James' Money-Pit Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Octopot!

It was at this moment the @ifish “supercharger method” was born :wink:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-4-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Foam-Core-DWV-Pipe-PVC-04400-0600/100348480

I imagine using a smaller diameter tube with a rubber flange to “push out” the larger tube contents.

5 Likes

Split tube in half length ways
Might be easier to remove them separately

Slip stem between fingers of flat hand to use as rubber flange while pulling one half of tube out with the other hand and repeat

4 Likes

brilliant!

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea to me and PVC would last forever. It would be reusable for years.

2 Likes

Plenty of plastic in recycle bin
Soda bottles etc

3 Likes

And I’m telling the crowd, yep I was there when @ifish posted the idea…So simple, yet it makes perfect sense. I’m trying to poke holes in the idea but, nothing.

4 Likes

The down side is space

If keeping them in small mum / seedling room then tubes can’t be already in octo as they take up too much room , so tubes would have to beable to stand on thier own closer togeather till the roots pop out bottom or close then planted in octo etc etc

Depends on your set up

2 Likes

That’d be fairly easy to overcome. Just need a net/holder at top and bottom of however many tubes. They would support and stabilize each other. The halves could be secured together w zip tie.
Dating myself but something like two six pack plastic holders

Place the bottoms in a tub w water/nutes

3 Likes

I feed all my small pots by lifting and dunking them in small Rez
I don’t top water

Doesn’t take long to learn depth and time of dunk for plant and pot size to weight

5 Likes

@ifish you are the man!

Now. We just need to prove it out. Def a test subject.

2 Likes

Dunk 6 at once : ) might not be tall enough ( awquard )

Wine bottle type might be taller or crate type

2 Likes

And I appreciate you, Pigeonman! Stay tuned for otherworldly shit! lol

1 Like

Dude, I didnt even realize until I just happened to check your profile and saw… You’re a Kubrick fan, too! (or maybe Rocky & Bullwinkle :rofl:)
Now I feel like I kinda stole your thread name…but not bad enough to change it to something else!

Fans Unite!

3 Likes

Got the girls officially logged in my grow with Jane app

Just like with the Plants, I’m gonna try and not be so lazy this time with the Jane App - Lots of good tools built into this app to help with reminders, etc. Especially once I start utilizing the smaller tent. Jane’s good for more than just taking and sorting photos, lol.

6 Likes

Tonight, going to finish cleaning the nasty crap out of last grows Octopot. Its soaking in Dawn, lol.
Should be receiving new Octopot and Rocket sleeves today (says UPS).
Need to clean and prep 2x4 tent as well. Lots to do for Saturday.

That gives me a total of three 6-Gallon Octopots. 2 at a time in the 2x4 and 1 in the 2x2.5

Almost there…

4 Likes

One of my favorite thing about the octopot is you can occasionally be lazy. I often have to travel and the octo sit untouched for 5 days. When I come home like magic there just as healthy as when I left it always makes me smile lol when I started using the octopots I used compost tea and a bunch of other organic stuff that i learned researching but it just didnt work in the octopot the same as other systems. I use jacks and it doesn’t make the res nasty it stays fairly clean the whole grow. I do add a Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens product to help keep it clean. The ph stays dead on very easy to dial in and jacks is cheap. I’ve used megacrop in the past never in a octopot but I’d say it would also do really good on a octopot.

1 Like

Thats my favorite thing, too.
Kinda funny how Octopot can allow you to be lazy, but at the same time forces you to move your ass to keep up!
During my last grow, I left town for several days. Came back and plant was fine, but had nearly empty reservoir. Worked out perfect that I can disappear 3-5 days and not sweat it too much.

I just watch that level marker ease its way down thru my tent camera daily, lol.

1 Like

Yeah set it and forget it. I can tell you that once the res goes completely dry you still have a couple days before the plant will dry out. Octopots are a great system and do all the heavy lifting.

1 Like

Are you using ro water just curious

Yes I am.
Described in pretty good detail in my last grow diary. At that time, it was almost 500ppm, tested again yesterday just over 500PPM.

Counter top RO unit works well, but very slow. Once I have multipe plants in Octopots, its gonna be making water every night in prep.

1 Like