Is seed sex determination set?

Do environmental factors at the time of germination make a difference to the sex of the seed? What about the way seeds are stored?

9 Likes

I think so. I think environmental factors from seed until the plant is ready to show sex plays an important roll. I also believe high amounts of nitrogen in the early stages of growth increases the chance of female plants

4 Likes

pretty sure it’s like any other dioecious plant AKA asparagus, the sex is determined when the plant is pollinated.

20 Likes

I’m in the set in stone camp

13 Likes

Not saying that environmental conditions factor in to a plant’s sex - or not. But testing plant DNA well before a plant shows its sex is available to the public at a reasonable cost. Here’s a link to one service, but there are many out there…

8 Likes

Been seeing a lot of this all I have to say is exact same environment just went 6 for 6 on females batch before it 2 out of 4 females also plants can show sex in veg so that just goes to show how early it’s decided and a lot of 20 year long growers claim to be able to sort in the veg stage with all that said I’ll stick with my roll of dice :game_die: on gender

4 Likes

I know this guy, who has his seeds in the freezer right now in a neo-Lamarckism attempt to make them female.

5 Likes

That’s the proper way to do long term storage it’s how they preserve seeds of all plants sorry just saw Lamarckism totally skipped that when I read it

3 Likes

yah hell yah, someone should tell him, lol! The seeds are actually tan colored and non-viable. I’m not sure… what he thinks is going to happen there.

4 Likes

Me either not sure with the thing he has them in either just know freezing the seeds won’t make a difference

2 Likes

Best of luck to this guy on his futile effort :rofl:

4 Likes

I always thought high nitrogen when the plants were young increased female ratios. I always wind up with about 50/50 using that method. But how often does a feminized seed turn male?

1 Like

You get what you get , I don’t think it can be influenced , it’s preset

9 Likes

There are animals that environmental conditions can affect sex of the babies. Alligators, for example.

Is there is a corollary with plants, specifically Cannabis? Maybe, but probably not. I haven’t seen any evidence of it whatsoever. I have sprouted seeds in all sorts of conditions and average seems to slightly favor females if you grow enough. Certain lines more males, certain lines more females but in a general sense no I don’t think it can be influenced post-pollination.

12 Likes

This debate has been going years and years lol , lots of people have tried every which way too see , countless times , it would be a thing by now if the said ways that keep coming up worked , just more old myths and folklore : )

6 Likes

Which opens the question: Is there factors at the time of pollination that affects sex of seeds?

2 Likes

Yes … the crossing of fingers and toes , is the best most find : )

7 Likes

My understanding is that sex is both determined as genotype and phenotype.

Sex in the genotype is either as XY (male) vs XX (female) – already determined in the sex-linked chromosomes in the seed.

Sexual phenotype expression is determined by plant hormones. If you don’t believe this to be true, then you can’t explain how sex reversal works using CS or STS. Hormone production can be determined by environment, as well as other genetic factors that probably determine levels of hormones that the cannabis plant produces and hormone responses of the plant to stresses.

16 Likes

I’m open to the possibility…but way I look at it, surely someone would have noticed by now if, for example, let’s say it was a super hot summer during pollination and “I got all males from the seeds”.

I’m inclined to skepticism…but if someone has a compelling story I’m listening.

The seeds I’m running now skew very female…nothing “weird” about the pollination. Just a normal tent with normal conditions during pollination.

2 Likes

It is unbelievably insensitive to simply assume a plants gender based on what plant parts they have. I mean has anyone actually asked their plants what they identify as ?
Until then , stop all the hate speech …

Sex is determined at pollination or during seed development. If there was any definitive way to increase females , we would all know about it .
Long live the folklore

5 Likes