Jones Organic Indoor Journal

And it goes back and fourth right? Then the bacteria come in and eat protozoa or something once they starve off and so forth? Technically would need a microscope to know right?

Anyways I did manage to get about 30 gallons in until it started leaking on the floor on one side using a 5 gallon bucket. Thats gonna stink.

2 Likes

No, I don’t believe there is a good cycle if you let it go too long. You are correct though, if you can’t scope it, you are just guessing . I read the following in an article.

Can’t I just keep brewing it until I am ready to use it?

Hell to the no you can’t. If you just brew longer because you timed it’s application incorrectly you can easily make it go past the point of no return and end up being a “bad” tea, or even going anaerobic. After brewing and scoping a few teas you will know approximately the window when the tea will be finished, and you can plan accordingly. The microbes will eat up your food source, in and then begin to die off if you brew to long.

4 Likes

You can probably still use it, but it will not being all the benefits of using it at its peak. They used to and still do use leachate, right? Surely it will be better than that.

4 Likes

I switched over to making LABS 18 months ago, they store for longer periods, I still make teas occasionally, mostly fungal now.

3 Likes

Well i already invested over 3 bands on this vortex machine im using it lol

2 Likes

I just skip the whole tea thing and top dress with worm castings and water it in. Sometimes I’ll do a EWC extraction, put some EWC in cheese cloth and rinse it in water. But I am a lazy gardener.

Saw this video where she talks about fungal teas. She briefly discusses the EWC extraction I talked about above as a source of humic acids.

10 Likes

Interesting vid, never thought of humic acid being a food for fungi.

Normally I take a handful of moist EWC and a hand full of moist compost, mix it up in a bowl and sprinkle basalt over it, cover and leave for a week, until it gets covered in hairy fungus, then put in cheese cloth and hang in 5 gallon bucket of water with the airline, and add a table spoon of molasses.

I think I may just sprinkle it on the top of the pots and water in with some LABs now.

I think you are overdosing on LITFA fumes from your production plant :wink:

8 Likes

@ReikoX, @Shadey am i missing something here? Thought fungal was used at the end of the flowering cycle? At least from the podcasts im pretty sure that’s what was said ill have to go back and listen again.

4 Likes

As a general rule of thumb, yes. We are on a tangent, not suggesting you should be making fungal teas yet.

5 Likes

Yes you do, I normally apply around week 5 of flower, which is half way through for me, I like to give them plenty of time to finish.

4 Likes

2 weeks old today some of thes cover crop is coming through

11 Likes

Strange how some are more yellow than the others still :thinking: Otherwise looking good :+1:

1 Like

Yeah i don’t get it the one on the bottom right is the same as the 4 to the left that are yellowed all in the same soil

1 Like

The three yellow ones look bigger, so might just be growing faster and the chlorophyll production is not keeping up at the moment with the speed of growth, I see it often in mature plants but not often in seedlings. They look good otherwise.

2 Likes

Day 15

7 Likes

Looking at your first pic that shows strains, I see you planted them in the little compressed peat pots, I am wondering if they are struggling to get their roots through it, those 4 look to have got lighter in colour. It’s seems very odd that those 4 are not darkening up like the rest.

Edit no sure how I managed to reply to Badger instead of Mr Jones either lol.

2 Likes

Day 16

5 Likes

You know I wondered the same thing so one time after I watered I rubbed the top of one between my fingers to see how strong it was and it just basically dissolved between my fingers with almost no effort so I assume roots should have no problem growing through it at some point idk for sure that could possibly be the issue but theyre so easy to break through. If anything worms bacteria fungi something should decompose it right? All it is is leftover material from old growth forests branches and what not that weren’t usable to produce something else and it really does just dissolve so easy

4 Likes

I have this stuff maybe I should feed the girls that are struggling rn? It’s in a water only soil so I don’t wanna screw anything up what do ya think?

8 Likes

Don’t poke the badger :rofl:

2 Likes