WMoon518's Garden

I didn’t know whether I should make a new thread for this, but I asked the question here, so I figured I would post here. It can always be moved, by “The Great and Powerful JOE” :laughing:

Okay, I finally got the chance to take a few photos. Well, when I say “got a chance” what I really mean is, there was NO WAY IN HELL, I was going to take photos with a bunch of WEEDS (and not the “good” kind) so I HAD to go ant pull and dig them out. Of course this meant 12 hours flat on my back, after, recuperating.

Any way, here is what I have to work with…

1 - Where the “Weed” will grow

Ignore the cesspool that is “The Pool” (which hasn’t been for over a decade - too long a story). This area, against the house is 2 foot deep and 14 feet long. The plants on the right will be going. The only thing that has grown here (besides weeds) is turnips, and that was about 6 years ago. There is also a “bowed” out space, at the left end, that I will probably use for something else. My thought was to dig this up to a foot deep and remove it to a tarp on the other side of the pool and mix up what I need to add to it. I’m thinking of changing that idea as I am now thinking of tilling and growing peanuts over the fall and early winter (should stay warm enough through December).

2 - Thin Strip

This section is 3.5 feet deep and 33 feet long. As you can see, it was originally a raised bed, but they messed it up cutting and grinding the trees. The trees were on the left three fourths of the area and the remaining only grew cabbage for one season. My thought is to bring this back to level and use the soil that will be removed in the other sections, preferably the next area I talk about. Being that it has full sun, all day, I will probably plant "hot weather plants here.

3 - Garden Area 2

This area is 4 feet wide and around 23 feet long. I say “around” as it is oddly shaped. It goes for 3 feet and then takes a 30 degree (I think) turn, to follow the patio. It is also 4 feet, because that is how far I went into the grass (non existent now). In the past, I rotated what was planted here with what I planted in the next area, every year (well there were only a few at that) and will probably do the same now. My thought is to use the dirt removed from the last area to make a raised bed here. Any leftover would be used in the next section. The area is somewhat shaded, in the morning, by a lemon tree and an orange tree and gets most of the sun in mid day (the house shields the late sun, some what).

4 - The Largest Area

This area is 6.5 feet deep (already defined) and 22 feet long. It could be another 4 or 5 feet longer if I went all the way to the corner, but I want to keep that empty for now. There used to be a Pepper Tree on the left end which was removed with all the others, so there is some decent soil and shavings on that end. This is the largest area in the yard and will swap this off with the other area every year, so loads of tomatoes, beans and peppers, every other year and reverse for cucumbers and squash (as an example).

There are other areas that I hope to take advantage of like a thin strip by Area 4 that goes along the fence to the gate. There are also some small strips by the front and side door that I hope to put flowering plants like Chicory and Cumin and one more area up front that had roses before and a palm at the street (since cut down, but HUGE stump still there).

I don’t know whether I will be able to get the testing done that @Meesh recommended, but am going to at least try to pick up a small soil testing kit to get an idea. So, let’s talk in generalities. What do I need to do for general growing and the 1st area for my future cannabis growing. Keep in mind that finances are extremely limited so I want to try to use as much “every day” things as possible. I would also love to just water everything, but I know this is not possible without all kinds of amendments so some “food” will have to be used. What ever y’all have would be greatly appreciated.

18 Likes

First things first. Which direction am I facing in each pic? Then I didn’t know which area you wanted to start first? I’d start piece by piece and with a gajillion bags of steer manure it’s like $1.00 a bag. Dig up weeds and grass, till the soil with some with manure, some grass and chopped up leaves and a layer of general 10-10-10 organic fertilizer and throw down a cover crop, like $10 bucks a bag.

By winter you will have some nitrogen in there and if you can swing it, like $60 for a soil test or maybe just a cheap soil kit the do it yourself kind then you can amend from there.

Oh and why you want the weed in the 2 foot wide bed? No No No. If I knew what direction they were I would say somewhere in number 4 mixed in the veggies. lol

5 Likes

The house faces the west, so the yard is on the east side of the house. The Wall is on the north side of the property and the fence (area #4) is on the south side of the property.

This is why I was going to plant the peanuts in area #1, the area for the cannabis in the spring. Peanuts are a Nitrogen fixer as well, and they are YUMMY!!! :laughing:

My thought was to use clover in the other areas. I will have to go to one of the lawn guys who cut in the area for the cuttings. Any suggestions as to the Steer Manure and fertilizer? How are the ones at The Despot?

i am going with area #1 for the cannabis as it is sheltered by the house and get indirect sun during the hot afternoon.

