grinning:
:guitar:

1. @Chronickyle
  2. @Corey
  3. @Donnie
  4. @anon82574406
  5. @Gugumelo
  6. @Guitarzan
  7. @Old-Ron
  8. @Pheno_fiend
  9. @PlantShepherd
  10. @rootfarmer
  11. @Tejas
  12. @thecurtainwith
  13. @Upstate
  14. @v4vendetta
  15. @Worcestershire_Farms
  16. @YoBigDaddy
  17. @zephyr
  18. @lambchopedd
28 Likes

i would like to try for this? @Guitarzan, ive been talking with @Upstate on this, please dm me and let me know what and how i need to par take in such fine event

6 Likes

@blendmedmedman everything is listed above, here is the direct quote though from above as to how.

8 Likes

This is really cool @Guitarzan . I would be one of those other things on my plate guys so I will just watch these runs. I will be buried under BOG runs for this year. Love seeing the Freaks doing great things though.

9 Likes

@Chronickyle pretty much nailed it. You have to have the Overgrower badge to even join. That’s just to get in the door. After that, you have to agree to our protocols for how the runs are done.

Read the post, carefully, and make sure you understand what’s required. The biggest thing to remember is that there are no freebies with the FBSC. If you sign up, and don’t do a seed run, the only thing you get is banned for the next year. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

17 Likes

Who wouldn’t like to be a Freak :love_you_gesture::metal:

I can always throw in some $$€€££ but don’t have any space to grow anything yet :v:

5 Likes

I think if all goes well with the Goji OG run ill get that Overgrower badge and be looking to join :+1:

13 Likes

read it thanks @Chronickyle

2 Likes

I’ve been interested in the freakers since I heard about it but didn’t have the time for multiple seed runs on top of my personal seed and flower runs.
I can definitely manage to squeeze one run in for sure.
The question I have is, im doing the rks co op and it’s just about done but the seeds won’t be out until the spring box because I will miss the timeframe for this box. So do I only get the overgrow badge after the seeds go out? Meaning im not eligible until spring of 2022?
And also im a little confused about the pack counts in the first post. Are they the different amounts of plants needed to run for the different levels?

4 Likes

You can send your seeds to the distributor whenever you want so no issues there. If they don’t make the fall box they will just hold on to them until the spring box. They just have to reach the distributor to earn you your overgrower badge.

6 Likes

I don’t qualify based on the Overgrower badge; I’m certainly interested though, I’ve been chatting with @Upstate and he told me to keep an eye out for this thread. I’m intending to do at least one reproduction next year, and had intended to use basically the same protocols the FBSC requires, simply for my own certainty on the seeds I’m reproducing. If it’s eligible for the seed co-op runs, I’ll be putting it there and I guess that would get me the Overgrower badge - but I’d be even happier doing a repro for the FBSC, since I’m very interested in collecting landraces. Up to you guys which direction you want to go; I’ve got my basement set up and it’ll be ready for a repro in a few months, once I finish my current grow. If you’d rather I wait, get the badge and come back next year, that’ll be fine. I understand it’s a risk working with someone new, obviously I could just be blowing smoke here… :wink:

One question on the protocols… is it acceptable to do a full open pollination without segregating the males? I might be confused, but I don’t understand how it’s possible to collect, mix, and equally pollinate the females with that mix of male pollen without isolating them - the early flowering males will always dominate the gene pool at that point, right? Ideally I’ll try to have space available for isolation anyway - and a full line of clones for the females, so I can do selections at the same time - but I just want to be sure I can do it before I make any commitments, since isolation requires a little bit more planning to have the upstairs tent free.

Oh, and I will not be smearing my body with butter either, freak or not, so if that’s a factor in the decision it should be known! :stuck_out_tongue: Fun song though, I’ve never heard that one before.

6 Likes

Absolutely. You can leave all the males in the room if you want to, which is what I did. Lots of people don’t have two different areas to have plants.

5 Likes

Ok, great. I’m planning to veg the girls I’ve got down there currently for two more months, then flower - assuming that takes 3 months, since none of them are very heavily sativa, that should leave me able to start a run in the tent in April, then move them down to the basement in May once everything is done flowering. If anything takes 4 months, I’d be very surprised, but I’d be able to work with that too if I’d be running the Afghanis we discussed; they shouldn’t be more than 2-3 feet tall after 2 months from seed, though I dunno that I’d complain if they were. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Don’t worry about the overgrower badge much either. I did a reproduction a year ago and still don’t have one.

8 Likes

This reminds me of one of my favorite lines in a Mac Miller song… “Gods coming she’s just taking her time…”

3 Likes

Sign me up then! I can start a run around spring

4 Likes

Also because I had two grows that were duds early on, I’m gonna contribute some packs to the cause! I’ll DM you @Guitarzan when ready. I’ll also look at the list to shoot for something different or if I come across a once-in’a-lifetime chance strain :fist:t4:

7 Likes

Well my current co-op run for Tuna Kush (also my first co-op run) should qualify me, I’m thinking they’ll be done right before New Years or just after

5 Likes

Much love to all y’all FREAKS!

:hugs: :fist: :heart:

7 Likes

I’ll be finished up with a seed run by March, should be able to work this in and acquire my badge by then

1 Like