Is seed sex determination set?

The associated published pdf:

moliterni2004.pdf (471.0 KB)

4 Likes

oh that’s the one, alright! Thanks so much Loki! I had completely forgotten where I had read it.
re-reading it was so good! On my recommended reading list!

3 Likes

I’d say before then sex was was not evident…

3 Likes

mmm the irony is people will try and shame me for grading the merits of the scientific paper in question.

2 Likes

We’ll consider it a peer review shall we.

1 Like

Searching for “sex” Jessica|nullxnull tounge_smile|nullxnull in the forum … frech|nullxnull

How to produce mostly females from standard seeds

1 Like

Gotta actually be a peer to peer review lol.

1 Like

Yes

The “LOL” and :wink: was implied

1 Like

I read this radical study where they used molecular clocks to try and determine the age of C Sativa cannabis genome. Estimates arrived at 12-29 million years with the entire family tree stretching back 80 million. It was part of a sex chromosome study.

1 Like

This was my tinder header.

5 Likes

Interestingly enough cannabis is a homomorphic plant, which means the X and Y chromosome are a similar size! Fascinating details.

I buy feminised seeds so I dont waist time and money growing males.
If it was possible to determine seed sex these seed banks would be out of business.

Fascinating. I’m not surprised that the plant would start XX, as female is the prototype of the universe, but usually a chemical is released that adds the male element, not the other way around.

1 Like

according to the study, the male Y chromosome and the female X share some of the same bloom producing genetics. To paraphrase it:
347 X/Y Genes and 218 X only(hemizygous) out of 565 sex-linked genes.

2 Likes

I wonder if plants that have both male and female flowers on one plant like say squash plants have similar sex linked genes?

2 Likes

lol! Good question. I was personally wondering where the cannabis plant fit in on the tree of life genome. I wonder what it’s ancestors were like 20 million years ago.
Edit: found the answer is split from the hops plant 20 million years ago.

4 Likes

I am just assuming that they would carry some similarity as both plants produce separate sex flowers. Cannabis is more unique in that it split’s between 2 plants. Cannabis is such an interesting plant.

2 Likes

Just passing by …

:call_me_hand: :green_heart: :dna: :raised_hands:

5 Likes

No wonder! Hops really smells like weed to me at times!

Edit - I guess really, Weed smells like hops. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

well, it’s a falsifiable hypothesis, I’ll give it that. I should have included that in the sex tests. I will in the future.

1 Like