Jelly's Cab Adventures

The male is from a culled SSH male plant, I took a cutting of each plant before I flipped mostly just for practice, this little guy is the only one who survived.

I hear what you’re saying and at this point I should probably manually try extracting pollen then. He’s ready to be a daddy lol. (gonna knock up one lower bud on each plant, for seed stock)

As in my quoted post you replied to, i’ll have two varieties to play with. SSH, and SSH Male x Female Bagseed

Good to know it’s time to get his ass evicted.

Edit: This is going to be the reason I build a Space Bucket. I’ll have an isolated chamber for a male plant for pollen gathering. :slight_smile: Won’t take up much space, and I can practice breeding!

2 Likes

I couldn’t sleep at night with that little bastard sitting beside that FINE looking crop!
LOL
Good-Luck, man :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Does this cutting have roots? If so, the flowers will continue to form. If not, they will continue to form if there is sufficient light, even without roots!

Once you are ready to harvest the pollen, there are different techniques.

I was reading a thread where someone cuts the flowers just before they spill, very carefully and thoroughly dries them, vacuum packs with desiccant, and stores in a cool dark place, for years.

A quick run on how I learned @Muleskinner’s trick for storing pollen is is here.

1 Like

Pretty sure it wasn’t ready… that’s ok I think I’ve got enough seeds to play with for now. Male is now in the compost pile lol.

3 Likes

If you haven’t already trashed these bits, try drying them thoroughly, and see if you can get it to fly

1 Like

I already trashed em, I just realized, thanks to some awesome people here on OG :wink: I have more seeds than I’ll ever need for a while and It isn’t worth messing with right now.

1 Like

Depending on the project, if small, I take a clone off the male right before the sacs open, like the picture above. I take the clone long and place it in a cup of water by the window. Place a mirror or piece of glass under the branch and as long as there is no air movement it will fall and collect on the glass. Once you have enough remove all organic matter from the pollen if you are going to store it. If you have few pistols you want to pollenate, you can use a paintbrush and dip it in the pollen than lightly touch the pistols. If you want to pollenate only 1 branch, cover it with a bag than spray the whole plant untill it is super wet. Remove the bag and brush the dry pistols. place the bag back on with the pollen inside and respray the plant with water. The next day spray the plant, remove the bag, if pollenation was successfull spray the recently pollentated branch to kill all rouge pollen. Spray the whole room and plant with a misting bottle.

3 Likes

What I do is put them in my bathroom under the sink with a small CFL bulb. I put parchment paper down to collect the pollen. Once they open, pollen will fall easily. I collect it, then bring the doner plant in there and paint the pollen on the pistils. After a couple hours I spray everything down, take a shower, and change clothes before bringing the female back in the grow room.

2 Likes

Spray everything down? Even the plant you just pollinated?

Before bringing it back in, yes. Sometimes I keep them together over night.

1 Like

Is pollination instant like as soon as the pollen hits the female pistils it’s “locked” in and even when you spray a female plant down after pollination the job is done?

1 Like

Very quick, but the pollen has to make it to the right spot between the pistils.

4 Likes

Pretty quick, I usually wait over night just to be safe.

2 Likes

I like to pollinate small sections of a plant. So I spray water on the areas I want to remain seed free, and spray the whole plant after pollination within 15 minutes. Never an issue.

99%

3 Likes

I wait a few hours and then spray down. You’re spraying because there are extra grains of pollen all over the plant you just dusted.

Now that the pistils are fertilized you want to kill off every last grain of pollen on the plant’s leaves and flowers before putting her back in the flowering room.

2 Likes

Yup, what he said.

99%

1 Like
1 Like

quickly scanned the last part, but 4-5 days or more before it would potentially start to drop pollen.

Also as you noticed unripe pollen sacs don’t yield viable pollen. You have to wait till they pretty much open on their own for them to be viable they will start to change color and dry up looking more paper like when about time, but just let it go a day or two then throw it near a window or under a desk lamp to finish out.

Or if you wanted to keep it in the same cab and dont care about the odd random seed that wont be done come harvest of those other plants just turn off your fan and run it till it starts to open and genitally move the plant.

Still have a bit of time left, but you will want to play it safe or take precautions shortly.

3 Likes

30F!
Almost there. Stink has increased, the plants are drinking more as well. Res needs refilled and it’s only been 5 days. Starting to eat the lower leaves. I’ll mix up a new rez before I leave to head back out on the road today.

No pics but the auto is starting to put on frost. Airy dinky buds but eh, it’s all good.

14 Likes

And went ahead and mixed up another batch of nutes.

5 Gallons
30g of megacrop.
73F
2.1 EC
1075ppm
PH 5.6 (30ml PH down added)

I haven’t decided what I’m going to do on my next run. I really like the convenience of the blumats, and I also think if I had one plant, longer veg time, and a screen (Training) i’d be able to get way more out of my setup.

The one thing I do know, I want to try a lot of different strains to find “the one” for me lol.

1 Like