Johnnypotseed’s 3-ring circus - with autos, photos & sex…reversals, that is! (Part 7)

Thnx brother, they like the way I treat em, I reckon… lol
Nothing yellowing or dead/dying, everything green and glorious… just the way I wanna see it!

4 Likes

Mikey likey!!!
Nice looking garden, as usual.

3 Likes

Damn no wonder why you’re always so tired :crazy_face:
Looking good sir !

2 Likes

I think I may have experienced a case of “Devine intervention” today. Its a bit of a story, but stay with me.
I was at Wal-Mart getting groceries. They had no eggs. Zero. I kid you not. So I figured I would stop at Crest supermarket on the way to the house and pick up eggs. I had a brain fart and pulled into Target. By accident??? There was a very old man stumbling around in the parking lot. He passed right in front of my car. I remember thinking, poor guy. So I’m sitting there watching him and he looked lost. He went in between two parked cars and down he went. I slammed on the brakes and threw the car into parked and ran to help him get up. I asked him if he was lost. He said he could not find his car. He said it was an Acura, but forgot what color. I looked around and say an Acura. Is that your car. I don’t know, he said. Until we got right next to it and it was indeed his car. He thanked me and I left.
I say Devine intervention because, if I had not been in the wrong parking lot at that time there would have been no one to help him. SOMETHING made me go to the wrong store.
Guess that was my good deed for the day.

18 Likes

I reckon I’ll be seeing you good folks tomorrow, lol

Good Night OG!

9 Likes

Good Night OGJP! :facepunch:t3:

6 Likes

you say it like it’s a bad thing… fresh tortillas are a necessity. :taco: :burrito:

3 Likes

good morning @JohnnyPotseed and whole og!!! hope you had great christmas! :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Good Morning OG!

5 Likes

Good Morning JP and OGs :coffee:

I wish I could keep my mother plants happy. You’d gasp if I showed you the distress I have them in.
One more week till I can do anything with them. Rootbound, PH swings, and probably hungry too. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Mother plants, especially if they’re ‘long-lived’… have an entirely different regimen of ‘how-to’ all for themselves. There have been folks, like myself, that manage to keep mothers going for 4-7 yrs.or even longer. How old are yours?

edit… I see the ‘one more week before’, my friend. but that week can make or break em. If they’re in as bad shape as you say!

3 Likes

Not very old, maybe 7 months. I’ve had them in the 2 gallon since rooting them, they will get uppoted on into 3 gallons. Should I shave any root mass when I do up pot them?

Ill take a pic and show the horror.

LL

RP

GCP - probably the healthiest out of the three.

2 Likes

On mothers, the recommended thing to do is most definitely trim that root ball, about every 6 months. An inch or so off the bottom and all sides can make them come back strong.

2 Likes

Ok, how are you feeding them? Same as the rest of your plants? They’re not in that bad of shape (yet) and can be brought back very nice. Looks like you said, starved & rootbound, will make em suffer.
As soon as you can, trim the root ball, re-pot into 3gal, with a nice amended soil mix in the bottom and sides. But only give light feedings once a week, until you want to take clones, then a week or two before you want clones start a heavier feeding. Always trim em back, even if you just toss the trimming and don’t make clones. I trimmed my mothers every 2-3 weeks, whether or not taking clones.

5 Likes

Good morning OG!

8 Likes

Feeding them as if in Veg but lite strength.
7ml grow big, 15ml liquid plant food ( bat guano) in one gallon mixes.

I’m glad to hear that I still have time to whip them into shape. It’s my first set of mothers and it’s been trial by fire learning the ropes of keep them happy for the long haul.

Will do! I didn’t think about this before. Maybe that why I’ve been having a hard time cloning. Its laughable the success rate as of late.

Thanks brotha! :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Before coming back to Oklahoma, I kept mothers in 5" square pots (Bonsai) most of them were 5-7 yrs old. Now I use bigger pots, (3gal) and don’t keep them as long. But I am going to be working on grafting different strains onto only a few mothers, to keep plant count down and still have plenty of strain selection. Those WILL be kept longer. lol

2 Likes

Good morning JP and company!

3 Likes

:joy: probably so, attention to detail used to be my thing, not si much anymore

1 Like

Is that per plant? If so, I’d cut it back even more but maybe add a bit of Nitrogen, and also less overall volume, After trimming back (hard) drop the water to 1/2 gal or less per plant, at most
Mothers need to be kept small… easier to tend that way, and helps keep them living. When you want clones, jump the feed up and they’ll produce for you.
Keeping close to bare minimum of the plant’s needs to stay alive, can be tricky but helps if you want them to be around awhile. It might sound counter-productive. But it’s a mother… to be used for getting that strain(or cross) when you want it. Not to look all lush and full.