Jones Organic Indoor Journal

That’s a big bed, your going to struggle to reach the plants at the back if you need to check them for anything, unless your 8ft tall of course lol. I just saw the little trap door at the back can you get in there?

Maybe I should leave my freeze dried coconut water to soak as well. it just seems to float around on the surface, its very hydrophobic, once you get your cover crop going, you wont need much mulch, other than the leaves you pull off your plants when trimming, but you can put some straw down in the mean time and the cover crop will grow through it. It will look great when its all green and lush in there.

You can put worms in your bed as well, I have them in my 10 gal pots.

As Badger said there is a peak time to use tea, 24 - 48 hours after starting, depending on water temps for mine, once it goes anaerobic and stinky its no good, so only make up what you can use in one go, 60 liters is a big load of tea lol.

1 Like

I’m just going off what tad said it helps with nutrient cycling, soil structure, composting organic matter among things so id like to give it a try and see if there’s a noticeable difference.

Oh or were you talking after brewing for so many hours? Tad says 24 to 30 is the best window up to 4 hours after its done. This is just info I gathered from his podcasts very interesting stuff :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Yeah there’s a door back there its a gorilla grow tent and I’m 6’2" so I don’t have to much issue lol added some worms earlier with the castings already and its 230 liters :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re going in the right direction then :wink:

2 Likes

Cover crop planted and mulched and watered with 3 gallons of coconut water :coconut::droplet: and you were right @Shadey the coconut didn’t totally dissolve but mostly I was just saying that based off my aloe experience and thanks @Badger its good to hear that I’ve burnt hundreds of dollars prolly more like thousands :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

It will pay off if you listen to the good advice around here. You will have some of the best smoke of your life, and a good supply at that.

6 Likes

Your soil is an investment like lights and tent, it should only get better.

The 24- 48 hours is how long it can take to be ready, with a good froth of bacteria for me, once It’s ready I use it all, any left overs go on the vegetables in summer or in my worm/soil bin in winter, I was given some Microbial Mass product by Aquatera a company and supporter here. It has bacteria that scavange and make all p and k available for the plants, its mixed with water and applied, I used just 2 teaspoons of it in 5 gals of water with a tablespoon of molasses, that made some great tea ready in just a couple of hours by the head on it.

4 Likes

Got a decent whirlpool going but doesn’t seem super bubbly? Hope this works this thing was expensive.

5 Likes

I’m not familiar, what type? I’ve got to upgrade next year, my pump isnt big enough. It looks fancy.

1 Like

It’s a vortex brewer from global garden supply but after adding the tea bags its not whirlpooling at all and not a lot of bubble action. Is there some way to post a short video?

6 Likes

I think you have to upload to Youtube or something similar, then put a link in the post

2 Likes

Pulling up a chair and some :popcorn:, then :eyes:

1 Like

Not sure what happened but at some point it started vortexing and I added a cup of molasses to be extra sure they have food early this morning and its looking pretty good from what I can tell :call_me_hand:t2: there’s a whirlpool under the big bubbles

9 Likes

Those bacteria are looking very active now, sometimes the water temperature needs to increase and get enough oxygen it before they really get going. If that’s sixty liters of water then it will take a little while to populate with bacteria.

Almost 230 liters I left a little off the top it was really full the bubbles didn’t appear until after the molasses was added but hopefully it’s still fine im gonna let it go for a couple more hours though

1 Like

230 liters, that’s a lot tea man :slight_smile: Yeah they need some carbohydrate to feed and breed, I use a table spoon of molasses in 20 liters of water to get them going.

Lol he tried giving me the 85 gallon for the same price I said man 60s gonna be plenty i originally planned for 6 65 gallon pots and that didn’t pan out the way I hoped so I improvised and moved inside for now and got a ton of extra juice

He has probably realized no one is going to buy something that big unless they are growing 100 big sized plants lol.

5 gals of tea is plenty for my 12 x10 gal pots, but it depends on many things though, and you have a big pile of soil in that tent to soak it all up :wink:

1 Like

So i ran into an issue where extraction point is super low to the ground and it won’t force through the expandable hose that I have so I ordered a 3’ rubber hose thinking it should be able to force through that and into my watering can but as long as I continue to add molasses for a food source the microbes should continue to produce and live correct? Its gonna take till Tuesday till I can even get the hose but ive gotten 5 gallons of organic unsulfured blackstrap molasses and just fed 2 cups

3 Likes

No, that is not how it works. The bacteria reproduce, then the larger organisms eat them. The peak will go down from there.

2 Likes