5 Likes

The south is gonna be the best sunshine, but the east works. You’ll just get smaller plants there because of the width restriction and the way your house is layed out less sun hours… I don’t think you are gonna get as much indirect sun as you think because from your direction the sun is gonna go directly over the house correct as it moves east to west, so the front of the house and area #4 are gonna have the best sun. The wall on the north and east are gonna be too shady I really think.

Peanuts are yummy, but I have read that peanuts deplete the other minerals in the soil. Entire populations of people in Africa have been displaced by French peanut farmers sucking dry their land leaving them in famine and genocide. So, I may not be the best one to ask regarding peanuts. lol Clover is good!

I think Lowe’s was cheaper but manure is cheap in general so if anything a few cents less

2 Likes

That area gives me the best area to grow and the least “visible” hence, NO PROBLEMS, if you know what I mean. I could use some of area #3, the angled area between the grass :laughing: and the patio.

What kind of ratio do you think on the manure? With an area that is around 80 s/f, I figure maybe 8-10 bags? will probably till to around a foot and than add about 4 inches on top (the pull from area #2 and the extra volume from the manure. Do you think that will be enough?

2 Likes

I would just measure it then convert it to cubic yards, I probably used an inch layer. Area 3 and 4 are connected right? I would use area 3 over area 1

If I recall the bags are sold in cubic yards… @WMoon518

Yes, but you were just “top dressing”, weren’t you? I am going to till it in.

No, they are on opposite sides of the lawn (that cracks me up every time I say it… Lawn… lol). The bags at both The Despot and “How Low Can You Go” are all 1 Cu Ft (28 qts)

I was able to read the label on the one from Lowe’s and they say 1:4. So 120 cuft (20x4x1.5) would be 30 bags. That just seems an awful lot.

I probably used a bag every 12 sq ft, and no I tilled every damn piece of dirt in my backyard. lol By hand and with a rototiller

@WMoon518 check through my Backyard Soil thread. I actually tilled it twice. Once in the fall with the manure/composting material and cover crop planting (I also put worms in there) and in the spring for amendments per soil test and spring growing.

That sounds right. That would be around 8 bags if I went heavy. That is definitely doable. Having a tiller is nice, isn’t it. I bought an 11" electric one a few years back. Just had the small areas, so it worked great. Really dug in too.

So you thing I would get bad results planting my cannabis against the house, with only 6-8 hours direct sun?

I guess I can do my Broccoli there.

If you really get that much. For shits and giggles track that spot for direct sun hours. Just to make sure. For some reason I just don’t think it does. I think it may stay bright, but not direct sun, but I’ve been wrong many times in my life. If it actually does 6-8 will do it. I just think it’s gonna shade that exact spot out earlier than you realize.

If I’m oriented properly part of area 3 or 4 is gonna shade out pic 1 planter pretty quickly in the day

Area #3 Will be shaded for the first few hours of the day, because of the citrus trees. Area #4 seems to get full sun all day. It is far enough from the citrus and is not shaded by the house. It “may” get a bit of shading in the early morning, but just the very back end.

If I remember correctly, the area #1 (against the house) had no shadow until about 1pm to 2pm today.

Then you’re good :+1:

I will check it out again tomorrow to be sure. Would be great if I could grow in both areas. I guess I will go down tomorrow and get a bunch of Manure and some fertilizer, after I take the old man for a cat scan. Be great if I can get it done by the weekend.

1 Like

If I’m reading all of this right I would expect the north fence (Area 4?) to get the most direct sunlight. If the front of the house faces east, back west, and you’re in the northern hemisphere, then the sun should be hitting that fence full on for the majority of the day. Same idea as planting on the south side of a hill or mountain.

No, the house faces West and area #4 (the area along the wood fence) is on the South side of the property. You are correct, though, that it does get the most direct sunlight of all of the backyard. The only one that gets close, I believe, is area #1 (on the North side - the block wall) which is also fairly clear of obstructions. The main problem with both these areas is that if tall enough, they could be seen from the street, which could cause problems.

2 Likes

That makes sense, and I understand full well. I’m still living in a prohibition police state myself, but the only thing you should have to worry about at this point is rippers. The hemp law basically threw out probable cause for marijuana. Both Florida and Pennsylvania have thrown out cases already as illegal searches. The smell or presence of plants is no longer probable cause because they cannot determine by sight if it is hemp or marijuana.

2 Likes

Pick up a few bags of chicken poop for diversity. They are the same price and from the same poop company

5 Likes

LOL He said Poop
Looks good buddy, you in the shit again?

2 Likes