Jacks 321 Hydro discussion, questions, tips, etc

I’m on my second 25lb bag of Jacks, 1st bag of cal-nit so I’ve been using it for awhile.

I roll up the top of the bag like a bag of chips and throw a big binder clip on it then chuck it on the shop floor in the corner. I live in a low humidity area - it’s not a problem, in higher humidity areas ??

Cal-nit is the same.

Epsom salts I just buy locally at the drug store - it cheaper, just make sure its pure. Epsom seems to attract a bit more moisture but not to bad, just make sure it’s resealed.

I do run closer to 3.6-1-1 than 3.6-2-1, then adjust the EC to my target in my DTW (coco) system but I also grown things like hot peppers in there so I’m not afraid to add a splash of cal-mag as needed.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the insights!

Placing my order tonight, cant wait to give this a go on my next round.

1 Like

Hey there everyone, thanks for all the info above!

Storage of salt fertilizers is just like storage of table salt. If it clumps up where you live, then you ought to try and keep it in a drier environment. I live close to the gulf so salt fertilizers are always pulling water out of the air and clumping. I apply fertilizer for a living so I have lots of experience.

They are oxidizers as well so they will rust the shit out of metal, keep that in mind for storage. Keep Nitrates and fuels separated! Elemental sulfur is also flammable, however I rarely see any pot growers with any 90% sulfur. That is a nice tool for outdoor in basic pH soils, it can leech salts and raise pH. Sulfur toxicity is rarely an issue.

I am about to try DWC indoors for the first time. Already have my jacks. Water comes out the tap at 7.2 pH and 6-700 ppm. Mostly Carbonates. I purchased a small RO system but from the research I have done I can just leave out the epsom or some of it. Should I spend the 50 bucks sending a sample off for analysis at JR Peters? Or just start around 1.4EC in veg (700ppm of part a/b) and raise until things look right? How about adjusting my pH? These will be in 5gal buckets under LED.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi all,

Few quick questions.

I have been reading about mixing stock solutions of Jack’s at 100:1 strength.

When doing this do you actually mix the parts together or would you have a separate bottle for each at 100:1 strength?

Thanks for all your insights!

Bammer

2 Likes

I mix as I go.
I havent heard of that. I’m on my first grow using jacks

You will want to keep the 2 concentrates separate.

4 Likes

I run Masterblend keeping my PH to 5.5 to under 6
Masterblend 4-18-38 along with added 15-5-0 magnesium sulfate, added Epsom salt - my plant are good to go. some time ago i was viewing YTV’s and ran across “MPHgardener” and his conversation just made sense - hook line and sinker ever since then…

4 Likes

You need to mix separately once mixed thoroughly

How strong can you make a stock solution? I found a recipe that shows 1000g Part A to 1gal distilled water. Can I get it stronger than that? 2000g?

yep keeping nutes separated no possible lockout use luke warm water to make sure everything dissolves

1 Like

If anyone is looking for a good deal on Jacks or a lot of other nute brands. https://growgreenmi.com/ Under the Dank deals section Cal nit is $35 and part A $45. The deals change daily and some days both bags offered together for $65 if I remember correctly. Shipping was very reasonable around $15 to me in Chicago. Only negatives I’ve found is you must spend $50 and most of the products offered in large quantities only. Hope this helps somebody!

1 Like

For anyone interested I cut my Cal Nitrate by 1/2 , and made up the difference by adding Calcium Chloride replacing exactly what I cut, my plants are happier and I will stay with this. YMMV

7 Likes

I’ve found I have to use both during flower to keep the calcium as high as possible (high ppfd leds, high relative humidity) or else I run into issues. I never realized that 1 gram of calcium nitrate is the exact same ppm Ca as the calcium chloride added (0.2g ish), cool.

I’m sure you already know but I was told to never go above 50ppm Ca with CaCl or else the chloride levels might harm the plant even though it is somewhat tolerant compared to some other plants.

I know it’s not jack’s but for those in the states that might be interested in checking out the MORR flowering formula. I don’t have access to it or else I would be giving it a try. It’s new atm so not sure if It’s avail everywhere but supposedly based off of years of collective tissue samples from many places cannabis specifically. The flowering formula is the one I’m actually interested in because the only added nitrogen is from the calcium nitrate so you’re able to hit very high Ca numbers if you wanted to not necessarily possible with the 5-12-26.

1 Like

Did you cut the Cal-nite because you are in flowering, and wanted to cut N? I’ve been using Calcium EDTA to boost Ca, but read that could cause issues. Where can you get calcium chloride?

2 Likes

Exactly, I wanted to cut the N and have one N sensitive plants at the moment and it helped, and the others that are not sensitive seem to love it also in flower.
Got mine off Amazon and a Home brew Shop sold it to me, so if you have a Home brew shop cloe by check them out as it appears it’s used in beer making

I should add that I’m in coco so build up should be minimal, but I’m no scientist by anyone’s standard

1 Like

do i have to flush with jacks or lower the ppm ? growing in coco

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I’m also in coco, and have a home brew shop a few miles away.

I’ve been having the same issues with a mostly Sativa blueberry hybrid that just seems to hate N over 100 ppm, and K over 150. It also wants tons of Ca, Mg. That’s why I started to use the Ca EDTA, but I think I’m starting to see issues related to it. Will definitely be picking up some Calcium chloride soon. Thanks again.

I usually just taper off the ppm with Jacks in coco.

2 Likes

After a few minutes of research It appears Cal chloride is simply ice melting salt, so it should be hitting most hardware stores soon for the winter season . The pellets would be hard to accurately measure though One ex: https://www.homedepot.com/p/50-lb-Calcium-Chloride-Ice-Melting-Pellets-7892/202590325?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-028_001_CHEMICALS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-028_001_CHEMICALS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000059845719-58700005436056249-92700049554889054&gclid=CjwKCAjwqeWKBhBFEiwABo_XBuxYrZ33HRpb82iHbj3pdkteGLyVrHGzie-YFaXKpN83mQuVilQmMBoCLNEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like